superkarls overhaul

superkarl

MAN OF STEEL
Reaction score
greetings gents, had a busy day today on the car and thought id upload and share my story as i have nothing better to do, alone on a saturday evening as the girl friend is away.

so, i took my car off the road before christmas with the intentions of doing a few things, however with the weather so terrible i did very little, until the past week or so.
i initially took the car off the road to replace some much needed parts, 2 cv boots that were torn to buggery. and also as i was selling my standard wheels and had bought some new ones to refurb and paint, so its been on axle stands for a couple of weeks.
But upon inspection it became clear other areas would benefit from replacement parts and minor upgrades.

the parts i've got are as follows....
P2180059.jpg

B5 RS4 wheels, pictured is an uncompleted primed one, they will be sprayed a light gunmetal called moonland pearl (vauxhall colour).
inner cv boot
outer cv boot
haldex oil and filter
bottom ball joints
top mounts
powerflex dogbone bush (red diesel one)
thermostat

and what isnt pictured:
lemforder rear wishbone bushes
powerflex front wishbone bushes
tpi wheel spacer kit from theTTshop
egt sensor

il start by showing the condition of the parts on the car, that should show how worn they are, 10 years old, 133000 miles worth of frankly SH**E british roads....

first is the rear wishbone bush on the drivers side, quite clearly split
P2180053.jpg

inner cv boot, pretty shagged to say the least
P2180056.jpg

bottom ball joints, slight split at the bottom, going to be worn out anyway due to age/miles
P2180058.jpg

so i started my work to take the wishbones out. drivers side, fairly easy, not to hard to crack all bolts out at all. 18mm bolt through the front bush, 18mm on the rear bush with nut on other side, held with a spanner and ratchet off. Three 16mm nuts on the underside of the ball joints.

ball joint nuts wer quickly sprayed with some primer for reference on refitting new ones so that alignment shouldnt be toooo bad to drive to get alignment done.
P2180054.jpg

once all was undone and bolts were removed, i used a jack under the discs to raise it up, and with a pursuader (hammer) nocked the wishbone down off the balljoints, they then simply pulled out with relative ease.

this is the topside of the bush which was seen earlier, split, sitting ****** in the wishbone. it should be completely flush
P2180061.jpg

underside shows just how bad they can be fromall this time and driving
P2180062.jpg

the front bush, later 45mm one (happy times), looks all mushed and all over the place really, a powerflex poly one should sort that out! i chose a poly one for this bush as it only has rotationally movement, so wont be all that hard on the ride, but the rear bush having multiple movement, im replacing with rubber so as not to jeapardise comfort.
P2180060.jpg

the ball joints were not as bad as i thought, no knocking movements, just a little loose most probably from lack of grease. i took one apart to see just how much grease was in there. the new ones are difficult to move by hand, whereas these can be moved with your little finger.
P2180066.jpg

P2180067.jpg

i decided to have a little go at the rear bush as it was ******** and thought it might drop out. 3 hits with the pursuader later and it came out. only leaving the metal casing thats supposed to be around the bush with it, oh well, shows how bad they are, and can be hit out later.
P2180063.jpg

the passenger side was a different story, the rear bolt wasn't going anywhere, id tried so hard, im fairly strong and just couldnt get it to budge, then after a breather i said to a mate, im havin one last go at this ******, and pop, undone. i honestly nearly pooed myself!

this side seemed to have been replaced at some point, the arm was in much better condition than the other, and the bush had nearly no splits
P2180070.jpg

i also found out that very recently, well, before i bought the car last april, the droplinks must had been replaced, they look brand new, which is good.
P2180055.jpg

so, wishbones removed, ready to have bushes pressed out and new pressed in at some point, this coming week most likely. they'l also be cleaned and painted up black just to look a bit prettier, just because im like that lol.

i still had plenty of light left so thought id tackle the dogbone mount. two bolts at the front of the mount, two at the back, and a bar going across the subframe undone at one end to oull it out, very quick, very easy.
bushes looked tired and were very soft, had left lots of rubber on the actual mount which was like chewed up gum.
P2180069.jpg

fitted the new red powerflex bushes and had a bit of a pain trying to get the bolt in by compressing it all but looks nice and pretty now, ready to rock and roll, or not in the engines case.
P2180071.jpg

the rear bushes to go in
P2180072.jpg

quite a productive day for myself.
next job is to get the shafts out to change the cv boots and grease them up. take the shocks out to fit top mounts. and clean up wishbones and fit bushes and reassemble it all again.
all will be updated soon hopefully.
busy mountainbiking this weekend so will have try and fit some nights in and do bit by bit.
so so looking forward to having it on the road again, all nice and tight, with new wheels, and a few other detailed touches later on.

thanks for your time reading.
stay super

superkarl

one last thing, can anyone tell me how tight i should do up the dogbone mount??? seems to just wind in forever, dont want to overdo it. thanks

Last edited:
nice work mate, i did the wishbone bushes and droplinks a few weeks ago, although i polybushed the whole lot, ride comfort is still the same but the front end is alot more precise when turning in than it was before. interested to see what result the dog bone bush gives, tempted to do this next!

going to keep an eye on this thread.

im in the process of doing pretty much everything on your list, wishbones are out, ready to have new bushes this week.

need to do top mounts and dog bone bush's..

dont suppose you have a link to the red bushes?

Also, not sure what top mounts im going for, I heard the seat leon cupra ones are a good upgrade. what have you had? are you not doing the top mount bearings at the same time?

while mines off the road im having my rocker cover smoothed and polished, strut brace, charge pipe, inlet manifold and throttle body mirror polished,
Im changing as many rubber hoses with silicone as possible, including fuel hoses. done the SAI delete, bypassed the N249 and N112.

and today I spent 6hours degreasing, cleaning, t-cuting and generally sorting out the grimey bay ready for all its new polished parts :D
I also got rid of the charcoal canister today

Tomorrow im fitting my new dispstick tube, and nice white (instead of faded orangey) header tank.

need a haldex service, with filter and oil, as my rear wheels feel like they are dragging abit on tight corners, and ive read a few people have sorted this with a service.

Nice work there mate.

I did all my front bushes, ball joints, drop links etc in September, the difference to the car was noticable straight away, a lot more planted and tight.

im in the process of doing pretty much everything on your list, wishbones are out, ready to have new bushes this week.

need to do top mounts and dog bone bush's..

dont suppose you have a link to the red bushes?

Also, not sure what top mounts im going for, I heard the seat leon cupra ones are a good upgrade. what have you had? are you not doing the top mount bearings at the same time?

while mines off the road im having my rocker cover smoothed and polished, strut brace, charge pipe, inlet manifold and throttle body mirror polished,
Im changing as many rubber hoses with silicone as possible, including fuel hoses. done the SAI delete, bypassed the N249 and N112.

and today I spent 6hours degreasing, cleaning, t-cuting and generally sorting out the grimey bay ready for all its new polished parts :D
I also got rid of the charcoal canister today

Tomorrow im fitting my new dispstick tube, and nice white (instead of faded orangey) header tank.

need a haldex service, with filter and oil, as my rear wheels feel like they are dragging abit on tight corners, and ive read a few people have sorted this with a service.

red dogbone bush can be found on awesomes site really cheap too. my top monuts arn't lcr ones, however i found out about them after id bought these, il dig the receipts out soon to remember where i bought them, although i think it was ecp.

just ordered the red bushes from awesomes ebay shop :)

ive got a bad clunking from front drivers side, and my rear wishbone bush is identical to yours, realy badly split!
so i dont know if replacing that alone will cure it, or if the topmounts need doing too. im going to try the bush first, see how it goes, then do top mounts if i need too

id say clunking is down to top mounts. when i had my car on the ramps, i grabbed the wheel and shook like **** and it was clear the top mount was A)goosed B) loose. i had slight knocks over sharp bumps

i get a sound like something is clunking, rattling around, does it worst when reversing and turning at the same time

Good work, at the red diesel mount thread, I posted a PDF and it says what torque :)

Good stuff matey. I did my dog bone last night and used the following torque settings to nip it up. I got these off the golf MKIV site:

The bolt (& nut) which go through the middle of the dogbone mount need to be torqued to 45-55nm. The bolts which go into the chassis need to be 20nm & 90-degrees. And finally, the bolts in the engine need to be 40nm & 90-degrees.

Hope that helps.

Cheers for posting up karl, good pics!

I think I need to do a complete overhaul of suspension components, visually they look shagged out and there's a lot of play in the steering and recently a knocking noise from front drivers wheel.

How hard is it to replace bushings, cv joints and top mounts? I'm fairly handy with a spanner but never done any work on suspension parts.

Cheers for posting up karl, good pics!

I think I need to do a complete overhaul of suspension components, visually they look shagged out and there's a lot of play in the steering and recently a knocking noise from front drivers wheel.

How hard is it to replace bushings, cv joints and top mounts? I'm fairly handy with a spanner but never done any work on suspension parts.

All this to follow buddy! :) More tomorow.

I have the same clunk when I go in reverse to do a 3 point like you Coyle. And when I put it up on a ramp it looks like the bushes in my swinging arms are fecked would that be my problem ?

evening. bit more progress today, not too much as it was bitterly cold :(

well first off i fitted the dogbone mount back in place, nice and easy, took around 20 mins to do
had to remove the bolt in the bottom right corner in order to remove and refit it, by slightly pulling that bar across the subframe out.
P2200088.jpg

next up was to tackle the driveshafts and remove them to fit the new cv boots.
so, with a screw driver in the disc to stop it rotating, and a rather long socket attatchment i cracked the the following bolts off, but only cracked them off for now
P2200086.jpg

P2200087.jpg

once they were cracked off i removed the hub nut, didnt photo this, doh, but just took some muscle to undo. followed by very carefully hamering the drive shaft out of the hub itself.
this left the shaft hanging out of the hub, but still attached on the inside, then simply undo the bolts i cracked off in the first place, and it pulls out
P2200089.jpg

the gaiter on the shaft was split all the way round, grease all over the show, a big horrible mess!
P2200090.jpg

P2200091.jpg

anyway i didnt have a pair of circlip pliers and relevant ones to clip the new one back on so that will likely be done tomoro.

other side was exactly the same procedure, only the outer boot was torn right at the end
P2200092.jpg

and a new one fitted, ready for the clips to be fastened
P2200093.jpg

once thats done they'l be fitted back, and wishbones and all bushes should be done soon, il try get some pictures of them on the press.

danke

Roughly how much did all the bits cost you for this these jobs mate. Ive just had my track rod ends done on Friday and my bushes in my rear arms need doin as well cos 1 side is clunkin when I reverse, and I am thinking I may as well get everything done what you are doing.... Cheers Bud for a really good thread you have pushed me in the right direction just with my track rod ends done I can feel a difference, so with everything else it should really transform my car.... Cheers Rob

Roughly how much did all the bits cost you for this these jobs mate. Ive just had my track rod ends done on Friday and my bushes in my rear arms need doin as well cos 1 side is clunkin when I reverse, and I am thinking I may as well get everything done what you are doing.... Cheers Bud for a really good thread you have pushed me in the right direction just with my track rod ends done I can feel a difference, so with everything else it should really transform my car.... Cheers Rob

thanks for the compliments. i think its the right direction to go. not the first thing on peoples minds when they just want more power, which i do!
il do a list of prices of bits and where from for you soon mate. il have to get all receipts out. kept them all for record.

quick update.
got the circlip pliers to get the inner cv joint off to fit the gaiter, so all the boots and joints were lubed up with the grease that came with the kits and they're all back together ready to go back in.
P2220097.jpg

then took delivery of these delicious items. 2x 45mm powerflex front wishbone bushes. and 1x tpi wheel spacer kit bought from the ttshop.
the bushes went in the wishbones a piece of cake, its great having to just push them in by hand and not have to use a press.
the rears i had someone press in for me, wernt too difficult apparently.
and the spacers, well, i thought they were expensive at £195 delivered, but the quality of them is superb, with two different size bolt sets for the 15mm and 20mm spacers, and 4 locking wheel bolts, and 1 bespoke key. great bit of kit!
P2220096.jpg

nice shot of the wishbones complete, cleaned up, and ready to go back on
P2220100.jpg

P2220101.jpg

and a before and after shot. not that il see the ****** things but keeps me grinning :)
P2180068-1.jpg

the next update will be me fitting all this back on, and removing the suspension to have the top mounts fitted.
adios

Did that rear bush come off like that?? looks like it was about to fall out...some nice tidy work there, once you have got 4 wheel geometry done, it should handle like a dream.....

Did that rear bush come off like that?? looks like it was about to fall out...some nice tidy work there, once you have got 4 wheel geometry done, it should handle like a dream.....
noo that was after i hit it about 3 times with a hammer, did pretty much just plop out though. going to awesome once all this is done to have alignment done. cannot wait! hopefully it wont be too dodgy driving there.

Nice work Karl. All the suspension components are things I'm putting off till the warmer weather arrives. I take my hat off to you sir.
cheers mate, i would've waited for summer, but i couldnt wait any longer with the cv boots the state they were. just got to wrap up warm. hands dont half get cold though. and when i smack my knuckles, well i feel sorry for the neighbours the language that comes out! haha

Good effort. Iv got those spacers too, well worth the extra money I think, they are a quality item.

No joke, out of all the cars iv owned, iv found the s3 the easiest to work on. The easiest CV boot iv ever changed. My MOT time is coming up soon, so no doubt I will be doing much the same work you are.

Although the lower brace looks ghey, Im sure it has some purpose/use, no doubt its quite strong under compression!

Question is... did you get new hub nuts? most people dont seem to bother

are the front wishbone bushes the same on all S3's?

Ive got to do the rear ones, so while the wishbones are off it makes sense to do these i think

see you went for the TT front bushes ive got this set up and its far better than the powerflex set up that was in before !

are the front wishbone bushes the same on all S3's?

Ive got to do the rear ones, so while the wishbones are off it makes sense to do these i think
no there is two sizes, 30mm on very early cars, and 45mm on later models. wont positively know until you check.

see you went for the TT front bushes ive got this set up and its far better than the powerflex set up that was in before !
well, they have the same wishbones, they're just the 45mm powerflex bushes. for S3/tt

The stock S3 bushes have the voids in the bushes were as the tt have the solid type bush.

James, you said TT front bushes, but karl fitted ppwerflew in the front and TT/ R32 in the REAR bush,
Hence the confusion

:)

I have just done the same to my front wishbone setup....however i went for full superpro setup. Apparently they are much closer to OEM than the ones used here. All i can say is that they are excellent, not harsh at all, just a lot tighter than before, and responsive......£90 for bushes! but worth it : ) Doing the rear soon.

I have just done the same to my front wishbone setup....however i went for full superpro setup. Apparently they
are much closer to OEM than the ones used here. All i can say is that they are excellent, not harsh at all, just a lot tighter than before, and responsive......£90 for bushes! but worth it : ) Doing the rear soon.

Good to hear the difference it makes! Rear next for me too! :)

Very nice karl, bet you cant wait to get the beast back on the road.

What top mounts are you fitting, standard or LCR? Where have you ended up getting all your bits from?