Blocked pipe/split??

audi_a3_turbo

Reaction score
Met with S3 BABY last night to do a VAGCOM log on my car, but was unable to do a log on block 120 (apparently you cant do this on my AGU engine due to having a cable throttle) But as we were looking around the pipe work we noticed that the oil breather pipe felt quiet blooked up, wel followed the pipe work and it seems there is a split in one of the hoses. Would this cause any problems with the cars running/performance?
Im not really that mechanical so im not too sure if I have explained this well so if S3 BABY comes online then he might put this into a way you may understand better.
Thanks
Rob

Ya, any split in a pipe be it vac or boost will cause running issues like idleing problems or boost leaks. Best to go back out again and have another look at all the pipe work, especially under the inlet mani for splits. Prob no harm in removing sections to see the state of them inside either as they might look ok from the outside but be completly blocked inside. I replaced all mine with silicone to be sure.

Rob, had a dyno run at Badger 5 the other day and Tufty found a leak on a boost hose. Replaced it with a Forge item (£15) and car now runs superbly, completely different performance. I'd been driving round for over a year with this fault! If you haven't already changed any of the original rubber boost hoses then it's well worth considering as after this amount of time it's likely they'll be in pretty poor condition. Forge (or similar) offer replacements for all of the obvious ones but some still need to come from the dealers, especially the oil breather pipe from the hockey puck to the tip. There's plenty of guys on here who can supply you the hoses for sensible money and all are easy to fit.

Rob, send a PM to S3BAM, he can help you with all the Forge hoses.

u got a pic of the dodgy pipe? (if one is already there my bad cant see pics at work)

17987818841678297491407.jpg
17987818841678297491407.jpg
18167418841548694251407.jpg

Top picture is the pipe that feels blocked and the bottom picture is the one that looks like it might have a split in it

I think you're best bet is to tear out all the old breather system and simplify it with new hose. If you do a search for the oil catch can group buy thread there's loads of details about it in there. It doesn't cost much for a few metres of oil hose and a few joiners.

LOL again, S3 BABY was telling me to start replacing all my standard pipe for silicone, which is when he noticed the pipe was split. Do you think this split pipe and the fact the other pipe feels blocked would be causing any issues?

If you have any splits in your breather system or boost hoses you can be down on power and having running problems. If you check out my threads about VCDS logging and the fluttering noise I have you'll see that I've been working my way through all my old rubber hose. I've spent a few hundred quid on silicon bits in rhe last few weeks to try and get my car running right again.

Rob, it sounds like you have a similar prob to mine. With mine the car would come on boost and then die, didn't pull hard past 4000rpm. Looking at the oil leak it looks certain to be a split hose somewhere and if it's one of the boost hoses you'll be down on power for sure. You don't have to go for silicone but they do last longer than rubber and don't collapse. Audi charge the earth for their hoses, I paid almost £40 for a small oil breather hose! I got my Forge hoses from S3BAM for an excellent price, far cheaper than the dealers.