S3 Temp sensor & EVAP Emission

sanj_c

Reaction score
Hi Guys

I had the EPL light come up on the dash in solid state. Initially I thought it would go away once I switch the car off and on again. I was wrong and it stays on.

Got a mate of mine to plug the good old vagcom in - Found two faults. 1. 16825 - Evap Emissions Control Sys: Incorrect Flow - Intermittent. 2. 17704 - Error in mapped cooling system (Check temp-sensor and thermostat).

Can a dodgy temp sensor and stat cause these faults? My mate was telling me that if the temp sensor is nakard, then it can have an affect on your exhaust emissions. I've also noticed that sometimes when I have the car running for about 10 min - say going to the peti station, it will start fine but when I switch it off and then on again, it will struggle to start :ermm:...

What do you think guys??

Thanks

The 1st error looks like its some sort of leak somewhere, reading up on it, its suggesting the petrol cap??

The 2nd error is pointing at the stat or CTS, when driving, does the temp sit on 90 all the time??

If not and its fluctuating, it could be the Stat thats shot, its a cheap fix, but a mission to get to.

If its not moving at all, I would say its the CTS, these are a cheap and easy fix.

Hey Nil. I checked the petrol cap and there's no leakage there mate. My temp sender seems normal - always stays bang on 90. Is the CTS mounted on the stat? Is it a separate part? I had the problem before and I got the code cleared. It's now come back so it must be a dodgy sensor or something??

16825/P0441/001089 - EVAP Emission Control Sys: Incorrect Flow

Possible Symptoms

• Malfunction Indicator Light (MIL) active
Possible Causes

• Evaporative Emission (EVAP) Canister Purge Regulator Valve (N80) faulty/jammed
  • Evaporative Emission (EVAP) Canister Purge Solenoid Valve (N115) faulty/jammed
  • Evaporative Emission (EVAP) Canister Sealing faulty
  • Pipes between Tank Breathing and Throttle Body leaky/blocked
Possible Solutions

• Check Evaporative Emission (EVAP) Canister Purge Regulator Valve (N80)
    • Perform Output Test
  • Check Evaporative Emission (EVAP) Canister Purge Solenoid Valve (N115)
  • Check Evaporative Emission (EVAP) Canister
    • Perform Basic Setting
  • Check Pipes between Tank Breathing and Throttle Body
Special Notes

• When found in the NAR 1.8T Audi A4 1.8T check TSB 24-08-78 or 2010268/3 or Pass-Thru equivalent TSB
  • When found in the NAR 1.8T VW Passat 1.8T check TSB 01-09-09 or 2005554 or Pass-Thru equivalent TSB
    • Note: The Passat 26E5 or "R5" recall includes the same software update

17704/P1296/004758 - Error in Mapped Cooling System

Possible Symptoms

• Cold start issues
Possible Causes

• Coolant Temperature Sensor (G62) faulty
  • Coolant Thermostat faulty
Possible Solutions

• Check Coolant Temperature Sensor (G62)
  • Check Coolant Thermostat
Special Notes

• Check the stored Freeze Frame data with this fault code. Freeze Frame information will be found in the fault code description (if the module supports it) or in Generic OBD-II if the vehicle complies with those regulations.
    • Freeze Frame data stored at -40*C is generally an indication of a faulty ECT or wiring.
    • Freeze Frame data stored at +140*C is generally an indication of a faulty ECT or wiring.
    • Freeze Frame data stored with in the 68*C ~ 80*C range is an indication that the vehicle was close to, but not within, the cooling systems normal operation range. The Thermostat itself or Cooling system components may be at fault.

The CTS is a seperate part, easy to get to, its not on the Stat, so not too bad, think there only about a tenner.

Ok cool. So it's probably worth getting the stat and CTS changed at the same time. I think the one which is worrying me more is the evap error. Looks like it's something to do with the throttle body or some pipes maybe?? Thanks with all the replies guys, keep them coming.

On a separate issue, I've seen the thread where Audi are recalling all petrol cars for coil replacement. Well I went to Birmingham Audi, and they have booked my car in with a courtesy car. The recall appeared as soon as he put the chassis number in the system :)

I dont think it will be the stat mate, the evap error does look pipe related, have you done a google search on it??

It brings up quite a bit of decent and helpful info.....

I had my car in on Monday, got an S3 courtesy car....did you ask for that??

Reactions: Grim8P1