what would you pay for........

s3_kev

Stage2'd!!!!!!
Reaction score
a 99 s3 thats had a new engine,turbo manifold, cambelt and water pump change. recent clutch flywheel and gearbox rebuild. only problem is its cat c....

i have been looking an cant find an s3 for less then 3k

forgot to mention its done 145k lol, not sure on the cat c but will find out...

Realistically, a Cat c/d S3 on 145k miles is around 2500-3500 depending on condition I would have though, wouldn't pay anymore personally, not if you can buy a straight one for £4k.

well i won one on ebay and thinking of selling it on after doing some work to it, but seems not all is well so the sale is pending atm but jojo's prcing is what im thinking along the lines of so there is still money to be made for me if all that needs doing is what the seller says

Kev. The car is mine. I just sent you an email about it.

It needs a good home, one without a 6 month old baby that will stop you from working on it!

Last edited:
Kev. The car is mine. I just sent you an email about it.

It needs a good home, one without a 6 month old baby that will stop you from working on it!
no worries pm sent

nice work Kev you crazy fool :)

Hope it turns into a nice little project for ya

someone on here was looking for a trackcar, this could be a contender

only way forward :)

The car is back up for sale... Unfortunately Kev decided it wasn't for him.

So if anyone is interested in a 99 S3 which is a cat C. but has a frashly built engine, needs some work to get it on the road or an ideal track car or even donar car then let me know.

Just to give a run down so there is no misunderstandings this time!

I bought the car last year with no Engine for £1000. My plan was to rebuild it, sell my S3 and use this one. Although the car was a cat C the body work was straight, it had only had passenger door and front wing damage which had been repaired and vic checked and there was no sign of twisting of the chasis. It also came with a newish clutch, flywheel, disks and pads, facelift front and rear lights. So all in all for the £1000 not a bad price.

I bought an AGU engine second hand, stripped it down, rebuilt it with new bearings and piston rings, new headgasket, bolts, cambelt, waterpump. Fitted all the ancillaries and put the engine back in. Unfortunately at this stage when I fired it up the turbo was making a whinning sound which I hadn't bargined for but can only assume that as the original engine suffered a blocked oil pick up, a bent rod then the turbo probably got starved of oil as well! The head was removed and the tubro was rebuilt and rebalance, and as you know this isn't cheap!

Basically so far including purchasing the engine, rebuilding it, the turbo, gaskets, belts and getting the front bumper resprayed etc I have spent nearly £1250 on the car and it has taken me over 8 months.. The car does need some more work but that's why I am selling it. It is probably worth about £2500-£3000 once Mot'd and on the road, so for me to finish it and to take another x months to do it I will be no better off than if I sold it now to cover my costs!

It is being sold as a project to someone, it needs work, whether you choose to finish it to sell, to use yourself, as a track day car, a donor car or breaking, isn't really my condern but as you will appreciate I reckon I would have no problem in selling the car again without the engine/turbo for £1000 and getting £1250 the engine/turbo but that just seems crazy to me!

Anyway If anyone is interested then please feel free to call me 07722636746, I'm not trying to rip anyone off, come and have a look and make your own decisions I have nothing to hide.

I will however probably re advertise it as a spares or repairs just so there is absolutely no confusion!

Ps. I have no hard feelings that Kev didn't buy it, it's just one of those things.

I have a feeling I might just have to throw a couple of days work at it and get it MOT'd. It seems such a waste to strip it down to sell for spare parts as I know I'll get the same money for it. but there we go......

Where's Mike, ED China and wheeler dealers when you need them!

Forgive me if this is a daft question, but you keep saying it needs finishing.

What exactly needs to be done to finish it? just an MOT? from what I can tell in the Ad, it's got a new engine, and everything works, so what's left to be done?

Forgive me if this is a daft question, but you keep saying it needs finishing.

What exactly needs to be done to finish it? just an MOT? from what I can tell in the Ad, it's got a new engine, and everything works, so what's left to be done?
this was my concern too, since i have found out there isnt much work to be done to it but for the price and work needed it doesnt look like i can make as much cash as i was planning to, this was'nt my reason for pulling out though. i fully expected the std s3 wheels to be included in the sale but there no longer on offer and to put the car as std like i planned to do to get as much resale value would now have ended up costing nearly all my profit.

but for someone looking at buying a cheap s3 for there own use then this car really would fit the bill if you look at what has been done to the car, most of the faults its had rectified have occured on my current s3 so you will have as a reliable car as there is... forget the milage and cat c

Brakes and clutch need bleeding again as I changed the slave cylinder as there was a leak on the seal and had caused the resesviour to run dry. I have tried to bleed but there is still air in the clutch and would advise brakes be done including abs just too make sure.

One tie rod I think needs replacing, there is a slight knock and play in the osf wheel which is coming from the rack and from past experience would bet it's the inner tie rod joint.

Rear lights need fitting as I bought a replacement set as one was damaged.

That as far as I'm concerned is it, however until it's mot'd I couldn't and wouldn't guarentee anything.

It starts, it drives, it goes into all the gears, it stops, doesn't over heat, smoke, knock or make any noise that would suggest to me there is anything else wrong, but then it's a 12yr old car with 145k on the clock.

Yes it needs TLC, time, some money and it will be a cracker. There isn't huge profit in it as it is a cat c and high mileage but there is a lot of car for not much money

I personally think it's worth £2.5k MOT and taxed. it would have cost me that to get it there. We'll see, in no rush to sell so maybe I'll just finish it and sell on all be it very slowly!

Just in case anyone is interested.

The car is finished and now comes with 12 months MOT and is for sale at £2500. Listed in the classified section.

The car is the rare Azure blue.