25mm lowering springs

ravi

Reaction score
Hi,
Has anyone lowered their s3 just by changing the springs on the standard 17" avus wheels. What's the ride like?

I was looking at the Eibach springs. Are they good? Any other recommendations?

Is ok just to change the springs on the standard dampers?

Help is appreciated.
Thanks

my shocks are about 40k miles old and i was advised that they would NOT be up to the job of handeling stiffer springs.

best to upgrade to sports shocks i think

also i think H&R are the best choice for ride confort. £150 inc VAT for the springs.

a set of decent sport shocks can be around £400 though

I've got Eibach springs on Bilstein shocks and the ride is superb!

You can't really go wrong with either Eibach or H&R for the S3.

I've got Eibach springs only, using standard shocks. Haven't had any problems with it, except finding out that I needed adjustable rear tiebars to sort out the rear negative camber. These are around £300, plus fitting.
I payed £250 for mine, as someone at qst quoted me the wrong price, so was committed to selling them at that price. Also Eibach subsidised £100 towards it, because it was their springs which caused the problem.

Now the car changes direction noticeably easier and quicker, not to mention that it looks much cooler.

Need to be careful on speed humps....

Any lowering will cause too much negative camber and the only way to resolve it is by fitting the adjustable tiebars which cost £250 from Forgemotorsport.

I have no idea why Eibach would give you compensation for this!

cool, i may try that then..... complain to H&R and see if they will buy me some adjustable tie bars /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

i need to get agreement from my insurance but as soon as i do i will be getting H&R springs, Bilstein shocks and and adjustable tie bar to start. uprated ARBs to come later though

for a performance car the S3 has shocking handling!!! had it sideways the other day

[ QUOTE ]
g6rav said:
Has anyone lowered their s3 just by changing the springs on the standard 17" avus wheels.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. A long time ago...

[ QUOTE ]

What's the ride like?

[/ QUOTE ]

The ride is fine - dependant on how low you go and how high a quality (how well developed) the lowered springs are.

Fitting H&R or Eibach springs won't kill the ride...it'll be stiffer than standard nut it won't knock your fillings out on speedbumps, if that's what you are worried about.

[ QUOTE ]

I was looking at the Eibach springs. Are they good? Any other recommendations?

[/ QUOTE ]

Eibach are fine....if slightly stiffer than the H&Rs - that is to say they seem slightly less complient on the first few mm's of travel.
Some will prefer that...

[ QUOTE ]

Is ok just to change the springs on the standard dampers?

[/ QUOTE ]

Will it work? Yes.
Will it handle better? Yes. To a point.
Will it be nice to drive? No, not really.
Will it make the car quicker point to point...probably...but you'll struggle to keep control.

OK if the car is brand new...mine were fitted to a new car and wore the dampers out in a year or so...assuming your car has any miles on it, the standard dampers are best thrown in the bit. They are awful, at best.

You see, the standard dampers are under-damped standard, add stiffer springs and they run out of ideas when you push on. you will find that at moderate speeds they will be fine...and at high speeds you will be fighting the car to keep it tracking straight as the suspension loses it's grip of the heavy car, and wallows all over the road.

It will be quicker...if you have the ability and the balls to keep your foot in, and drive round it...but it's not ideal.

Also, with standard dampers you will hit the bumpstops quicker - giving terminal understeer, and with the weak dampers unable to control the car's weight over yumps, you'll risk catching the sump on a hard landing (ask how I know? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif )

The dampers are the weak link in the S3's suspension - the standard springs aren't bad.
If you want to actually drive the car, change the dampers to something decent (Bilstein would be my choice (was my choice) or Koni).

If you only want a lowered look for parking outside the local wine bar and impressing the girlies...go for the springs only.
Best you look out some sea-sickness pills though, if you go this route.

If you are a real driver, do your self a favour and change the springs and dampers.
If you can justify it...also consider a pair of uprated anti-roll bars.
...and don't forget to get the suspension set up more aggressively than standard.
...and have a play with your tyre pressures too...there are gains to be found there.

[ QUOTE ]
jedi-knight83 said:
had it sideways the other day

[/ QUOTE ]

How do you get the opportunity to get the car sideways on a public road? I think I need to get myself away from these ****** london roads and on to some nice B roads /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

i didnt intend on having it sideways... i was using a road i used many times in the corrado and trying it a similar speeds... there is a section that goes into a dip then over a crest while turning right then left.. i started to understeer massivly (TOWARDS A WALL) so a quick jerk on the wheel and prod of the brakes sorted it out but gave me a shed load of oversteer!!! luckily i had my wits about me but thats the last of the spirited driving till i sort the suspension out!!! its simply not up to the job!

[ QUOTE ]
jedi-knight83 said:
i didnt intend on having it sideways... i was using a road i used many times in the corrado and trying it a similar speeds... there is a section that goes into a dip then over a crest while turning right then left.. i started to understeer massivly (TOWARDS A WALL) so a quick jerk on the wheel and prod of the brakes sorted it out but gave me a shed load of oversteer!!! luckily i had my wits about me but thats the last of the spirited driving till i sort the suspension out!!! its simply not up to the job!

[/ QUOTE ]
Understeer... in an S3? No... not possible! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Imola S3 said:
Any lowering will cause too much negative camber and the only way to resolve it is by fitting the adjustable tiebars which cost £250 from Forgemotorsport.

I have no idea why Eibach would give you compensation for this!

[/ QUOTE ]

I wasn't sure that they would either, but I gave it a go and rang them up. You see when I bought them I was promised I wouldn't need to fit anything else, but the wheel alignment figures proved otherwise. So they chipped in half the cost. Not bad eh?

Ess_Three, how can I tell if my springs are past their sell by date? The car had 30k on the clock when I fitted my Eibach springs.
It seems to handle fine at the moment.

Cheers