Cracked exhaust manifold, options?

DavidW

Reaction score
Not having the greatest time of at the moment! I've currently got the engine in bits due to a stripped cam belt. Got the head back today and stuck it on the dining room table (mrs was very chuffed) ready to start putting stuff back on, only to find a crack on the flange that sits against the turbo. Closer inspection shows it is also cracked on the inside where the two chambers come together just before it exits. So far the cracks haven't made it to the outside, it looks like when I have unbolted it tension has been released and the flange has twisted slightly causing the crack. It looks like when it's bolted back down it would pull the crack back together.
Obviously it's much easier to sort this now rather than gamble only to have to swap it with the head on so what are the options. Is this one of the cases where a performance upgrade is cheaper than standard or should I start scouring the scrapyards?

Thought as much. What other models share the manifold? It's just S3's are fairly rare and there are no specific Audi breakers round here.

Maybe, like I said it's not reached the outside of the manifold yet but the crack on the flange is all the way across and quite deep down inside. Also, on the outside edge of the flange where the crack is it is slightly raised so I don't think it would seal back down properly.
I'll try and get some pics up to explain better.

Dave_Wallbank

crack002.jpg picture by Dave_Wallbank - Photobucket

ebay mate plenty people breaking audi s3's or try nirro ltd.

I don't think it's a particularly free flowing item in the first place!

Maybe, like I said it's not reached the outside of the manifold yet but the crack on the flange is all the way across and quite deep down inside. Also, on the outside edge of the flange where the crack is it is slightly raised so I don't think it would seal back down properly.
I'll try and get some pics up to explain better.
yes it looks that way

surely a weld there would just restrict flow?
You could grind a small 'v' and put a root in and then cap it then smooth off the excess,If memory serves me well you would have to stickweld it also pre-heating it also,I'm a coded welder but not in that process.

Common place for them to crack... mine did the same... trouble is there are currently very limited options for a replacement of these... if keeping your car std (ish) then just replace with a std mani preferably a new OEM one as secondhand ones even if they haven't cracked yet will go the same way sooner than a new one (should do at least!)...

Other options are of course the XS Power one that Welly is using or wait for the JBS one... whenever that may arrive... expect to pay between 300 and 400 quid for what ever option.... at least your head is off now so should be easy enough to fit the XS Power one and it seems the quality is getting better too as this one actually fitted (with a slight mod from Bill at Badger 5 of course)

K04 mani's are inherently rubbish... they flow less than the K03 ones and as a result get really hot...

<tuffty/>

I'm wondering if this is where my slight exhaust blow is coming from on mine.

How hard are they to remove with the head in place?

I'm wondering if this is where my slight exhaust blow is coming from on mine.

How hard are they to remove with the head in place?

Looking at it, very. There are 13 nuts to get it off the head, all of which will be very tight and coroded and a few are a bit tricky to get a socket on even with the head off.
I've just pulled the gasket off the top of the turbo and that is in 3 pieces, I'm guessing that hasn't helped much.

Looks like a trip to the dealers then, just what I need!

Looking at it, very. There are 13 nuts to get it off the head, all of which will be very tight and coroded and a few are a bit tricky to get a socket on even with the head off.
I've just pulled the gasket off the top of the turbo and that is in 3 pieces, I'm guessing that hasn't helped much.

Looks like a trip to the dealers then, just what I need!

Great lol

I was planning on pulling it all off and replacing the gaskets when the weather improves, looks like I could be in for some work.