Just had new brake pads fitted -

DamoS3Q

Reaction score
Good Morning all.

Just thought id check - I had some pads fitted at the weekend by my local audi dealer. It cost £155 - is that price about right??

Hi Damo,

Where these front pads?

I need to get mine done tis week so it'd be good for me to get an idea what is a good price! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

[ QUOTE ]
gilbo said:
Hi Damo,

Where these front pads?

I need to get mine done tis week so it'd be good for me to get an idea what is a good price! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds about right. £40-50 for parts and an hours labour. VERY easy to do yourself though.

Adam

yea they were fronts, i bet it is easy but im not gonna start messing with brakes... Im not the best mechanic in the world to be fair! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/[censored].gif

Cheers Damo,

I'm not one to mess with brakes either!

Might buy them from the stealer and see if a can get another place (eg KwikFit) to fit them for me....

£90 - £100 for fitting brake pads is an absolute joke! Its a simple job, really have a go!

£155!!! Can you still sit down properly?

I am cr*p at things like that as well. Or more like I would not trust myself. Brakes are fairly important. I guess I have all this to look forward to when my car needs all those little bits and bobs doing.

[ QUOTE ]
nervus said:
£90 - £100 for fitting brake pads is an absolute joke! Its a simple job, really have a go!

[/ QUOTE ]

Hes right but be carefull on the hub carriers, I busted a guide and needed re-threading, so caliper had to come off to workbench and the system needed bleeding as the caliper came off.

Dont let this put you off as it was a doddle, but get a Piston re-tractor, there like £15 from Halfords and will save you a lot of time. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Just rang up local kwikfit-type place

Said £15 to fit my own pads and will give me a receipt for the job.

Pads are around £50+vat from memory.

Wont be any use to Damo, but may help others!

done now though! Its another audi invoice in the book i suppose + i put it on the company so its all good!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/groovy.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Damo said:
done now though! Its another audi invoice in the book i suppose + i put it on the company so its all good!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/groovy.gif

[/ QUOTE ] /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dancing.gif

[ QUOTE ]
rob.a3.quattro.sport said:
Can I forward you my next service invoice? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

me too I'll give you my last Quality street from Xmas if you agree? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif @Rob

[ QUOTE ]
neversaydie said:
Goto GF&S and get Brembo pads and disks front and rear for under £110.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't want to seem daft but who or what is GF&S as I am looking for pads and discs front and rear and they're £250 supplied from the stealers who surprisingly are cheaper than Vagparts.

[ QUOTE ]
macca666 said:
[ QUOTE ]
neversaydie said:

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't want to seem daft but who or what is GF&S as I am looking for pads and discs front and rear and they're £250 supplied from the stealers who surprisingly are cheaper than Vagparts.

[/ QUOTE ]

German French & Sweedish!

[ QUOTE ]
macca666 said:
[ QUOTE ]
neversaydie said:

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

http://www.gsfcarparts.com/

HTH
A

Just been on the website guys. I do mainly motorway driving and don't give my pads too hard a time when not on motorway. (though do like a blast now and again)

Anyone recommend whats good and not between the choices. I.e Brembo, Pagid, greenstuff, jurid etc.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Hi Guys, think I must have suffered the local Audi garage treatment again the other day, made a decision last year to start doing anything I can on the car myself, so just bought the pads from Audi for my S3, there were made by Pagid by the way, £78 inc vat...

still I would say as it took me less than an hour to change them that the audi guys can probably do it in 5 mins so I do think £155 is quite a lot, but hey that's audi for you.

Just had a word with GSF.

They've got the pads in stock at £39.50, but the guy said that the S3 uses the same pads as the A3 1.8T. he said that he checked this on both VAG's and GSF's system.

My S3 is a 2001 (210) with the AMK engine code and 1LT code for the brakes if that helps!

Does anyone know if this is correct?

Thanks!

I've done around around 1k+ miles since I've had my pads fitted - and have got problems with brake fade!

Notice it especially when on the Mway doing around 70 and the car in front hits the brakes - feels liek the car isn't gonna stop!

I'm considering getting rid of the new Pagid pads and going to Audi to get some OEMs (which are made by Pagid too!).

Anyone got any advice??!!

You could alway's go for EBC Greenstuff pads.They should be much better than stock pads and create less brake dust at the same time.

For even harder driving maybe even the EBC Redstuff pads.

Ade

Cheers Ade,

Will prob go for Redstuff from the site Moonscale recommended.

I'm suprised how bad te Pagid ones are though!

EBC reccomend Redstuff for the S3 due to its weight and have made the pads in ceramic now which looking at some reviews on the net they have shown a good improvement over standard!

WOW £155 you can get x drilled and pads for that if you fit them your self

I got this email from EBC today, may help others:
<font color="blue"> </font>
"ebc compounds as follows

standard black oe replacement

greenstuff upgrade for hot hatch type vehicles golf fiesta punto etc.

redstuff ceramic upgrade for 200bhp+ turbo 4wd etc.

yellowstuff race rally trackday

bluestuff endurace race

all compounds good from cold except bluestuff

we recommend for your car redstuff ceramic front and rear. dp31330c front dp3680c rear

all of our pads will be ok on std <font color="blue"> </font>

Hi all
Ferrodo DS2500 pads fitted to my S3 and they are the dogs danglies got them from Circuit supplies for around £100 but they work better than standard pads from cold and are brilliant when warmed up and i did a track day about 12 months back with them fitted and got no fade at all and i was lapping with a Brembo GT equiped S3 and we were both braking at the same point and later in my case at times,the pads are still fitted on my car and 12months later have around 5mm thickness left.
Cheers "Bingo"
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/MexWave.gif

I got the Redstuff Ceramics fitted today - even though they need to bed in, I can tell the difference.

If anyone is nr Milton Keynes and wants a set of almost-new Pagid pads, you can have them for free. Wouldn't recommend them for S3's but they may fit A3's too....

PM me if you want to collect from either MK or Marlow. Too heavy to post!