superkarls overhaul

Come to think of it Karl, when we did the logs on yours there was no slip at all. I've been in Dans' car when his clutch was on it's way out and doing logs it used to slip like mad!

First car i've sat in with the B5 TIP and got to admit it sounds awesome and although MAF readings were the same as last time, the car did feel alot smoother and at ease. Like you say, i think you've maxed out the G/S for the standard boost/map

You'll have to try my ECU ;)

Yeh i know it doesnt slip, but its like the clutch doesn't grip and transmit the power when launchong it, obv I dont expect it to instantly grip and go, that would break something, it just takes litetally a couple of seconds to grip.

I was thinking before sandip, if were gonna play around with your ecu i dont think wed be able to, the ecus are immobolised with the cars/keys. So it prob wont work :(

excellent news thanks dude.

we just plan to have a play around, do some logs with his ecu, plus gives me a taste for a little more power.
the map thats on it was a half finished stage 1 i believe, sandips car dyno'd 240. 18psi, slightly rich, so should be safe to play around with it. and see what sort of airflow il be getting.

il deffo be getting a compression test done before hand though.

tires are on order, then final setup of the coilovers height wise, and off to awesome for alignment.

Yeh considering standard timeis 6.8, and my wheels are near 2kg heavier than standard 17's.

ive been considering going back to 17s, some wide lightweights, low offset. say 9 inch wide, run 245 tires.
But that's another dream at the mo

Yeh considering standard timeis 6.8, and my wheels are near 2kg heavier than standard 17's.

ive been considering going back to 17s, some wide lightweights, low offset. say 9 inch wide, run 245 tires.
But that's another dream at the mo
yeah you cant beat light weight wheels very underrated mod... i got 5 secs dead a few days ago unmapped!

Awesome work mate!

My best at gti inters was 5.18s with standard avus'.... that ruined my clutch.

I have my Avus's back on at the moment and I must say the car feels a little more nimble than on the 18's...

<tuffty/>

I have my Avus's back on at the moment and I must say the car feels a little more nimble than on the 18's...

<tuffty/>

I'm currently hunting for some new wheels. The difference between my S4s with adapters compared to my 17" avus with no spacers or adapters is amazing. Turns easier, feels more responsive, feels a LOT lighter!

dane, dave, awesome times!
i imagine you do those with just the one gear change, hitting 60 in second?

wheels are massively overlooked as a performance mod, i knew instantly the difference when putting my 18's on. it annoys me lifting them off when doing work on the car, constant reminder of whats letting the car down.

trouble is, i ant find many lightweight wheels out there that will fit the s3 well and actually look good. there isnt a great deal of choice.
i did find a nice set of impreza prodrive wheels though, but impreza wheels tend to have really high offsets of around 40-45, which isnt ideal.

2011-06-29165350.jpg

:whistle2:

<tuffty/>

****** show off!

Q for you Paul, does bill raise the rev limit when putting generic maps on? Is it part of the map, Or would this be done on request?

He can raise the limit on the maps he does but not the Revo IIRC... not sure what he normally does but on the hybrid and BT stuff he normally takes it to 7.4k to 7.8k depending...

<tuffty/>

Loving the work Karl I got a B5 TIP this week and seeing a picture of it with the other one makes me glad I bought it how are the coilovers feeling on your car?

Loving the work Karl I got a B5 TIP this week and seeing a picture of it with the other one makes me glad I bought it how are the coilovers feeling on your car?
coilovers feel great! couldnt be more pleased.
il be even more pleased when i get alignment at awesomegti on wednesday (ya can tell it needs doing, still improvements with braking stability to be made)

you'l love the B5 tip. i just need more boost now :( getting hungry

il get an up to date pic of my car this week. im not gonna lie, its looking good now its at a respectable low :)

Aye gonna have my car remapped next month i'm wanting to lower my car to but not to sure if coilovers are gonna happen as my driveway has an incline at the front where my bumper already scrapes might just have to settle for lowering springs instead!

if it already scrapes you'l need a new driveway even with lowering springs! lol

im after more power too, but i think an engine rebuild would be a good investment, then i can up power to my hearts content.
otherwise il just get all the bolt ons available and mapped, then run it till something dies.
but i like to be sensible.

Haha aye mate stupid driveway just drive it in at an angle my clio was lowered by 30mm and it was fine but less overhang if you know what I mean!

coilovers feel great! couldnt be more pleased.
il be even more pleased when i get alignment at awesomegti on wednesday (ya can tell it needs doing, still improvements with braking stability to be made)

you'l love the B5 tip. i just need more boost now :( getting hungry

il get an up to date pic of my car this week. im not gonna lie, its looking good now its at a respectable low :)

Get a pic up Karl. Glad your happy with the collies.

Sunset is the best time for Ming blue, makes it look so slick

service time comes far too quickly!
been doing alot more miles recently too, so she's getting on a bit, but drives great still :)
IMAG0147.jpg

new:
oil
oil filter
fuel filter
pollen filter
spark plugs
discs
pads

although, as ever, problems and niggles are found....
P3160093.jpg

i jack the car up to find oil all over the sump, gearbox, dogbone mount, subframe, lower strut brace.
now its allllways been dry as a bone, so quite a surprise, so i started cleaning it up and hunted for a source.

P3160094.jpg

P3160095.jpg

above was my first idea, the seal on the gearbox, i think? but i thought that would be unlikely to just go so sudden.
P3160096-1.jpg

i then noticed how thick it was on the front of the sump, and realised that the dip stick tube was directly above this, circled.
turns out theres loads of thick oil/sludge here. and its always baffled me how the orange dip stick tube just slots onto the pipe going into the engine/sump, no seal at all, so i've come to the conclusion that this is where my leak is, and the oil is leaking down the sump to the back and splashing/spraying onto the dogbone and subframe.
P3160097.jpg

P3160098.jpg

cleaned up ready to be checked again soon.
i did take the dipstick tube off, and snapped it, doh! but its back on in 2 pieces and i tried sealing the tube onto the tube on the engine, in the hope it will fix the leak. but now i need a new tube.

my question is, will the tube be ok in 2 pieces with the car being used in the week??
will oil be going everywhere? it is snapped right at the top.

so after the service was done i turned my attention to fitting my forge short shifter which has been in the boot for a few weeks now.
however, another issue, how on earth do these gear cable ends come off??
P3160099.jpg

mine are the ball ends without circlips, so i assume they just forcefully pop off?
i did try with quite a bit of force but they wouldnt budge.

is there a nack to this??
i really done want to break them. and really want a shorter throw!

thanks for your time/help/thoughts.

peace

On the end of the cables, near the ball join and the spring. That erm.....ring or what ever the name is for it, that pulls towards the ball join and quarter turn it clips in and releases the cable.
No idea how the call joint comes off. The joins on the Pugs gear box is forcefully removed with allot of effort but really easy to put back on.

Karl get over to forges website, you can download a pdf file that gives you a step by step guide.

Karl get over to forges website, you can download a pdf file that gives you a step by step guide.
just says they pop off? THEY DO NOT JUST POP OFF!
im just gonna have to go for it arent i.

word of advise for anyone contemplating running there car with a broken dipstick....DONT
P3190100.jpg

P3190101.jpg

oil everywhere!
i lost about 3-4mm on the dipstick today, did about 40 miles, had no choice :(
ordered a dipstick tube first thing this morning through TPS, fitted it this evening, used sealant where the tube connects to the engine.
part number: 06A103663B
got 4% discount and it came to £3.76

Think they need some force mate.

Damn that is bad, bet you loved cleanin that little lot up.

Did this ever get sorted Karl? And what was the crack with those trailing arm bushes...

Did this ever get sorted Karl? And what was the crack with those trailing arm bushes...
yep, got sorted that night with a new dipstick tube, a sh*******te load of degreaser and some elbow grease, oh and some oil to top up. its not leaking anymore.
you know the deal with my trailing arm bushes you cheeky yut. they'l get done along with the rest of my pile of car stuff thats accumulating in the garage:

rear discs
rear pads
haldex controller
downpipe & decat
trailing arm bushes
and a FMIC which is with an insanely skilled fabricator getting 63mm pipes put on.

heres todays news. a mini detail:
http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/detailing/154028-first-minor-detail-year.html#post1539354

Last edited: