Window Tinting

necroeire

Reaction score
Hi all, I'm looking for some info on getting my windows tinted, does anyone know where I can get it done or what about the kits for DIY?

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/goofy.gif

[ QUOTE ]
NecroEire said:
Hi all, I'm looking for some info on getting my windows tinted, does anyone know where I can get it done or what about the kits for DIY?

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/goofy.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

The law has changed and basically what you can have done legally isn't worth having IMO. DIY kits look cr*p 99.9% of the time.

Mr Positive eh? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Adam

Not sure what the Law says about it here but I'll check it out before I do anything.

Thanks for your advice.

The law is:

tinting front windows (forward of the B-pillar) is now illegal regardless of tinting percentage.

rear windows (behind the B-pillar) can be any percentage of tint.

I've got medium smoke tint all round and (touch wood) I've never been pulled over by plod.

S3%20with%2019s%202.jpg

Hi,

I dont want to start an argument but I called a guy the other day and he said that 30% was ok for front (driver and passenger not screen) and 20% for rears and back window. Although you would probably go for 30% all round sides and 20% on back or it looks odd. The percentage is how much light can get through to the cabin.

Give this guy a call as he is really informative /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/snore.gif and will be able to tell you what is what.

www.autofastltd.co.uk 01883 337110

If I am wrong then I apologise, but I only called the other day. This does all seem a bit odd though as how will they police factory tints and would you buy a car with tints from now on if they are illegal /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

I am pretty sure it is just the amount of light gets in that classes it as legal or not.

Whatever you decide to do I would get them professionally done as you get a better finish. This place actaully removes the windows and bakes them in an oven. They get a lifetime guarantee and do Range Rovers etc. They also pick your car up and redeliver it. (Kent area)

Hope it helps

Rob /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

CHANGES TO WINDOW TINTING REGULATIONS

As you may now be aware, there has been an amendment to Section 32 of the Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations to include "Window Tint Films" where such materials attached to the glass are capable of reducing the Visual Light Transmission of the forward windows to below prescribed levels (70% VLT).

This will effectively ban, from 1st January 2004, the practice of applying almost all tinted films to windows forward of the "B" post on any vehicle that is to be driven on UK roads.

More info here.

That seems fairly serious /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

I just read the attachment and would definitely not consider tinting my windows now. Can you imagine getting stopped and being given a prohibition notice and not being able to drive your car. Trying to remove baked on tints is going to really need some nails /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Imola S3 you are now the resident window tinting expert /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Rob

[ QUOTE ]
rob.a3.quattro.sport said:
Imola S3 you are now the resident window tinting expert /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
Ha ha... I prefer the King of Bling! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

that still means u can get a 30% tint on passenger and drivers tho as it will be 70% allowed in. no?

I think it looks very nova ned (chav - you would say down south) anyway!! Pretty much every ned-mobile with its w*nker lights, catering baked bean tin exhaust, 'deep bass' sound sytsem', stick on chrome effect dash has its windows tinted up here in glasgow. Sorry to the king of bling /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Personally i'm quite happy with it - so i don't get blinded by the Elizabeth Duke 'jewellery' been worn by the driver!!

Plus how's that stunning lady in the car next to you to see the handsome driver of such a prestigous vehicle with tints /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Right - enough dreaming and back to work /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I think light tints can complement the the car's look. This is how my car came to me and I like it. Another bonus is that the cabin doesn't heat up as much in the summer. alot of other cars now have ligth tints and even the manufactuers such as BMW etc offer this as an option on new cars. This must mean more poeple are taking up on this option to enhance the styling of their cars.

Here is a pic of mine got it done a few months back. 30% all round light smoke tint they call it. The back looks darker as the backwindow is also done so it doesn't look dark at the back too much just a nice finish.

side view .
The place is in West London. the webaddress is www.tintacar.co.uk they were very good, you get a courtesy car and all under £400

[ QUOTE ]
chucky said:
Here is a pic of mine got it done a few months back. 30% all round light smoke tint they call it. The back looks darker as the backwindow is also done so it doesn't look dark at the back too much just a nice finish.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice looking car, almost identical to mine.

Don't suppose you have a pic of the porker calipers under the RS6 wheels do you? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Cheers,
Adam

monty77 & chucky sorry to ask a diffrent question to the post but where did you get the wheels from and do you have any details?

[ QUOTE ]
adcooper said:
monty77 & chucky sorry to ask a diffrent question to the post but where did you get the wheels from and do you have any details?

[/ QUOTE ]

Mine came from Rochford tyres - 18" RS6 replicas. Mine were on the car when I bought it.

http://www.rochfordtyres.co.uk/

..the cheap package comes with Avon tyres which are pretty crappy, I'd pay the extra for decent rubber - especially this time of year.

Adam

A

monty that pic is before the porsche brakes. Not had a chance to take any more recent pics. mine are Rs6 replicas and from rochford, but i got agood deal from another audi forum site, I didn't want any crappy tyres wanted the goodyears F1 GSD3 as they are awesome. If you are interested let me know i'll sort a good price out for you. It won't be silly money all under £1k