Sky InsuranceChris Nott
    Reverse Gear

Status

2005 A3 1.6.....ruined (i think!!)

Hi,

I think my A3 is about to give up the ghost! The E.S.P warning light came on two weeks back, and has remained on almost constantly ever since, although it does intermittently turn off! Since yesterday its started to play up when starting, starts eventually but takes a little while to make its mind up! Then, when it does start the revs keep dropping out when idling causing the engine to stall every now and again, and to sound like a Sherman tank constantly! Then when I do eventually start accelerating it feels like the car is lacking in power, with intermittent surges of power like a turbo is kicking in....except I don' have a turbo!!!!

Any ideas what might be causing all of this? I want to sell the bl**dy thing soon so I want to get it sorted as soon as possible!

Thanks for any help

2. # ADS
    ADS

1st Gear

Status
    If it's a 2005 you'll need to post this on the 8P A3 forum, this one is for the earlier 8l models.
    As it is though I'd say the first step is to take it somewhere that has diagnostic equipment and get it scanned for fault codes.

Reverse Gear

Status
    Thanks david, got it booked in to get it hooked up to the computer on Monday. Just wondered if any of the problems were common place! Posted in the 8P forum now, sorry about that!!!!

1st Gear

Status
    The ESP light is fairly common but can be caused by any number of things, there are various sensors that the ESP system uses and it only takes one to be faulty to trigger the warning light, that's why you really need to get it scanned.

6th Gear

Status
    Could be a knackered maf.
    revo'd

5th Gear

Status
    Or a vacuum hose somewhere has come adrift or split
    1999 A3 Quattro 1.8T Pics >>HERE
    2002 A4 Avant quattro 1.9 TDi