1.8T engine remap. What is the real deal.

tomost

Reaction score
Having had my standard 99 A3 1.8T for only three weeks, the thirst for more power is getting greater.

For everyone who has had their 150bhp 1.8T car 'chipped' remapped etc. what is the real deal on the result.
I'm not interested in bhp figures but a honest opinion on the 'real on the road performance' of the car. How does it drive after the upgrade. I know there are posts which say it is worhtwhile but please expand on that and tell all.

How big a grin on my face /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif am I going to have if i get this done.

Cheers in advance.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/froggie_red.gif
tomo.

Tom,

The difference is night and day! Its MUCH quicker than standard throughout the revs and gears and will give you a big grin when you drive it.

Rich

Tom

you could try driving and S3 to get an impression of the difference. Obviously not a direct comparison. but close enough me thinks

Check with your insurance first though! Bell Direct wont cover my car with power increases!:(

Ian

I thought that the A3 1.8T was 180bhp not 150bhp, or is the 1.8T Quatty the 180?

LOL, Mine still has more TALK than yrs, lmao!!

go for it, best 400 quid i ever spent. grin factor 9..... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Tom

I have the NDBW as 97 or 98 R plate 1.8T which revo said would go from 150bhp to 190 bhp with their upgrade, which is now only £399 plus by the way. But to be honest it feels like a hell of a lot more, the performance of the car is fantastic and it is a joy to drive and is very liveley.So much so that I you go for the upgrade I would recommend upgrading the tyres from standard to say Goodyear Eagle F1's and wheel size to 225/45/17's which will improve the handling no end.

Also worth considering is to change the MAF sensor at the same time to make sure you are getting the most from the upgrade.

You will certainly not regret spending the money, you'll have a car that's every bit as quick as a standard S3 or TT 210 or 225 (except around corners in the wet). for a fraction of the cost. I doubt you could buy a better alround package (combination of performance, handling, class and comfort) for the money!!

Good luck Go for It

Jimbo

Tom,

You'l be grinning all the way home and then more!

There is a huge difference! Honestly, just do it!

Rich.

Cheers for the replies. Sounds like a remap gives you a brand new car. I am going to have to save some pennies and change my insurance company.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hug.gif

[ QUOTE ]
jimbogrey said:
Also worth considering is to change the MAF sensor at the same time to make sure you are getting the most from the upgrade.

[/ QUOTE ]

Unless its faulty, there is no need to replace it!

Rich

Does anyone know how to the get the above link, that Drew posted, to work??? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

tomo.

[ QUOTE ]
TomoA3Turbo said:
Does anyone know how to the get the above link, that Drew posted, to work??? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

tomo.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah Click Here /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

ta /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/froggie_red.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/froggie_red.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/froggie_red.gif