Difference in Driveshafts between models?

Prawn

My other car is a MINI!!!!
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Guys, I need a new O/S driveshaft for my 98 1.8T.

I've noticed that there are loads for sale for them on ebay, but some have the thick flange on the inner CV, and some have a thin flange.

So long as I buy a complete shaft with both CV's, does it matter if it's thick or thin flanged? I think the bolt circle is the same on thick and thin.

The output shafts on the gearbox look the same, so I'd imagine the total length to the mounting face would be the same, just using different length bolts?

Any help would be great, as I need a driveshaft ASAP as mine's died, again.

the box I'm about to fit is an 02J from an ibiza. i imagine the output flange will be the same as my 02J box from the AGU engine'd A3 won't it?

Cheers folks!

nick

well that's what I'm wondering Karl.

I currently have this driveflange:
7150dd9b.jpg

The inner CV's on it at the moment are like one on the right in this pic, thick flange.

Will the one on the left work with the same flange?

swap042.jpg

It has been very quiete on here recently!

Have you tried firing a PM to Bill or Tuffty, they'll probably be busy all day though. Alternatively blast a post onto the Seat forum.

Im glad you posted this actually as I'm wanting to get some driveshafts built up with new inner and outer cv's ready to swap out my existing ones, so am needing to know this!

Also, the manual states use a driveshaft puller for removal, is this the case or can you just mallet it out from the hub (once the inner is free and hanging obviously)?

There is a difference with the two shafts the one on the right is refered to as a 100mm driveshaft which is the diameter of the flange the other is 90mm I believe. I know this through experience, I once bought the left one off ebay without checking mine and they don't fit. Scirocco/Golf 100mm Driveshafts on eBay (end time 08-Mar-11 18:55:15 GMT). Heres an ebay link to the 100mm shafts but these are a pair, I got a recon shaft from a local motorfactors for around £90. As for the 02J box, I'm pretty sure the agu has this box too but I'm not 100% on this but if it's the shaft on the right in the pic that you end up needing make sure you say they are the 100mm ones.

You might even get an idiot like when I was phoning around and when I said they were the 100mm flange type he said "they don't make them that short" :lmfao:.

Edit: I didn't read your first post properly :keule:, I would say the 02j box off the Ibiza will have the same outputs as the 02j on the A3, again I don't know for sure but it would be a bit weird if they were different as it's the same code.

Last edited: