STIFF STEERING

S

shanejess

my stearing has always felt stiff since i bought the car 2 years ago, i notice this more at the weekends after being in my A3 diesel during the week, when reversing or turning when going quite slow the steering is stiffer than i think it should be, when friends have driven the car they have comented on the stiff steering. their is no strange noise or anything coming from the steering an ive checked steering fluid level which is fine, is the S3 steering supposed to be like this or does any one know what the problem might be, thanks in advance shane.

Check fluid is actually green, and not red as this is the wrong one. brown is worn out.. etc. use it on a clean tissue..
Tire pressure makes a huge difference, both side must be equal.
finally if non made a difference check the condition of the drive belt for cracks and worn out condition, if it has gone shiny then its likely to slip from time to time. and lastly with the TDi engines they have issues with alternator pully this affects the steering, usually makes some noise sometimes it doesn't it works abit like the clutch on the AC compressor, so that might be simillar to your s3.
My steering feels heavier than most other VAG cars I have driven.

also ive noticed a pressure switch on the pump does anyone know if we can test it with vagcom as my steering is heavier than my mates s3 and there seems to be no visual problems

Check fluid is actually green, and not red as this is the wrong one. brown is worn out.. etc. use it on a clean tissue..
Tire pressure makes a huge difference, both side must be equal.

Could worn out fluid cause creaking (noise) in the rack?