Weird S3 fuel economy issue

Jade S3

270bhp 13.6 1/4 mile
Reaction score
Hey guys, firstly my car has no fault codes, maf is great, no timing pull, no boost leaks, cts and stat are great too. Now on the highway the car is very light on fuel(2.8-7.5l/100km) but in town(short trips) its disgustingly heavy on fuel(12.5l/100km), it used to be very light in town but now its the opposite. What could be wrong? , please help because its costing me alot of money and i mostly do town driving and i avoid using the aircon, even if i keep the rpm low and barely use the accelerator the least i get is 12.5l yet i used to get 5-8l in town with 3000rpm shifts, 25% throttle and aircon on. Thanks

Very good times at 13.6! what turbo is that? Try injector cleaning, clean fuel filter, general servicing, plugs etc, look for leaks & split hoses. and also check previous post here, cloged FPR might have something to do with it, and Lambda logs, something Badger, mentioned in a post by Westle.

Stock turbo thanks, cleaned injectors. New fuel filter, serviced it. No leaks or splits, will look into the fpr but how can it get clogged? . Which meas. block is the lambda log? And what figures should i get?

You say your using 12.5 litres per 100km when doing short trips round town? Thats 22.5mpg which doesnt seem too bad for short trips round town to be honest, maybe a little low but could be explained by the lower temps this time of year mate.

Last edited:
Yep its 25mpg to be precise, i used to get 40/45mpg in town! . And im not in UK, its hot here(30 deg. C)

40/45 mpg ????? i doubt that very much i don't get anywhere near that on a motorway run out of a stock 1.8t Quattro in fact i'm lucky to get into 30's and thats driving it carefully

If your getting that type of mpg round town then you've got a faulty dash, thats impossible, highest ive know anyone get is about 38mpg and thats sat in the slow lane doing 70mph in 6th gear.

Changed the thermostat and gauge is at 90, driving like a granny and getting 23mpg in town is still hectic. Why is it so heavy? , i would be so excited if i could get 35mpg in town

I think the problem is mate, that to everyone on this forum your current mpg seems about right. Are the mpg figures your quoting off the dis or proper calculated ones?

Last edited: