S3 Suspension upgrade options

Breezey

Reaction score
Hi all,

So i thought my S3 handled ok but after being a passenger in a spanking new 8P ive relised its a bit of a tank so whats the best option for upgrading coilovers?, one thing i dont want is the the ride height to change i like it just how it is but i suspect the stock suspension and bushes maybe a little tired, also wanting it to remain as oem as possible and ive been thinking would replacing with oem shocks/springs improve it much as all the components are getting on for 10 years old now.

Had a look at some coilover kits and after reading other threads am i right in saying most people go for H&R ?

Sorry bit of a noob when it comes to suspension just want the handling improved really, any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Bilstein b8s with eibach springs gave me a fairly standard ride height and improved things, but the apex springs that I currently have on give a sportier feel. The car now sits a bit lower but this has made it handle better.

Replacing everything with oem parts I'm sure will make an improvement as the current items are probably tired, but might be as expensive as the above.

Coil overs can get you low but you can choose the ride height, I don't have any experience of these though.

H&R Coilovers on mine even with 19's and H&R Anti-roll bars still rides well

You will probably be surprised how f@@ked your standard springs and dampers, I've just fitted coilies on mine today 1 of my front dampers was shagged and this was what my rear springs looked like
80d6416f.jpg
:scared2:

Ye the difference is amazing mate... It's like a totally different car... Everything nice and tight just how I like it:rock:

Thanks guys, as much as id like billsteins theres no way im gonna be able to afford 1.3k on suspension atleast thats what i saw them for, going to phone audi and just enquire as to how much new OEM stuff would be if its going to make an improveent but if its gonna be anywhere near a reasonable set of coilovers i dont think theres much point, i should of said a budget in the OP hoping for about 5-600 quid which puts H&R out of budget aswell anyone have any experiance with Weitec kits? Worth doing poly bushes/thicker anti roll bars that in itself isnt gonna be cheap.

I know absoloutly nothing about handling mods so relying on you guys dont want to go mega cheap like JOM/Jamex but in the middle whats gonna be the best bang for buck mod with regards to handling.

Cheers

Ahhh right i was on coilovers and saw the B16 kit didnt realise you could go separate springs.

Yeah man! That's what Im running and it's all good.

Could I bug you for a pic I your car so I can see the ride height and compare it to mine, what size wheels have you got 18" ?

Thanks

Sorry dude I've only got my iPad at the mo, I've got some good pics on my camera but no way to get them on to the bucket. I'll take one on my phone tomorrow. I only have avus' at the mo so it'll be on 17s

Was quoted just shy of £800 for TT s-line dampers, new top mounts, eibach springs, fitting and alignment.

Sorry dude I've only got my iPad at the mo, I've got some good pics on my camera but no way to get them on to the bucket. I'll take one on my phone tomorrow. I only have avus' at the mo so it'll be on 17s
No probs mate, thanks

Was quoted just shy of £800 for TT s-line dampers, new top mounts, eibach springs, fitting and alignment.

Cheers, i will be fitting myself so should save a nice amount of money on that price.

A quick mobile pic this is on Apex springs

2f5615b4.jpg

Last edited:
I can also recommend Bilstein B8s and H&R springs;

S3onBilsteinsandHRs2.jpg

If you didn't want to lower it at all I believe Bilstein also do standard-height dampers (B6s?), but then you'd need OEM springs which the dealers charge £££ for.
If I were you i'd go for B8s and Apex springs for around £600 - cheaper and superior to the original equipment in every way.

No probs mate, thanks

Cheers, i will be fitting myself so should save a nice amount of money on that price.

Price for parts came to £550 (springs, dampers, top mounts), i can give you part no. for the dampers if you want

and this was the height on Eibachs, different angle I know

DSC01015.jpg

That sits nice JS I hope mine ends up along those lines!

Thanks Dane.
That pic was taken after they'd been on for about a week, I think the fronts have settled a bit more now.
I'm very happy with them; looks, ride & handling.

Thanks alot guys the apex and h&r are just a smidge lower than what I wanted to go but the eibaacks look perfect, cheers JS nice to know what it looks like with the same wheels.

How it looks at the moment, looks like eibacks should be about the same:

IMG_0093-1.jpg