Which TDI?

S3 finatic

Limp mode
Reaction score
Hi all, i have just sold my Audi S3 because i just can't afford to run it any longer. I am looking to replace it with an A3 TDI on a 03-04 plate, but unsure which is the best/ most bhp to buy..

Which A3 Tdi has the greatest BHP?
Know anyone that has one for sale..

Won't 03 be 8l and 04 be 8p? I had an 04 8p 2.0tdi 140 and that was a very economical car with a decent amount of power as standard, was great when I got it remapped too

Dude, I would advise if you want a lot of car for the money, obviously budget dependent, get a 2000-2003 a3 8l pd130, or 2004 a3 8p tdi 140.

If you want something special like your s3, get an a3 tdi Quattro like me :)

In terms of power the 96-03 a3 came in a 1.9 90,110,130bhp variants. The 04-current came with 2.0 140,170bhp variants.

The 1.9 is audis original workhorse originating in the 80s, so is a little unrefined by today's standards, a proper diesel with a glob of torque in a really short burst. The 2.0 tdi is the new gen 16v diesel which has more petrol like characteristics with a wider higher revving power band. Both are really common and both are good, both will return 50mpg+, so it's all down to budget as to what chassis you can afford to wrap the derv in

In terms of power the 96-03 a3 came in a 1.9 90,110,130bhp variants. The 04-current came with 2.0 140,170bhp variants.

Pretty sure the 170 didn't come out until a bit later on, there was still a 1.9 tdi engine used in the 8p but it's only 100bhp and pretty underwhelming to drive

im sure the 1.9 in the 8p is only a 8 valve and pretty much for econom and nothing else.

Well got myself an A3 TDI {140} Sport

media.jpg

Quick update, will put more details and pcs up later.

Advertised in Auto trader for £5250, paid £4800 for it. Only faults found were very bad stone chips on bumper and bonnet, and bald rear tyres.
Car booked in for front end respray.

Spec:
2.0L DTI 140 Sport.
Full leather
Full Mot, little tax.
1 owner from new.
Full Audi service history.
No cruise control or air con.

I moved last year to a diesel from a S3, when i first got it i really thought id made the worse mistake ever in selling my s3 which i still miss today, but seeing the extra money in my bank every month soon made up for it.

Get a Revo on it will put a smile on your face

Surely paying to have half the car painted would have gone a long way to fuelling the S3 for quite a while...

Lovely car. You'll be loving the extra torque and mpg over the S3!

Costing me £250 to respray the bumper, bonnet, and blow the wings in. Friends price.
And i knocked £450 off the sale price to allow for the respray..

Keeping the S3 would cost me an extra £40 a week in fuel.

So think the move was a justified move.

Got to admit iv got my eyes on a mk5 gt tdi golf. The s3 just doesn't give me enough giggles for the money. Just wondering how much I'd get for mine...

Any chance we can see pics of the oil burner? Sounds a good spec...

Costing me £250 to respray the bumper, bonnet, and blow the wings in. Friends price.
And i knocked £450 off the sale price to allow for the respray..

Keeping the S3 would cost me an extra £40 a week in fuel.

So think the move was a justified move.

Lol what mileage are you doing?

If you want a laugh then a golf wont be much better than your S3

I realise they are boring, but s3 ain't exactly a powerhouse. Considering it would be half the cost to maintain and fuel a golf, worth it. Not only that, I'm fed up of messing about with cars, so maybe time for her to go

My dad's remapped Golf has more torque of the line then my remapped S3 and def shoves you in the back harder... Just runs out of puff but he still gets 50mpg which makes me sick <with envy!> Thinking of doing the same sportstractor.

My dad's remapped Golf has more torque of the line then my remapped S3 and def shoves you in the back harder... Just runs out of puff but he still gets 50mpg which makes me sick <with envy!> Thinking of doing the same sportstractor.

Don't do it, ive been a diesel man for the last couple of years golf mk4 130bhp tdi and mk5 170 tdi and im on the lookout for an S3 8l or mk5 gti. The novelty of fuel economy wears off after a while and you'll be bored. Unless your doing big miles.......you'll regret it!

i dont want to sound clever but i own both, i was going to go big turbo with my S3 but never did and i am not going to, the 2.0 TDI 170 black edition i have is brilliant its remapped and mid range is as quick or quicker than the S3. if i had one taken away from me it would be the S3, thrashing the TDI and still getting 46mpg is a no brainer, to be honest though i rarely drive that way and normally get 51-54mpg with mixed driving. ps ive always loved the wheels on the sport model.

mines an 09, i think the 140 came out in 2003 and the 170 in 2007 i may be wrong im just going of memory, im told the 140 is better to mod but the commonrail 170 revs higher and gives a more petrol engine feel. im at crispy kreems monthly meet in manchester sunday i will be going in the TDI anyone is welcome to take it for a spin. its a loverly looking car anthracite wheels blacked out rear windows bose flat bottom steering wheel piano black interior leather bucket seats and over 50mpg!!!!!!!!!!!!!.

Don't do it, ive been a diesel man for the last couple of years golf mk4 130bhp tdi and mk5 170 tdi and im on the lookout for an S3 8l or mk5 gti. The novelty of fuel economy wears off after a while and you'll be bored. Unless your doing big miles.......you'll regret it!

Agreed my van is the nearest im getting to a soot chucker.....