JMB RetrofitsChris Nott
    Reverse Gear

Status

How does a headgasket problem occur....?

The reason I ask the above question is because I am looking to buy an Audi A3 1.8T....and a freind just bought an A3 1.6 SE and the headgasket went on it (74k)...also I went to view another 1.6 SE A3(64k) with a freind this evening which had blatent Headgasket problems....
    Is this a common fault with the 1600 engines or is it a common faults with A3 engines etc....
    This is a cuase for concern as I would'nt like to end up with a similar problem if I was to get one....
    Or is it just a case of neglect and bad servicing, I have had two MK2 gti's with around 100k and have never heard of a similar problem so surely it can't be poor reliability on behalf of VAG/Audi ???

2. # ADS
    ADS

2nd Gear

Status

Re: How does a headgasket problem occur....?

[ QUOTE ]
    faisal said:
    The reason I ask the above question is because I am looking to buy an Audi A3 1.8T....and a freind just bought an A3 1.6 SE and the headgasket went on it (74k)...also I went to view another 1.6 SE A3(64k) with a freind this evening which had blatent Headgasket problems....
    Is this a common fault with the 1600 engines or is it a common faults with A3 engines etc....
    This is a cuase for concern as I would'nt like to end up with a similar problem if I was to get one....
    Or is it just a case of neglect and bad servicing, I have had two MK2 gti's with around 100k and have never heard of a similar problem so surely it can't be poor reliability on behalf of VAG/Audi ???

[/ QUOTE ]

Normally happens as a result of overheating through sudden coolant loss or general neglect. Didn't think HG failures were that common on the audi engines. Some engines are more prone to it that others due to gaps between cylinders for example.

Adam

Neutral

Status

if it went it would only be a few 100 quid for a replacement!

5th Gear

Status

[ QUOTE ]
    greytsport1 said:
    if it went it would only be a few 100 quid for a replacement!

[/ QUOTE ]

Unless you've warped the head in the process, then you're looking at quite some pennies....

And as said headgaskets are not a common problem on A3's, or Audi's in general.

5th Gear

Status

[ QUOTE ]
    Rev-head said:
    As monty77 says about overheating and Neglect,you can tell if has ever been over heated as the expansion tank will be stained brownie colour

[/ QUOTE ]

isn't that just rust if water has been put in the coolant with no anti freeze rust inhibitant?