Remap or swap for B5 S4?

SiGainey

Reaction score
Very very tempted to go for a remap but I'm tempted to swap the S3 for a B5 S4. I know a turbo change is an engine out job on them but it's 265hp sans remap and £400 gets you to 300hp ish...

Anyone had both or got any comments?

was considering a B5 S4 not long ago. Costly. I was bugeting service costs and the like and fuel prices being a bigger engine, and tbh it's not worth it for me.

The S3 is the best of all worlds, big car feel, quality, and pretty good MPG for what it is (when a light foot is applied).

Seán

I have pondered this and its a ****** as I couldn't decide...sorry it doesn't help

Now fuel consumption is a factor as I get more than 30mpg from the s3... Cant see me getting more than 25 from an s4...

I thought about the S4 but fuel economy came into it, also looks as well as i think the 8L S3 is a lovely looking car, especially with LCR splitter!

Ouch, there's a 350 quid difference in insurance! That's double what I currently pay. Ouch!

The B5 S4's are an awesome piece of kit, really powerful and fun car to drive, but with the fuel at the moment as it is they don't really make good daily drivers, not like an S3!!

I personally would go for a remap on the S3, we offer some great package deals on the Custom-Code software at present which include a Green Cotton Panel Filter and the famous Forge 007P recirc valve:-
Phase 1 Remap Package Deal: 1.8 20v T DBW - JBS

A great modest package which put the fun back into the S3!!

Any questions or queries please do not hesitate to ask!

Seb Hampson
Parts/Sales Advisor

The B5 S4's are an awesome piece of kit, really powerful and fun car to drive, but with the fuel at the moment as it is they don't really make good daily drivers, not like an S3!!

I personally would go for a remap on the S3, we offer some great package deals on the Custom-Code software at present which include a Green Cotton Panel Filter and the famous Forge 007P recirc valve:-

Seb Hampson
Parts/Sales Advisor

Never mind remaps wheres the ****** ko4 manifold!!:)

Fuel consumption isnt actually as bad as you'd think.

Consumption is largely based on weight, and becasue the S3 is already a ****** heavy car, its not actually that bad. I'd expect 30 or so from an S4 on a motorway, and perhaps 23-24 around town, probably only 1 or 2 mpg down on what youll realistically get from an S3.

I know our 1.8TQS A4 will only return 32 on the motorway and 25 around town, and its more or less the same weight as an S3.

Last edited:
With subtle exterior mods and the right colour I.e nagaro blue, they can still look as stylish as an s3, but some do look dated. I've considered it, but, insurance is more of an issue over running it because I think mpg will be very similar between the two.

B5 S4 but it'll have to be an Avant - the saloons haven't aged as well in my opinion.

I'm constantly checking Pistonheads for K04'd S4s.... the only thing putting me off is the interior, I don't think it's quite as nice as the S3 (facelift) unless it has ALL the extras.
I had a B5 A4 1.8T Sport Avant before the S3 and loved it, but when I went to change car I wanted something with a nicer interior - cue S3!

Also B5s tend to have higher mileages than 8Ls, generally. I find it difficult to find a sub 80k B5 S4.

Ive got a high spec S3 and it just wasnt enough now i have a 500bhp+ Audi S4 with RS4 conversion(And more)

Totally worlds apart from any performance car i have ever owned(And ive had a lot...!!!) Seriously Super Car Performance..

Yes i know minds a bit differant but a good K04'd S4(400+) u can pick up for 6500

Hands down i would take a S4 over S3 but then i only use mine as a Toy...

However the decision lie's with u...

Last edited:
Pm RocketMQ1(Mark) on Audisrs as he may take S3 in px He's got a S Plate Advant K04'd 420ish bhp F.s

Now fuel consumption is a factor as I get more than 30mpg from the s3... Cant see me getting more than 25 from an s4...
I have an S4,performance wise, the S4 is in a different league, fuel tho? i get 25 if i drive it like im stuck behind a milkfloat! normal more 22mpg spirited ??well oh well off to the nearest shell garage.
if your selling your S3 i may be interested? pm me

Seb Hampson
Parts/Sales Advisor

What would this remap do to the MPG (2002 S3 225) if driven conservatively?

I have an S4,performance wise, the S4 is in a different league, fuel tho? i get 25 if i drive it like im stuck behind a milkfloat! normal more 22mpg spirited ??well oh well off to the nearest shell garage.
if your selling your S3 i may be interested? pm me
AudiiduA iv sent you a pm

Never mind remaps wheres the ****** ko4 manifold!!:)
HAHA! They are finalising the manufacture at present an am currently looking at roughly 6-8weeks for them to arrive with us, fingers crossed!

Keep an eye on the News pages linked below for any updates on this!
News - JBS

Seb Hampson
Parts/Sales Advisor

i think the thread went a bit aside of the main concern which i have it too.
remap and get all the little mods to get as close to 300 bhp as possible (will probably be 280) or remove the 1.8 amk engine and get a 2.7 twin turbo one?
despite the cost of the engine and the labor (please put those aside) would a 2.7 twin turbo engine fits? and match the manual 6 speed and quattro?
in another way what are the other engine options we got if we are to remove the 1,8?

mmm....didnt someone posted a link about this subject here?? or it is me having illusions :S