View Poll Results:

Voters
0. You may not vote on this poll
  • 0 0%
    Administrator

Status

Day-Out Part 2 - A3s & Avus?

Hi guys and gals,

Further to the jackanory I got from Preston Audi the other day, I'm just wondering about the actual numbers of people connected with Audi-Sport.net who have come across an A3 & Avus combination before - I'm certain I'm not the first...

Regards,

Rob.

<FORM METHOD=POST ACTION="http://www.audi-sport.net/ubbthreads/dopoll.php"><INPUT TYPE=HIDDEN NAME="pollname" VALUE="1105006023FactionOne">

Avus vs. A3

<input type="radio" name="option" value="1" />YES! I own, or know someone who owns an A3 on (ex-S3) Avus wheels, and it's fine.
    <input type="radio" name="option" value="2" />YES I own, or know someone who owns an A3 on (ex-S3) Avus wheels, and it's a knocking, banging, brake-eating wreck [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
    <input type="radio" name="option" value="3" />NO! I have never owned, seen, or heard of another A3 on (ex-S3) Avus wheels. ?!?
    <input type="radio" name="option" value="4" />NO! You can't put ex-S3 Avus wheels on an A3, they're incompatible you fool! (Offset/Clearance etc.)
    <input type="radio" name="option" value="5" />WHAT?!? I didn't read the other thread but now I'm here I'm damn sure I want to click a button! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

<INPUT TYPE=Submit NAME=Submit VALUE="Submit vote" class="buttons"></form>

2. # ADS
    ADS

2nd Gear

Status

Re: Day-Out Part 2 - A3s & Avus?

They will be fine mate.
    Cant possibly be in contact with your brakes in any way shape or form.
    I think the avus wheels are et 32 or 30 , standard a3 wheels are et35 .
    This means that they will be further away from the brake assembley , not closer to it.

...Watching you!

Status

I ran S3 Avus wheels on my A3 for over a year with not a single problem! They are 17x7.5 ET32

Rich

Freezing in Moscow

Status

Yes I had my A3TQ on S3 Avus alloys for a year (and 12,000 miles) before getting bored of them and switching to RS4-style alloys. Car seemed and seems absolutely fine.

5th Gear

Status

[ QUOTE ]
    Drill said:
    Don't the Avus wheels pretty much MATCH the specs on the A3 17" optional wheels??? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you're right there drillybob.

My Avus's have been on my lowered A3T for well over a year now and do not have any contact problems at all

...that was until some silly sod (Michael) decided to give me a lower intercooler pipe that's two and half times wider than the original, then I got problems on full lock...soon sorted with a bit of adjustment though [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif[/img]

Just read the full story, and it seems that either the notes from the technician were incorrectly translated, or he didn't know his arse from his elbow and has just left his job at quick-fit! The wheels cannot impact on the discs or caliper/pads, it's physically impossible unless you managed to fit some porsche big brakes in your sleep!
    The protrusion in the centre of the wheel which gives the offset is so on the Avus's that it comes away from the brakes, making it impossible for any part of the wheel to come in contact.

I think you need to get some more clarification from them and advise them to stop dicking you about as you are a member of a forum or several and know of many other A3's running without such problems....as well as the physical impossibilities of such a problem!

Cheers again for that pipe Drill [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif[/img]

Administrator

Status

[ QUOTE ]
    Drill said:
    Just checked ETKA and the closest I could find to the Avus' (Which are 7.5JX17H2 ET 32 part # 8L9 601 025) are the 16" 5-spokes (Part # 8N0 601 025 C) which have an offset of ET 31 so wouldn't THEY be even closer to the brakes than the Avus'?? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
    Hey folks,

Sorry I've been quiet for so long... Things have been rather busy at work and I spent the weekend at my ladyfriend's place in shropshire and that totally rules out any as.n [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img] (although I did manage to catch-up on the fireworks in the general forum on the train home - disgraceful! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif[/img])

The story is still ongoing, with discussions set to continue with both the independant who fitted the new caliper/discs/pads and Preston Audi who made the interesting diagnosis - more on that as it happens. ...Needless to say the follow-up call from Audi UK was quite interesting, there was plenty of mention of the folks on here and the information and accounts you've offered, and also the figures I'd managed to get from a sneaky glance at ETKA...

It would appear the 5-spoke wheels I took off were 6" wide on 38mm offset, the Avus are 7.5" wide on 32mm; when you do the maths that means they sit 13mm further inside the arch (where there's plenty of clearance anyway), and the face stands a full 25mm towards the outside of the car.

The chap from Audi who called didn't really have too much to say after that point, but we'll see what happens.

Thanks for all your help folks,

Regards,

Rob.

S3 Drift King!

Status

[ QUOTE ]
    caractere 007 said:
    yeah no probs fella...on my old old old 1.6 lowered with H&amp;R springs a3

[/ QUOTE ]

Caractere, is that a black motor I see before my eyes? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

Administrator

Status

[ QUOTE ]
    jojo said:
    Caractere, is that a black motor I see before my eyes? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
    I'd consider the python defence and "build a large &lt;GREY&gt; wooden badger" to avoid answering that one [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Regards,

Rob.