Dogbone Bush Problems!

Reaction score
I've spent today doing some bits on the car, namely rear caliper return springs, some new aesthetic engine parts (covers etc) and the diesel dogbone bush.

Everything went well apart from the dogbone bush, when trying to undo the 13mm bolts which attach the mount to the subframe, one of the bolt heads sheared clean off :(

I've now aborted the job until I have new bolts, but I need some info/advice:

1. Anybody know the part numbers for the 13mm bolts?
2. Has anyone got any ideas how I can get the rest of the bolt out of the mount?

At least the caliper springs went in ok (handbrake is great now) and the engine bay looks tidier....

Last edited:
Drill it out? Cant you buy a removal kit aswel?

I'm not sure about drilling it out but I like the idea of a removal kit....it's google time.

if you mean easi out, don't do it!! they snap off and they are the hardest thing to drill ever! i blunted 6 cobalt drill bits removing one once. did it snap flush? if not, mole grips and heat...

Have you got the part numbers for the springs, and where to get them .....
plenty of lube on the snapped bolt then try drilling and put a left hand screw in...or get a nice little chisel and tap away

if you mean easi out, don't do it!! they snap off and they are the hardest thing to drill ever! i blunted 6 cobalt drill bits removing one once. did it snap flush? if not, mole grips and heat...

It snapped flush to the dogbone mount so if I can get the mount off over what remains of the bolt then I might have something to play with. I'm not going to try until I have the new bolts though.

Have you got the part numbers for the springs, and where to get them .....
plenty of lube on the snapped bolt then try drilling and put a left hand screw in...or get a nice little chisel and tap away

The part numbers for the springs are 7M0 615 295 and 7M0 615 296. I got them from Stoke Audi off here, they were about £4 delivered, well worth it IMO. Dead easy to fit too, info here mk4 golf rear caliper - modification to help unstick handbrake - Club GTI

Ok, I've had a look on vagcat and it looks like the 13mm bolts are part number N10268302...

just done my clutch this weekend and both my bolts snapped flush,any way a bit of heat and plenty of hammering got the mount off. The bolts were corroded into the aluminium mount and once that was off the remaining bits of bolt were only finger tight in the subframe, hope this helps

Last edited:
I have done 3 of these, all snapped, the only way to remove the dog bone is to pry it off the snapped bolt, the thread into the subframe will be fine. Its the bolt to dog bone that seizes up.

Don't drill it out!!!!

Just take your take and keep levering away at the dog bone from the subframe, When you replace the bolt make sure to copper slip the new bolts up....

Molegrips, or 2 suitable nuts. Wind one nut on a bit, then wind the second one up tight to it. Then use a spanner on the first nut you wound on. It will clamp up to the second nut and becomes a make shift bolt head.

A fantastic method for removing snapped studs - combined with lots of WD40 and possibly some blowtorch action.

Thanks for the input people, this is why I frequent this forum :)

I'm hoping the remainder of the bolt will come out when the dogbone mount is removed but if it doesn't I like the two nuts idea....many thanks Welly!

Thanks for the input people, this is why I frequent this forum :)

I'm hoping the remainder of the bolt will come out when the dogbone mount is removed but if it doesn't I like the two nuts idea....many thanks Welly!

No probs dude - works a charm normally. Thats exactly how I wound the two snapped bolts out of my turbo - and they were in there big time!

Same thing happened to me this weekend, one bolt sheared off, the second one didnt but the dog bone mount crack and split off around the bolt. I just phoned bedford audi, part no. for bolt I was given is N10268304 62p each. Also part no for dog bone mount is 1J0199851R £46.55 so not as expensive as I was made to believe, although i just got one of ebay for a fiver :sm4:. Mines going into TTS on friday for a service and removal of the ****** bolt.

Last edited:
Wooohooo it's done!!! :)

The dogbone eventually came of the subframe by using the following techniques:

- smacking the mount with a hammer
- levering the mount away from the subframe with a screwdriver
- applying WD40
- applying heat via blow torch (obviously not at the same time as the WD40)

I managed to get what remained of the bolt out by using Welly's two nut process, so thanks again welly.

It's all refitted so all that's left to do is drive it....thankfully.....

Result, had mine sorted today, hasnt made any difference to my gear change, guess the syncros are just worn on 1st and 2nd, but the engine seems smoother, was only charged 1/2 hours labour too which was a result, great service from TTS once again :)