Koni FSD,s or Bilstein B8,s

cecilthesausage

...It's Never Finished...
Reaction score
Just wondering on everyones opinion its a toss up now between Koni FSD,s and Bilstein B8,s... I know a few people on here are using the B8,s which were going to be my choice..... But just wondered if anyone had had any experience with the Koni,s... I have Eibach springs to complement whichever choice I make lol.... Any help is gratefully appreciated... Cheers Rob

The Koni,s are a little bit dearer about £35 from DPM which is about an hours drive from me, but they are both over £500 f@@kin quid so £35 quid does not really make much difference.... I just want to make sure I make the right decision:think:

I have Koni FSD's and Eibach's on my A3 FWD - 18" wheels with 225/40/18 (previously had 225/45/17 on the old Dotz alloys and 16" OE alloys before them).

(Based on when I had the OE 16" wheels): Ride quality is as close to the smoothness of the OE kit, large potholes will unsettle the suspension however you would be hard pressed to see any loss of ride quality otherwise. Handling is greatly improved, not as good as having coilovers etc but much better than what the OE equipment offers.

(Based on the current 18" BBS's and 17" Dotz alloys): Again, ride quality is very good, very slightly less forgiving on large bumps and potholes but this may also have something to do with the profile of the tyres / offset etc.

The FSD setup does 'stiffen up' when you steer sharply - almost like the shock absorber locks in position stopping it from wallowing. It's a compromise of handling and comfort, Audi should have made them like this from the factory IMO.

If you drive through the twisties on smooth(ish) roads, go for something more tuned to handling, if you do the daily commute on pothole ridden roads (read Warickshire) and your car is the main car used for transporting the family, go for the FSD's.

Just my tuppence worth....

First i have FSD on eibach spring, this combo is fell a little stifer than stock, sometime a bit bouncy, but performance is not improved a lot. When you drive fast you have the feeling that is gonna fly, i belive if paired with stock spring will be more comfy than stock. I hate FSD too soft. Then i try STR.T this is sport shocks it's stiffer than fsd, like factory sport suspension, but even too soft for good control sport spring. Now i try bilstein B8(golf mkvi version) + eibach and this is far best combo for preformance and comfort is even better than str.t!! It's stiffer ride but very controled, no bounce, give you very refined drive. Highly recommend.

Welcome to Audi-sport.net, thanks for resurrecting this 3 year old thread. I do agree with you, I have the Bilstein B12 PRO kit non my car which is Eibach springs with Bilstein B8's and the ride quality and handling is very good.

Karl