Boost noise issue

Blounter

Reaction score
Have been getting a squealing noise on my S3 BAM the last couple of weeks. The boost builds up then the squealing/shrieking starts,usually when you've got the car under load or planting your foot. Got a my vag mechanic friend to take a peek and he suggested change the dv valve which I did this morning with a forge item but on the test drive the noise was still there,maybe not as noisy but still present. I've had a poke around at top of engine and no pipes seem loose. The only time I've heard anything like this was on my seat leon fr 170bhp when the cambelt tensioner was failing at 20k miles,but with a slightly different noise. My cambelt was changed 30k ago so don't really want to go that route on a hunch. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Make sure the bolts from turbo to manifold are nice and tight! I had exactly what your describing and thats what it was

Had the same on mine a couple of months back and it was the the orange pipe as above that was the fault it was coming away from the turbo even with new clip on it, apparently its a common issue as they deteriate with age, I have now fitted a forge silicon one and have had no problems since, costs about £60 instead of £130 for an original from Audi.

Took the orange pipe off today and it looks fine. Thought I'd cracked it when I was tighten various jubilee clips around the engine bay and the one on the pipe from air box to turbo snapped,replaced it,went on test drive and thought bingo!!!........a few miles later it reappeared! Am I correct in saying a pressure test can be done? If it is a boost leak wouldn't it happen all the time rather than when the engine is well warm. It also doesn't have seem to effect performance that much?

I thought my WRX was temperamental!!! all part of the fun i suppose :-/

ello mate.....

Did you find the orange pipe coming off the top of the turbo? I had it off myself a few weeks prior to you taking the car, all seemed well but nothing to say its not failed......

Tim

haha posted at same time......

yes you can get a pressure test done, think they use smoke at a certain psi to check for leaks....... i never did that though as most obvious boost leaks would flag a fault or worse, the engine light....you should notice it in performance, more at the top end where the car would drop off quicker in my experience......

I never checked the bottom pipes running to both intercoolers so they too are a possibility, especially as small amounts of oil tend to settle there over the cars life, leaked ever so slightly through the hockey puck valve to the top right of the engine.

Edit : I did a hell of a lot to it, replacing loads of bits :laugh: imagine having bought a shed ;) :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Been poking about engine bay today still looking for squealing culprit and thought I'd remove Tip off turbo to check for play and the shaft doesn't seem to have much play at all:happy:,very slightly side to side and thats it. Their was some oil residue on inside off the pipe,is this ok?

Sounds like it could be cavitation, what TIP does it have an oem one or a Forge type jobbie?

I reckon from the right hand side,from the drivers seat,but it doesn't sound like your links u sent.cheers tho.might try and record it myself and upload it?

its not that squeel that i descibed to you is it, does it in the higher gears and sometimes louder than other times but mostly in third when accelerating from low revs? its done that ever since i bought it, at first i thought the turbo was on its way but apparently it would do it all the time if that was the case....i never got to the bottom of it and the car was seen by JBS for fault finding a few times......

yeah tim I was thinking turbo which is why I checked the shaft play earlier today,I know this doesn't rule it out but like you said it would happen all the time if the turbo was at fault ,and no blue smoke is present from the exhaust.....? Because I think it's right side of engine I keep thinking cambelt tensioner but not 100%. I find 4th/5th is best to hear it pulling from low revs and flooring it. Will try and record it from cabin or tape my phone to rocker cover if needs be!!!:laugh:Will try and upload it (?) see if anyone can recognise it.

Good luck with it mate....a few people said to me that it was the custom code map that caused it....few have had similar issues, gone elsewhere and cured it.....dont ask me how n not a cheap check

You gonna get yaself along to some shows this year? Audis in the park, thats near you I think

Did you ever find the cause of this noise mate? I have heard that it is either the turbo trying to suck more air than it is able to (something to do with map) or even the MAF/turbo screen resonating?? I have the exact same symptoms as you on a BAM s3 with revo.

Reactions: darren t
Need to bump this,
Anyone had these symptoms and found a solution? could this be the cambelt tensioner? If i put my map to standard with the SPS then it won't make the noise anymore so i think its the extra power/boost when mapped which makes the noise louder. Boost sometimes feels restrained under acceleration when it makes this noise so i am also inclined towards n75 or n249? will try to get a decent recording.

I think ive got the same noise ive bin told to check the tip as it might have a split in it going to put the video on facebook page as i cant get it up on here add me on fb to hear the noise ive got. Tony ally vanden

Cool, i will have a listen this evening. Doubt it will be the same as mine though as i have had it before and after updating TIP to a forge type product. (unless that isn't the cause of your noise either?) Really worries me cause it sounds 'sinister' and gets worse when i tweak my REVO map with SPS. no-one has VAG-com near me so think i will have to take it to a REVO tuner and get them to have a look. Gonna have to try and get a vid up of the noise but don't like driving with it like it!

had somthing similar was to do with fmic i had put the clip on to far down the pipe and was still passing a little bit of air though and causing a squeele as the air was passing though a tight gap moved the hose clamp further towards the end of the pipe problem solved. i would check where the hose clips are connected sounds daft but if it not on the end of the pipe some air can still pass through the clamp even if it rearly tightend up

To be honest i dont think it has anything to do with cavitation or down pipe or a the remap. Mine was remapped for a good 6 months and never made the screeching noise. It only started when i switched my dv 180% test drove it and felt like something blewoff or up then the screeching noise started. My mate had the exact same noise ona starlet turbo and that was down to his top mount intercooler not fitted prob. Im thinking the cooler core has collapsed and blew a small hole in there somewere. Gonna fit a fmic to see if this stops the noise if not then leads me to one last thing hair line crack in the turbo housing or mani

Squeal still there mate. I just put up with it now,don't think it's anything to worry bout just the turbo struggling with the remap??

Squeal is still there but it is weird half throttle at 0.7 boost feels quick than full throttle at1.4 bar its defO a air leak sum where