S3 creaking when taking up drive

mines the same when i turn left or pull off.its coming from the passenger side.drives me up the wall

Mine makes a creaking kinda noise. Sounds like a loose heat sheild and I've removed the cat heat sheild. I can rev the engine with the box in neutral and it doesn't do it, it's only on taking up drive and if I come on / off the throttle. Drives me MAD!

Front arb bushes, its a common problem.

Not sure it's the arb bushes (as I've just replaced them) as if I come off the throttle and gently on to it again, I get the noise. It sounds like a heatshield that's loose somewhere. Does the downpipe have a heat shield on it?

Could be a heatshield, also on the ARB bushes, they are meant to have a plastic sleeve inside of them, if they are taken off or split, it can be them that causes the issue....

Any more ideas on what this knock was, think im getting the same thing. I have changed both wishbone bushes, ball joints, droplinks, Dogbone bushes, all with new bolts. Knock is still there when driving slow, taking up drive and braking etc...I have checked a replaced pads in calipers, now onto removing driveshaft and re-greaseing the cv joints on the N/S/F as there is a bit of play there.

Not a really loud knock, but still a knock.

Any help appreciated.

I recently started a thread "Strange Clonking/Creaking noises" and got similar answers but no real solution. Have you tried any silicone spray on the buses just to free them up a bit?

All the bushes are new......plus i disconnected the droplinks and arb and the knock was till there...so not them. Im going to look at the side engine mounts tomorrow after sorting out cv's. if its not them it has got to be top mounts.....or a worm hole to knocksville :yes:

Solved mine this weekend (but got another lol) - the heatshield on the bulkhead was missing a bolt so was resonating...

Sorted.........It was the central bolt in the dogbone mount...I had not torqued it up tight enough and it was twisting....Set it to 60nm and it is sweeeet.