Springs Shot!!

Reaction score
After checking over the car the other day. I found that my rear springs are rusted, resulting in them shearing off a whole coil on both sides.
Im looking at replacing the front and rear shocks. But would like to upgrade to an aftermarket suspension kit. I've read the stickies on the site, and although there very good. Could i ask peoples personnel opinions on the setup they may be running. The UK road are harsh and unforgiving where i live, so i don't want a boneshaking ride that going to spoil the enjoyment of the car.

I've seen the cheap jamo coilovers on e-bay. Love the price, but would like more feedback before making any sort of financial commitment. :s3addict:

I'm just about to replace my suspension for a set ride height KW kit. I dont want a harsh ride from coilover and I dont want to spend more than £500. You also want to consider that if you drop the car any more than 20mm you will require adjustable tie bars which are around £250 to add on top!

Thanks WestleI had considered the possible purchase of adj tie bars may be required, can't believe how much they are! I'm in two minds wether to just replace the springs for standard parts or upgrade. which is why im after people opinions in the 1st place as to what there setup is like and roughly how much it cost. I've already got a set of BBS 18" Reps on so lowering it would certainly complete the look.

the cost of a set of front or rear oem cost more than a good aftermarket set eibach or h&r

If just had Bilstein B8 shocks and H&R springs fitted - what a difference!
The car is now the perfect height for me and feels much more comfortable (less jarring over bumps than standard) and totally confidence inspiring (more sporty feel and better roadholding). There's less road noise too and the whole car feels much newer and higher quality.

Not cheap if you're paying RRP though, at around £700 for the dampers and springs.

If you're just looking to replace the springs i'd go with Eibach or H&R.

If your dampers have done lots of miles they are probably waay past their best and replacing them at the same time will save you a bit of labour cost (or time) in the longrun. Not to mention that your standard dampers won't be designed to work correctly with shorter springs (you'd probably get away with it if you have the 'gmbh' dampers - what year is your car and did it come with the 18" RSTT wheel upgrade from new?).

JS, have you got tie bars?

Nope. Not yet.

For the £250 + fitting I could get another 2 sets of rear tyres if these wear unevenly...
Admittedly being able to adjust them properly would improve driving characteristics but hey, I can't afford everything at once!
The car looks nice and squat at the moment too.

Nope. Not yet.

For the £250 + fitting I could get another 2 sets of rear tyres if these wear unevenly...
Admittedly being able to adjust them properly would improve driving characteristics but hey, I can't afford everything at once!
The car looks nice and squat at the moment too.

lol yeah I feel the same

I had the same problem and have just fitted some Apex springs to mine using the OE shocks.

Ride height is pretty much perfect however the ride isnt the best but is definetly better than the original ride with a broken rear spring. Perfect for a budget fix but I will buying a decent set of dampers in the near future.