s3 juddering on throttle

fast_eddie_s3

Reaction score
Hi,

Sorry to be a pain and plead for help with my first post!

Driving home tonight at a reasonably sedate pace, went to overtake and at about 3500 the engine starts juddering with the ecu light flashing. Backed off, sounded ok. Back on throttle, same again. Coasted home keeping at 3000rpm and watching the oil light like a hawk. Pulled into street and revved a bit again with no judder but no obvious boost either. ecu light went off after judder stopped

I'm bricking it that the turbo has gone. It's recently been remapped by mrc and the dv, n75 & maf are new. Was running great up until now. :sadlike:

I've seen a bit about coilpacks, could they cause this kind of symptom?? What can I practically check before paying to get it towed somewhere? It will drive fine but I don't want to do any damage

coil pack gone
you may be in luck theres an audi campain to chenge out the dodgey H series coil pack

id also put money on coilpacks, iv had it a few times! check that one simply hasnt popped out, but if its gone you may be entitled to 4 new coil packs :)

wow, thanks all for the lightning responses. I feel a bit more reassured now. I'll check to see nothing has popped out. Is there an upgraded replacement, anyone got a part no.?

Had a quick rummage around, nothing seems to have popped out. Is it really visible if it has? I didn't take all the 'gubbins' out from on top of the two rhs packs but they seemed to be at the same height. Went for a quick spin round block again. No judder this time but boost is not there and I can hear an occasional cough/ misfire at idle which seems to add up with the coil pack.

Should I order a couple and try switching them out one at a time or just replace the whole lot and be done with it.

If I do find an offending one, does my ecu need reset to get back to normal or will the ecu figure it out for itself? Is there a risk of the remap getting screwed my an ecu reset?

Also, what's the knack to getting the coilpack loom connectors off. I poked around at the two on the rhs but didn't want to risk breaking them.

Please excuse my ignorance on all this. I've got decent mechanical skills but haven't really spent much time on road cars (having had no garage until recently)

OK, so, rather than get messed around by audi I thought stuff it and just changed all 4 coils & plugs anyway this morning. Nothing obvious on coils other than shroud on no.4 looked discoloured. Had 1 R, 2 L's and a J on the car. vcds arrived in post and confirmed no.4 misfire. Cleared all faults and all is good. Yeah, I've maybe missed out on some free coilpacks (or a remap wipe!) but I know how to do the job now and I've got three spares in case it goes again. Plus, I've got a new toy in vag-com. Thanks everyone for your help.