Piece missing off cylinder head......

Dani_B19

Audi-sports own special child.
Reaction score
Fitted a new catch can today along with re-doing the pipework as it was a right mess (my bad from the first attempt haha). While i was at it a noticed a half moon shaped hole in the side of the cylinder head, i could get my little finger in it but it seemed to be sealed behind from some metal object, now it looks like where the AMK/BAM vvt tensioner goes but not sure, anyone with a APY engine give me a heads up?

Dan

That's the cam adjuster gasket mate, looks like this:

20931_x800.jpg

I'm fitting a new one on my car next week.

Yeah ive got that mate, that sits at the rear though because i thought it was that at first, this piece thats missing is at the front on the battery side.

Errr, no. Sorry mate. You want one doing? Mine doesnt re-circulate back into the TIP now though, ive got it venting to air, even with my old catch can fitted it was still passing oil back into the intake, not good, so blocked the hole up and got it venting under the passenger side near the gearbox now :).

did you make a how to guide for the catch can. There hasn't been a full final one and I'm stumped

I thought the guide from the catch can group buy was ok. You just need to sort through the ***** in the tread but thats what I used to do mine. It looked seriously confusing just reading it but as soon as all the old hose is out the engine bay it all makes sense.

Yeah ive got that mate, that sits at the rear though because i thought it was that at first, this piece thats missing is at the front on the battery side.

Are you sure Dani. Normally if the cam adjster gasket is shagged you will get oil leaking out by the battery side of the head just under the crank breather.

Ooh, well this hole is bang under the crank outlet, i thought that's were the vvt tensioner sat on the AMK/BAMK's though! The picture of the 2 gaskets above, i thought they sat further back on the head!

Nah mate. Mine is leaking so i'm changing the gasket next week. The little blue thing above is the half moon piece that goes the other side of the hole you're talking about.

did you make a how to guide for the catch can. There hasn't been a full final one and I'm stumped
Tell me about it i must have read it 10 times to get my head round it......
I have finally got it so i will do one, it is really straight forward once it all clicks, but like said that thread is a mess and the info needs extracting

Yeah i know dave, i mean do we still have the hole though for the tensioner? I'll try to get a pic of the hole to expalin lol.

Yeah i think it is but i wonder if the part that blocks it off has come out of mine thus leaving the hole.

I've just replace mine, the hole is still there but gets blocked off by the gasket that's also why we can use different heads off the bam or amk