Replacing ECU

Aaronneal

Reaction score
Basically my ECU is severely water damaged, cuts out randomly, wont start etc... looks like whoever opened it to remap didn't seal it correctly and it had water inside. (Superchips i believe)

could anyone point me in the direction of a replacement, if not anyone know how i can fit a new one to the car when i find one.

Is there anything need to look out for as a replacement or would any 1.8t ecu do the trick?

ANY HELP WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED, i need to sort this myself as my garage is trying to bend me over backwards saying in the region of £700. and i def cant afford that!

Regards

Aaron

is that then a direct fit? i read something about reprogramming immobiliser can this be done with vag-com? cheers

You need more than vagcom (Something like VagTacho, or Vag K+ Commander) to read the secret code from the cluster and new ecu so you can program it in.

Most decent auto locksmiths will probably have the kit to do this though.

Alternatively you can clone the EEPROM data from your old ECU, and write it to the new one.

any idea how much i should be looking at, i have been quoted £450 for ecu and all the programming done! it seems a bit steep! being a student i cant afford that, if anyone is willing to do it for less then they have my business! cheers for the info though pal! saved me from telling the garage to go f off saying i could dot i myself with VAG-COM.

What about if i was to fin a de-immobilised ECU would this work or would it not link with clocks etc??

It's well worth covering your new ECU with a piece of strong plastic to stop water coming down over it. The design of the scuttle panel is absolutely shocking to be fair.

i've seen ECU's on ebay go from anything between £25 and £150.

For what it would cost to have the immo disabled, you could have the ECU properly paired up with the car.

Call round some local auto lock smiths and see what they charge.

I woudlnt expect to pay any more than around £50 to get it paired up, it will probably take meer minutes with the correct equipment.

cheers for that, i have asked for my car and ecu back and am going to source some people with the tools myself. Thanks for the input! hopefully get this thing sorted. Is there anyway to transfer my remap (super-chips) to the new ecu? is it a case of desolder / resolder or is it all in the ecu eeprom?

Thanks

depends on ur ecu. some agu's had a physical new chip soldered in

that would make this whole situation a little better, pretty handy with an iron, can do it myself and wont have to get a new remap!!!