Changing interior lights to LED

physk

Reaction score
Hey guys, first post here

Got an 8L, ive changed the front H1 (facelift) to HID 6000K, changing sidelight 501s when the bulbs arrive (should be about monday/tuesday)

Ordering some 239s for the number plate

Now for the inside of the car:

So far there are
2x44mm Festoon bulbs (map bulbs)
2x37-39mm Festoon bulbs (visor bulbs)

There are a pair of bulbs that look like the one on the right... :
wb2o09.jpg

and say OSRAM 3860 on them..... Can't find LED for these anywhere or not sure what type bulb they are... Any ideas?

Still yet to look at the boot bulbs, under door light, see if i can do the footwell bulb, and finally the glovebox.

Thanks guys

Any idea what that bulb is on the right
Found it before, but lost what it was called. And now just can't seem to find it
:S

The under door bulbs are 501's, bit tight for room in the holders though so look before ordered slightly bigger led versions ;)

LED Retrofits are BIG in SA. Most of us have done it and we don't come up with errors.

Here are some links.

We used to import from TunerDomes
Great site cause they sell the kits specific to your ride and the bulbs are Plug and Play.

A local guy now stocks them: LED Lighting | Electromann SA

Hope this helps....​

Found the bulb on the left hand side
It's a ba9s bulb
Gonna check boot and glove box

I'm trying to avoid kits to keep costs down

Also for those who have done this before
Do th LEDs look too bright or is it okay

Last edited:
So what bulbs does the front interior light run? Are the two big bulbs 39mm festoon bulbs? What about the 2 little reading lights? Also what are the door puddle light bulbs?

Front interior are festoons I think they're the 44mm and the visor ones are the 39mm
The small reading lights are the ba9s

Havnt done the door ones yet but someone said they were 501s

I think the door ones are 501's, well at least the red side door lights, i dont know about the puddle ones, plus it's raining so cant even check :(.

How can you get the plastic off the puddle ones
I can't seem to do it

Also is it possible to mod in some footwell lights

Thanks mate appreciate it
Any ideas on boot and glove box guys

If not will go check them in abit

Boots festoon mate, there the same size as the number plate ones.

No idea about the glove box, go out and check :).

I would also love to fit some red footlights under the dash, would look quite nice.

Bulb types so far:
Door puddle 2x501
Visor 2xfestoon 39mm
Map 2xfestoon 44mm
Number plate 2xfestoon 39mm
Boot ?xfestoon 39mm
Small reading 4xba9s
Glove box

Optional
Door red light 2x501

BTW, where's everyone buying their led's from that doesnt cost the earth?

I'm gettin mine cheap from
Wardenjp.com
Or maybe
Dealextreme.com

Both are from china so saves costs
Will take time but are good sites
Alot of vag and seat Leon boys use wardenjp

Will do guys
I'm just gonna go check the glovebox and whether there actually is one
Im not sure ive got one... or its gone lol

Also guys
there might be differences depending on the type of bulb you go for
SMD(brighter) vs LED(Not as bright?)

Would anyone know the differences between the two?

Someone correct me if I'm wrong,but SMD is short for surface mount diode,so a board mounted led.Not necessarily brighter.Brightest LEDs I've come across are CREE LEDs.

Ive got a cree led torch used for little late night car duties, and can say its super bright

never knew theyre was car cree led bulbs?

also glove box bulb is a festoon 39mm

:)

will check out how much it comes out for all the bulbs soon :)

Full Audi a3 8l bulb kit

Sidlight led 501 x 2
Puddle light 501 x 2
Red light near puddle 501 x 2

Map reading bulbs*
Festoon 44mm x 2

Interior reading lights x 4
Ba9s

Visor x 2
Number plate x 2
Glovebox x 1
Boot x 2
Festoon ba9s x 7 (I ordered 8 just to keep a spare)

Total:
Festoon
39mm - 8
44mm - 2

Ba9s - 4

501s - 4

£25 delivered
On*
warden_jp2002 Stores Auto LED bulbs

Dealextreme was an effort finding the sizes*

I fitted some of these Flexible LED Strip SMD Red - 10cm Piece - 12v - UK on eBay (end time 18-Feb-11 20:11:51 GMT) under the dash to illuminate the footwells and under the back of the front seats to illuminate the rear footwells they give the same red glow that you have under the ashtray and combined with the ambient light mod look really good and very OEM the wife liked them that much she made me fit some blue ones to her electric blue Vauxhall Tigra

Could you post any pics to show how they look?

leave it with me i'll see what i can do... have to wait till it's dark and not the easiest to get a good picture of.... looks good though... very OEM like i said and not really bright and chavy.... looks good with red mats too

Seems like they were hard to fit on.
what did you have to do.

I fitted some of these Flexible LED Strip SMD Red - 10cm Piece - 12v - UK on eBay (end time 18-Feb-11 20:11:51 GMT) under the dash to illuminate the footwells and under the back of the front seats to illuminate the rear footwells they give the same red glow that you have under the ashtray and combined with the ambient light mod look really good and very OEM the wife liked them that much she made me fit some blue ones to her electric blue Vauxhall Tigra

Have you got any pictures, how did you connect the bulbs up? Would love todo this.

Also physk your a legend mate, going to get these ordered up tomoz seeming as it's payday :).

No worries budds
i thought itd be interesting having a list with all the bulbs
searched everywhere but couldt find em so decided to check them all out myself

Ok here ya go.... sorry about the pics as i said i'm pants at taking pictures at night so the first 2 are over exposed and look much brighter than it realy is and the last one is under exposed so is a little too dark but it's getting there... anyway you get the idea

all i used were those strips of led lights from the Ebay link they come with about 5 or 6 coloured leds on a thin flexible strip that has double sided tape attached to it so you can stick it anywhere you like , they are already wired up with about a meter of wire and i just patched it into the wires that feed the ashtray lamp so they come on with the sidelights

I'd say no3 looks like a black out, no lighty, no likely, lmfao.

So how did you get to the ashtray wiring? Any links to the lights you got, had a look on ebay and just frows up ****.

Hrmm, im not sure if its the pics or not but they look abit too bright too my taste
yeah lol no3 looks like total darkness

Too much red makes you angry.. I would stick with the standard one, or ice white to cool my brain down. :)

They aint that bright.... pics were took on a tripod with long exposure .... look how bright the dials are , the Head unit and Aircon try to tone it down to how they would really look and you get the idea.... hell i aint tryin to sell you owt .... people just said they had thought about footwell ilumination and i have allready done it and it's very subtle maybe a video might be a better idea ?

if you look at pic 2 ..... look at the lighting from the OEM light under the ashtray....... we all have that light but it looks really bright in my photo because it's taken at night with long exposure....... imagine the same light in the footwells and thats what i have just a dull red glow