S3 Gearbox problem - Breakdown

Alex C

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
OK,

I was driving along the local bypass in fifth or sixth gear (cant remember), when I come towards the end of the bypass i attempt to change down gear into 2nd. I pull the stick out of fifth/sixth and go to stick it into 2nd. So i try to push it across to 2nd, the stick didnt even want to push over to second, so i cruise upto the roundabout with my foot on the clutch thinking im stuck in neutral. But then i realise that despite the stick travelling in and out of 3rd, 4th, 5th and 6th the box is still stuck in whatever gear i was in when i was on the bypass (5th or 6th).

The car has been recovered to my carpark at work and will be taken to the garage tomorrow. I would just like some idea of what it might be. I am guessing the gearbox has gone??

Last edited:
there is a rivet on the gear selector that fails never seen it myself or experienced one so not sure on the failure but could be this?

I had a look at the gear linkage, the cables on the selector that sits on the top of the box look fine, i gave it a wiggle and a stranger said it was all moving about, so its all connected... :(

will move up top but the rivet will be below where your looking so may still be your fault

I would not have thought it was anything sinister mate, cold light of day may make you smile.....its not a siezed box or it would have been like throwing an anchor out.....

mmm ok, maybe my fault? so i may have broken it? I didnt rip it out and go to slam into 2nd but if it is this then is this a relatively simple fix?

No it wasnt like an anchor being thrown out, it was just stuck in gear, thanks for that, its made me feel better

Last edited:
yeah i think the same, Anything internal and it would of been making all kinds of crushing noises etc. Linkage sounds the most likely problem

I'm thinking its the selector fork thats f**k like in animals when his went last year, gearbox out jobi if it is im affraid :(. Hope it aint mate.

ok, sh:t, I've have had a look at the sticker in the spare wheel well, i see the codes EUK and DQB, is the gearbox code DQB? In which case do i have to match this code?

My AMK gearbox was a DQB and I replaced it with a DQB box, I'm not sure whether you have to replace like for like but I did just incase.

I think my box was from a TT

Hmm I think it was £450, there were others around for a lot less but this one came with a three month warranty and next day delivery.

If you do have to replace the box it's worth using the sensors that you know work from your old box, a 3mm split wire on the reverse switch left me without a speedo and a fuel gauge that was all over the place and cost me a Vehicle Speed Sensor (not cheap).

As suspected it looks like it is the 5/6th selector fork thats given up the ghost, found some pictures which helped me

So its the top selector on the left gear set in the first photo thats broken, top right selector fork in the 2nd photo. Will they have to take all of the shafts out in order to fix the selector fork? I am guessing they will have to take the whole lot apart in order to replace the rivets on the final drive-differential?

NewPicture13.jpg
NewPicture14.jpg

IMG_0867.jpg

Last edited:
Sorry to jump on this thread but Regarding that dodgy rivet in the diff ! is it possible to upgrade this without taking the box out ???? surely you can remove the diff with the box in the car ???

Something really cool about those pictures... just sayin'

Sorry to hear about the issues. :(

No not yet Dave, she's still in the garage and the gearbox hasn't been dropped yet. The guy in the garage stuck his hand in there and pulled the fork out, fork'n thing! He says it will be early next week until he gets the gearbox off. He has just come back from a holiday and has a backlog of jobs.

I have have had a trawl through the big book labeled WWW. and i have found that this is quite a common problem with the O2M, i think i found one instance where some guy had had it happen to him three times! But to be honest I don't understand why this happens, surely the only stress the selector fork experiences is the force you put it under moving the gear stick, and i'm no He-man.

Expensive times ahead me thinks. I think the current plan is to get it off and rebuild it. For a laugh he got a quote for a new gear box which was well over £3000. Also whilst its off it would be silly not to do the clutch; and flywheel if needs be.

Ive also got some Brembs and Disks waiting to be strapped on at some point

Anyway, the silver lining to this cloud is that whilst the gear box is out it will improve access to the rear screen was pipe connection which has been leaking for months now! Happy days!

I spent a little while on howstuffworks.com in order to understand those photos too, i am now happy with them and dont feel sick looking at them :)

Had some spare time, think this is all correct and might be useful for someone

Gearbox - exploded view of components
1 - Clutch housing
2 - Reverse shaft
3 - Output shaft for 5th, 6th and reverse gears
4 - Clutch slave cylinder with release bearing
5 - Input shaft
6 - Output shaft for 1st - 4th gear
7 - Differential
8 - Bevel box
9 - Flange shaft (right-side)
10 - Bevel gear with input shaft
11 - Shaft bevel gear
12 - Output flange
13 - Speedometer sender -G22-
14 - Flange shaft (left-side)
15 - 2nd speed selector gear
16 - 1st speed selector gear
17 - 4th speed selector gear
18 - 3rd speed selector gear
19 - 5th speed selector gear
20 - 6th speed selector gear (Spacer sleeve fitted in 5-speed gearbox)
21 - Reverse selector gear
22 - Gearbox housing

Gearbox.png