Sky InsuranceJMB Retrofits
Page 24 of 24 FirstFirst ... 141718192021222324
Like Tree228Likes

Thread: superkarls overhaul

South East Events Moderator

Status

My Social Networking

Follow kwistof On Twitter Visit kwistof's Youtube Channel Visit kwistof's Instagram Channel
    Have a read of this fella, as I also thought it was 1 year and you had to renew but the gov.uk says otherwise below....what sort of date did you get the letter? Before December 2013?

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/d...-for-motorists

NCB does expire - all of the companies we deal with will accept them for upto 2 years - some more upto 3 years tbh.
    2000 S3 APY

18" BBS RSII with Michelin PS3s, 20mm H&R adapters, Relentless 3" DP and Sports cat, B5 V1 induction kit, cone filter+heat shield, Forge 007P, Awesome GTI SMF, AP coilovers, Facelift rear lights, Full Powerflex poly bush kit, R32 Rear ARB, SAI delete, N249 by-pass, Upgraded Engine mounts with Polytek, Stage 1 CC at Badger 5.

2. # ADS
    ADS

Status

My Social Networking

Follow kwistof On Twitter Visit kwistof's Youtube Channel Visit kwistof's Instagram Channel
    Edit from what I put before to not cause confusion, as I believe the rules have changed and depending upon the insurer this is the legal way of doing things and keeping all the tax people/government/insurers happy..

Sooooo the very legal way to do is to trailer the car (not tow) to the MOT centre and then get insurance and finally Un SORN and then tax it to drive
    Last edited by kwistof; 24th April 2014 at 15:28.
    2000 S3 APY

18" BBS RSII with Michelin PS3s, 20mm H&R adapters, Relentless 3" DP and Sports cat, B5 V1 induction kit, cone filter+heat shield, Forge 007P, Awesome GTI SMF, AP coilovers, Facelift rear lights, Full Powerflex poly bush kit, R32 Rear ARB, SAI delete, N249 by-pass, Upgraded Engine mounts with Polytek, Stage 1 CC at Badger 5.

MAN OF STEEL

Status
    Thanks Kris, much appreciated!

ive also just got off the phone to my uncle who owns Coversure and hes confirmed a few things.

my main concern was for my NCB but that's fine now.

Il get my dad to whack trade plates on to go for the MOT.

onward and upward!

TFSI Hybrid

Status
    Your to posh for liverpool Karl....

MAN OF STEEL

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by s3dave View Post
    Your to posh for liverpool Karl....
    Why you say that Lord Horsforth
    s3dave likes this.

Status

My Social Networking

No worries.....got there in the end as I was sure there a correct legal way of doing it for private use...but involves a trailer none the less.

The other is trade plates as you said - so it's all good.

Bet you can't wait to fire up the quattro all legally on the road
    2000 S3 APY

TFSI Hybrid

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by superkarl View Post
    Why you say that Lord Horsforth
    Just saying...

Is it running ok then?

MAN OF STEEL

Status
    help.

I tried to start the car tonight.
    after I primed it last time and found the throttle body throwing a spaz my mate brought along VCDS lite in the hope it would reveal a code and/or we could do an alignment.

Firstly I could not read the engine at all. AWD, instruments etc all fine. just couldn't find the engine. This is the version of VCDS ive always used. 409.1. My initial thoughts are maybe when Dan flashed it or did what he did its an updated version that the VCDS cannot read?? Maybe I should PM Dan about that.

So we cranked it over anyway, first get some oil pressure, reading 'Oil Pr: OK' on VCDS as we do so.
    Next I put fuse 28 in for the fuel pump, and then ignition on... no priming??? weird. we try anyway. cranked and cranked, nothing until it cranked over for a split second before conking out. Literally rose to 1200rpm then died.

Now with the ignition on we had the fuel pump priming on and off in rhythm to the throttle body spaz. WTF. how are they even related.
    Subsequent attempts resulted in the same, cranks for a second then dies. The last crank ended with the biggest backfire I have ever heard, all the dogs within about 5 miles went ape ****. The engine was no warmer than a fart, how was that even possible.

We checked ALL the fuses on the side of the dash, all on top of the battery, and attempted to check earths in the bay.
    Can someone clarify the earths/battery connections?
    1 under the battery from negative terminal that goes to starter.
    1 positive to starter.
    That's all I can see. there has to be more surely?

The TB spaz and no comms with engine/ecu is the big issue. One caused by the other no doubt. I just don't know where to begin.

3rd Gear

Status
    Sounds very similar to the problem I had with mine. Would turn over but not fire then a huge backfire. The car would turn over with the (not sure of the name) sensor unplugged on the drivers side of the intake manifold (rough description). Turned out the ecu was fecked and had to be replaced.
    superkarl likes this.
    B5 v1 Tip, B5 Exhaust Manifold, Beach Buggy Hybrid, Pipewerx D.P and cat bypass, Miltek resonated cat back, AH Fabs v2 Intercooler, S2000 Filter, 83mm 9.5:1 CP Pistons, Brute Rods, Bosch 550cc Injectors, Oil Catch can, N249 delete, B5 Phenolic Gasket, Devils Own Water Meth Kit, Forge baffled sump.
    H&R Springs, Koni FSD Shocks, s3dave's rear tie bars, R32 ARB's, LCR Brembo's, 18" ttrs alloys, replaced all suspension bushes, 15/20mm spacers front/rear, Vibratechnics Engine Mounts.

LORD

Status

My Social Networking

Add limbo118118 on Facebook
    iv got an earth to the engine block too connected to one of the bolts holding gearbox on that connects to under the battery too... maybe go over alll earths wire brush etc etc? worth a try series of elimation i guess air / fuel /spark etc :s hope you sort it matey!

4th Gear

Status
    Reconnect your old throttle body electrically then turn on the ignition and see if it behaves normally or "spaz" out. If it behaves normal give cranking a try and see what happens. If it still malfunctions then try flashing the stock ECU file back on and retry.
    2008 E92 BMW 335i M-sport
    1990 Golf GTi w/ a 20v heart BUILD THREAD
    Full VCDS

2006 A3 2.0T quattro S-line R.I.P. You will be missed.

** Breaking - 8L 1997 Audi A3 1.8T. **

MAN OF STEEL

Status
    Throttle body/fuel pump/no ecu comms hopefully fixed.

However, its ended before it began. Bleeding the clutch last night and the slave cylinder failed, fluid pissing from the bell housing. cheers.

Is this a common thing for them to fail? its brand new. Luk or Sachs I think. I had some clutch pedal for a bit and was pumping it then pop, pedal straight to the floor.

Badger 5 Edition

Status
    Sorry dude... just caught up with this...

Not really sure on the electrical gremlins tbh... engine control relay has given similar symptoms in the past though..

Have never had a slave gone funky personally but I guess it can happen... its not from the connection on the top though? I bleed clutches using a vacuum bleeder... draw some fluid through, tighten nipple then hand pump the clutch pedal a few time... repeat until pedal feels ok and returns under its own steam... can take a few attempts to get a pedal mind...

Good luck dude... home stretch now

<tuffty/>
    Silver 2001 AMK S3. Silver alcantara interior... now with added powarrrrrrrr, torques. VAGCOM + KII-USB. >> My build thread...

MAN OF STEEL

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by <tuffty/> View Post
    Sorry dude... just caught up with this...

Not really sure on the electrical gremlins tbh... engine control relay has given similar symptoms in the past though..

Have never had a slave gone funky personally but I guess it can happen... its not from the connection on the top though? I bleed clutches using a vacuum bleeder... draw some fluid through, tighten nipple then hand pump the clutch pedal a few time... repeat until pedal feels ok and returns under its own steam... can take a few attempts to get a pedal mind...

Good luck dude... home stretch now

<tuffty/>
    Dan has my electrical gremlins sorted I think, the legend that he is.
    For future reference which is the engine control relay?

I wish it was from the connection on the top
    My dad did the bulk of it. Came round with pipe, bottles and a syringe. We were flushing with ATE super blue and he actually started reverse bleeding the clutch, getting the peddle back then it just 'popped' under my foot.

its the home stretch but a very very long stretch. Had the clutch not died it would probably be moving under its own power by Friday.
    But I go away for 9 weeks on Friday, so now it will realistically be late August.
    My dad said he will do me the favour of dropping the box and investigating/fitting a new slave to it while im away which would be awesome.
    All this is delaying the sale of the other car

3rd Gear

Status
    What were the problems in the end with the electrics.
    B5 v1 Tip, B5 Exhaust Manifold, Beach Buggy Hybrid, Pipewerx D.P and cat bypass, Miltek resonated cat back, AH Fabs v2 Intercooler, S2000 Filter, 83mm 9.5:1 CP Pistons, Brute Rods, Bosch 550cc Injectors, Oil Catch can, N249 delete, B5 Phenolic Gasket, Devils Own Water Meth Kit, Forge baffled sump.
    H&R Springs, Koni FSD Shocks, s3dave's rear tie bars, R32 ARB's, LCR Brembo's, 18" ttrs alloys, replaced all suspension bushes, 15/20mm spacers front/rear, Vibratechnics Engine Mounts.

MAN OF STEEL

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by IrishDave View Post
    What were the problems in the end with the electrics.
    something to do with files/codes etc. **** way beyond me

3rd Gear

Status
    Glad you got it sorted. Pity about the clutch though.

MAN OF STEEL

Status
    so while im away I get some pics from my old man:

what are my options for subframe bushes while its off???

Badger 5 Edition

Status
    Sod bushes... paint it!..

<tuffty/>
    Westy, superkarl and basil brush like this.
    Silver 2001 AMK S3. Silver alcantara interior... now with added powarrrrrrrr, torques. VAGCOM + KII-USB. >> My build thread...

3rd Gear

Status

One of the TT models had stiffer rear subframe bushes, they are not cheap though...

Audi S3 8L in absolute red, Stage 2 tuned & Golf MK4 GT TDI PD, bright green pearl, also Stage 2 tuned... 23mpg vs 53mpg!

Double Dark Side! Diesel & 8P

Status
    How long has your been off the road now Karl? Have you still got any love for it?
    superkarl likes this.
    8P A3 TDI - 220bhp - 335lbft
    A3 Maintenance Thread
    Bye bye S3 you will be missed.
    S3 Build Thread

Audi-sports own special child.

Status
    Burn it.
    superkarl likes this.
    Driving the most secretive S3 on ASN

MAN OF STEEL

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Westy View Post
    How long has your been off the road now Karl? Have you still got any love for it?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dani_B19 View Post
    Burn it.
    Dani read my mind.
    about 18months ish

tuffty im gonna ask my dad if he'll power wash it, if I ask him to paint it he will without a doubt tell me to swivvle. Is that ok? lol
    <tuffty/> and Dani_B19 like this.

Audi-sports own special child.

Status
    Ok ill burn it and give you a tenner . Seriously though why arnt you working on it mate?
    Driving the most secretive S3 on ASN

MAN OF STEEL

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Dani_B19 View Post
    Ok ill burn it and give you a tenner . Seriously though why arnt you working on it mate?
    im away mate. degree and career comes first. worry about the car when I have time
    Westy, S3Alex, ScottD3 and 2 others like this.

Down under

Status
    034 Alumunium or Tyrolsport Bronze if you want solid (why not?). Obviously Tyrolsport say the aluminium ones can deform and 034 say it's not a problem.
    superkarl likes this.
    Handling mods++. HTA3582 stroker soon-ish. Hiding parts from the mrs since 2011. Build thread