Does it have to be a 225bhp S3?

gwilo

Reaction score
Well, I was going to wait but I've started looking now for a decent S3 (I'll trading in my A3 1.8t S) that I can afford. The ones that are listed as 225bhp stand out most, but what about the normal S3's? What's the main benefit of searching for a 225bhp model? Is it just 15bhp? And what does it matter if I intend to map it etc anyway? Any other major differences I should know about? As you can tell, I'm still learning as I'm coming from a VW back ground (my last car being a Euro look VR6) but I've always loved the pre-face lift A3/S3 and have been very impressed with my 1.8t A3 and now want a bit of a project for over the next few years again - and a quick one at that lol.

There is no difference the 210,s were limited a little bit, so they were not the same bhp as the tt when it came out... The 225 later models are easier to get silicone hose kits for ie the BAM and AMK.. I have a 99 APY model

Pre March 2001 : APY (210bhp)
March 2001 - Aug 2001: AMK (210 bhp)
Aug 2001 onwards: BAM (225 PS)

The AMK is as near as makes no difference a BAM with a different mapping on it.

Also note that the 210s are bhp and the 225 are PS (so make it 221bhp)

Basically it's effectively age related as to what engine you end up with.

The facelift was in March 2001.

Hope this helps!

Also worth noting the 210bhp is a little cheaper on insurance for younger drivers made quite a difference for me :)

and also tax is cheaper on the earlier ones too I think anyway

Pre March 2001 : APY (210bhp)
March 2001 - Aug 2001: AMK (210 bhp)
Aug 2001 onwards: BAM (225 PS)

The AMK is as near as makes no difference a BAM with a different mapping on it.

Also note that the 210s are bhp and the 225 are PS (so make it 221bhp)

Basically it's effectively age related as to what engine you end up with.

The facelift was in March 2001.

Hope this helps!

Disagree with some of your dates. The facelift was with the 2001 model year cars, so came in at the end of 2000. My car was registered early Jan 2001 and is an AMK facelift.

As Mpathe pointed out, if you get a facelift AMK car registered before 1st March 2001 then you also get the benefit of cheaper car tax (as not based on CO2)

AND.....resale values (obviously) are that bit higher with the BAM.
Even if (dare I say) trading in to a dealer.

When i bought my BAM i was looking specifically for one due to the updated interior etc, updated mirrors, albeit subtelties - the buttons are far more up to date, little things like the constant failing brake switch were replaced..... just a newer car, personally id be trying to source a BAM for the extra money it'll cost you.

BAMs are, of course, vastly superior in every way, haha.
My brake switch still broke though!

Truthfully, i'm glad I bought a BAM, but you can get nearly the same car a lot cheaper by getting an older one. Horses for courses.

JS mine did too haha!! although it was repairable where as the older shape switch was a crappy 1960 contact switch which kept shorting itself out.

But yup, for sake of a few hundred quid, once you own one it will bug you that you didnt pay a bit extra (well...it would me)

APY FTW...if only for the cheaper car tax.....paint does not scratch off around dials/buttons like the lesser models, bigger lcd display for climate, good chance they have had an easier life being restricted...:sly:

APY for me as well Dave no dodgy coil packs for us lol................ They havent always been free before anyone says anything:rock:

AMK seem to be prone to cylinder head cracking as well. Now whether this is just a coincidence or there is something wrong with the AMK head but if you research there are a few reports of crack heads and most if not all are AMK.

I've driven before 210 and 225 S3's and while there is less than 10% difference in Bhp there is IMO a difference in power with the 225 being the better engine, however get them remapped and you'll notice no difference.

APY's are Non VVT where as the AMK and BAM are both VVT. ( I know they are not strictly VVT )

Yarp yarp BAM all the way, not exactly like Audi were trying to save money when they launched the facelift car :D

APY the way to go, and personally prefer the pre-faclift interior, center console much nicer in my opinon

Never had a pre but my brother did,I prefer our centre consoles to the 8P version though.

Well gwilo I've just done what you're looking to do. I had a 1998 1.8t A3 with a Jabbasport generic remap on it and have just upgraded to a 2001 AMK S3 about 5 weeks ago, awesome car. The reason I went for a facelift was I was told by Jabbasport that the facelifted AMK & BAM's have better electronics with less sensor problems and it's easier to get more power out of them from a remap, don't know how true this is but I guessed they must know what their talking about. I specifically went for an AMK as I wanted the lower car tax bracket, I'd rather spend the money on mods than give it to the government. I think so far could have been a false economy as have been spending a fortune on fixing wear and tear items which I might have been able to avoid by buying a newer BAM.

I would say one thing about the prefacelift model vs the facelift's. Audi really dropped the quality of the interior finish on the facelifted S3's, the buttons with their rubberised finish are terrible for rubbing off, I'm spending hours searching ebay for replacement parts just for the buttons because the finish on mine has rubbed off. It's a real shame Audi don't do facia replacement kits for the stereo and the climiate control which is especially bad for marking up. My old 13 year old prefacelift A3 was immaculate compared to this S3, no issues on that with the finish rubbing off....what were Audi thinking when they designed the interior on the facelift. Whatever you do don't let anyone with long nails press the buttons! I do like the look of the facelift interior better but the ease at which the buttons scratch really is a shame! What was wrong with the older black harder wearing finish of the prefacelifts anyway!

Here is an air-con panel for a facelift model on E.bay at the mo looks clean and tidy on the usual areas cheap enough as well 320667336446

Bit off topic but how do oyu remove the air-con facia and headlight switch from a a facelift model without breaking any panels etc? I have both to change.Had the parts for months but just no time thanks for any pointers...

The aircon unit just pulls out no screws but be warned it can be very tight, took mine out for first time today and it was really hard to get out first time, but easy after that. There are 2 sprung clips on the top and bottom of the unit, you will probably need to take out the stereo so you can push from behind. If you want to see some pics let me know.

As for the headlight switch if you turn the switch clockwise to the side light position whilst pushing in at the same time it will release the retaining clips and just pop out. If you have a new one, try it on it and you will see the clips retract in to the switch barrel. If you can't get it to work let me know and I'll take a video of the process and try and post a link.

Thanks a lot Agic sounds straightforward enough may get round to it one day..

Brilliant replies thankyou - you lot have given me a lot to think about and I'll use this thread as a reference. Need to read it a few more times yet!

Flight 666 here's a link to a video I took whilst bored today at lunch of removing the headlight switch hope it helps:

Hi Agri ,
JUst read your post ref interior buttons / trim . I've been refurbing mine bought it a few months ago an 02 plate . I've had to replace the double din head unit and headlight switch due to pesky scratches . I do have a sysphony II head unit for sale if your interested
and need bits / buttons . Pm me and i'll send you some pics ,
Cheers ,
Ant

Cheers Agri couldn`t be any simpler be the look of it will swop it over tommorrow..

lol is this still going..... the pre's selling their pre's and the BAM's selling their BAM's :)

Theres only one factor in Audi land and that is your model year haha - BAM FTW!!

AMK seem to be prone to cylinder head cracking as well. Now whether this is just a coincidence or there is something wrong with the AMK head but if you research there are a few reports of crack heads and most if not all are AMK.

does that go for the Sd cards not touched i.e None chipped version or heavy modded, or is it just chance the AMK head just cracks? seen lower miled S3's (1999) versions are they a no go? want the bam last release but i have seen some nice S3's one was a Misano Red Amk version, nice as well and i think i missed that one, one owner also.