Engine vibrating strangely while idling???

skol

broken down
Reaction score
Hi there people recently bought a V reg A3 1.6 Sport and have noticed that when the engine is idling it feels like it vibrates/shudders. I can feel the change in ticking over and can also hear it. Does anyone have any idea as what this could be or is it nothing to be concerned about?

Thanking you in advance,

John

Just had a quick look on google seems easy enough to clean the throttle body, anyone got any hints or tips that would make it easier.

Just have to find someone with this vag-com i keep hearing about, but dont fully understand what it does.

Thank you salona

Just had a look at other info saying that it will align itself after a while instead of using vag-com. Is this possible? and if so is it a good/bad idea?

John

If you clean it on the car you should be ok...but ideally a throttle body adaption is needed, i think taking the battery lead of for 20 mins or so does the same thing.....make sure you have your stereo code....as it may lose it when power is back

okay so take the lead off for 20 minutes and scrub away, hopefully this will solve the issue.

thanks guys

I've had exactly the same issue on my R 1.6 8L. For reference, does it do the following?

- tickover like rumble, rumble, rumble, rumble, odd rumble, rumble, rumble, rumble, etc.
- needle behave erratically at low revs (dipping low)
- light rev of the car and release causes the revs to dip right down.

I had all of these and I took it to my semi local Audi expert (on reference - P Breading in Southend) who undertook the following:

- Vag Com reset
- Throttle body clean
- Cam shaft alignment

He identified that it was a cam shaft alignment issue / sensor reading, and this was ajusted. Since then it has been much smoother, but this could be a combination of the above. His work cost £50.

Mine still has several issues though - it's still not silky smooth (will it ever be?) and it still is burning fuel. I'm about to clean the injectors, and then also thinking about cleaning the fuel filter (following advice from the other threads). my fuel consumption is still really high, and S3Dave suggested that this could be a related issue - how is your consumption.

S3Dave has loads of good suggestions - (thanks) although I really wish I could just take it to someone who is an A3/S3 expert (like him) and say 'here is £100 - please help me'!

In the meantime, mine burnt loads of oil - be careful of this. I never even noticed until my other mechanic shouted at me :)

My video of mine doing it is on Youtube (check my newbie thread) and I'll film some more on here tomorrow.

If possible (please) keep us (me) updated on your progress as this is the single biggest issue I've had since I've owned the car... :(

Last edited:
yeah seems to be the same issue im having, revs seem to be normal. gave the throttle body a quick wipe but didnt stop the rumble! any other ideas guys??

i got same problem with my s3 at the min drives fine but idle a bit lumpy

I'm throwing more money at mine tomorrow as I'ts going back into the garage.

I'm looking to have the injectors cleaned, fuel filter changed and everything else I can think of. If they identify another fault then I'd be surprised, as it's been in 4 x times, but the only other suggestion I've heard is that the coolant temp sensor can cause issues if it is black (standard) and not green.

Either way I'll keep you posted.

Incidentally, I am offering good money for anyone to fix this - even willing to throw in a reacharound if someone can sort it once and for all lol

So they quoted me approximately £270+ for all the work to be done, so I've just left it there to be looked at again and I'm now awaiting a cal back.

For everyone else, is anyone getting any EML lights or VAG readings? I've not seen any on mine and I'm just losing patience.

Under the inlet manifold there is a one way valve and I noticed that it broke away from the piece that goes to the manifold so I put a rubber hose over it and clamped it up and it's slot better now. Might be worth a look mate

Boost leak mate that's what is corseing it to judder I'd say may be with other thing as well but def get that sorted u lost power as well then

Could be lambda sensor.

just had mine back from the garage and they suggested this. I'm going to look into it as it was the only sensor reading with issues, so I'll keep you posted.

I've got bigger problems now - the windscreen fell out of the channel on the drive home...