Battery for S3? (i hate kwik fit)

henners

Reaction score
Apologies for starting a new thread on this, but have scoured the forum and can't find the answer...

I don't currently drive the S3 much, it can spend 2-3 months at a time just sat in a garage, so I appreciate the battery is gonna have to be fairly decent...but I've had about 6 batteries replaced by kwik fit in the last two years after each one of them has died.

I wouldnt have chosen kwik fit myself, but my battery died when I was out one day after the alternator was changed and the only place the AA would take me was kwik fit..

I'm pretty confident they're giving me underpowered batteries, but each time they've assured me it's the right one and it was just a dodgy batch (or other excuses) the last time.

Last time it packed up I made them get me one direct from Audi...but whaddaya know it's died again.

Can anyone tell me what the correct voltage/CCA should be for a 2002 BAM? Or where on the internet I can definitively find out?

The one in there has a part number of 000 915 105 DE, appears to be 12V, 540 A. I'm sure I've been told in the past that it should be anywhere from 640 - 740 CCA, anyone know?

I really need to find out today what it should be so that I can feel confident to properly rollock them first thing tomorrow - or otherwise to understand what's draining my battery! (Note, everytime it's died the AA have come and charged it and assured me there's no unusual drain anywhere).

Cheers fellas.

I think mine is 540 60Ah. 640+ is more diesel territory.

If there is power in the garage why not put a trickle charger on it, they can be picked up for under £20 ( I got mine for about a tenner from Aldi) and should solve your problems.

6 in two years seems fairly excessive though, are you sure there isn't a drain somewhere?

I'd disconnect the battery if it's parked up for 1-2 months. I hardly use my S3, and yes, it kills the battery with no use. I was using a calcium longlife battery, and killed 2 in 2 years, luckily both replaced under warranty.

Cheers boys, no power in the garage so no option to trickle charge without taking the battery out every time.

540 A definitely the right power then?

Too much like hassle to disconnect every time, think the reality is that I need to sell it, anyone want an S3?!

Yep mines 540. If it was underpowered, it would struggle to turn starter. At my local bike dealer they fit plugs so they can keep the battery's charged else they just lose power over time and die. Another option might be to go for a gel type battery as power loss is ment to be minimal, an expensive option though.

No sun near the garage otherwise that'd be great, how do you turn the alarm off?

sounds like you need to buy one of those batteries with a 3 year warranty.

I forget how man years I've owned my car - maybe 4+. your driving habbits are similar to mine i.e weeks and sometimes months in the garage without driving and my battery has only been replaced once. I have invested in one of the trickle/conditioning battery charges. I think a good battery should be good for at least 4 weeks idle (from my memory) and to start up without problems.

Obviously this sort of driving style (or the lack of it) is no good for the battery long term.