Nurburgring Trip

MattW86

Reaction score
Hey guys,

right i have a trip to the ring organised for this May (25th B'Day present to myself) and i need some advice on updates to undertake to the motor before i go

All recommendations will be greatly appreciated..

Matt

I havent done the ring but i did a track day and most important i think is making sure you have a service close to the time, change the oil particularly!
I also got new discs and pads changed the brake fluid, then made sure it was all nicely bedded in!
Other than that do some checks round the car make sure theres no obvious problems! Thats what i'd do, others may recommend other things!

I went in august last year. First thing I did was a major service and health check diagnostic, oil, filters, brakes. Most important thing I found was transmission and suspension, it takes a beating! I found my car felt tired and a little loose, due to bushes, joints, links and suspension, you will benefit so much if you've changes these. I saw no police at all on my way, but, have all documents and legal requirements, you never know how they will be with you. Tires have to have at least 4mm too.

Most important thing ever, don't get *****, its easy to get carried away when people in diesel Citroen cx's are overtaking you, seriously! Locals are just insane and so fun to watch!

Prawn will give you good advice, he's been a lot, and is pretty fast too!

Have fun dude

Im going 21april. Have a full service close to your trip and if the brakes are std or getting old change them. They will fade. Good Brakes and tyres are a must. Im taking a toolbox, spare wheel, spare coils, oil, jumpleads ect.
As said, dont take the **** on the track, some locals are crazy.
You can also do the GP circit for 20mins for 30euros too

I've been to the ring 11 times now and for me the most important component when I've driven the S3 is the brakes. You just don't realise how good or bad your brake setup is until you drive the ring! When I drove the ring on standard discs, pads, and fluid it was very difficult to get the speed down heading into corners, this resulted in braking while cornering and getting very out of shape on some tight bends.

The following year (last year) I got DS25000 brake pads, brembo grooved discs, braided brake lines, and motul racing brake fluid. The car felt like a completely different car and was solid the whole weekend.

Other major things are of course suspension but I've done around 10 laps on suspension that's covered 120k+ miles and it was ok.

Ensure your oil is good and you have no leaks as it will cost you a fortune if you're responsible for any oil spills.

Make sure you have a hi-vis jacket in case you have to stop on the ring for an accident or you break down.

Take a look on Ben lovejoys website, just google it. Loads of info on there.

Enjoy yourself and remember that you're doing "tourist laps" so you can go as fast or as slow as you like.

Last edited:
brakes brakes brakes! and then tyres.

Power isn't TOO important.

Will write more later when I'm home

I wish I could go! to much to spend of the car before it's ready!
0102076883000.jpg

yup brakes and tyres. Any doubts with anything, get it sorted. The track put massive stress on cars. Better be safe than sorry. Its not just crashing, but if you pop an oil line etc ( unlikely) you will be charged for clean up. Also possibly worth joining the ADAC, else rescue from the circuit it hellish expensive.

cheers for the advice guys,

Will have to start saving for the brakes then just on standard at the mo (anyone know some good sites price wise?) Definately going to take it easy on the 1st couple of laps dont want to wreck my baby.

Have a week off before i depart, so that will be spent doing all sorts of tweaks by the looks of things.

Thanks again lads

Matt

P.S hope to see some of you out there:rockwoot:

Im also trying to organise a trip to Pamplona for the Bull run, so bull run then ring, that would be epic

I fancy an audisport trip too.....

Um planning on going 4 times this year. Sept 2nd - 5th is confirmed at the moment, but two earlier trips I've not planned yet.
Would people want to go in may sometime? Or wait until July time?

I was goin in august, but might out it off till next year, too much to do to car and holidays etc. And I originally proposed the trip. I could be pursuaded though, my mate wants to go in his 200sx, there could potentially be a lot of cars if we were to agree on a date, but that's the hard part

I organised a trip last Easter, thought it up in jan with a mate, and we ended up going in a group of 29!

I propose a date in June / July chaps

Do it.

Well wouldn't go any earlier tbh. Easter was too early, was **** weather. Il be up for a trip anyway. Might be taking a van also so if anybody wants to hire storage space, enquire within :p

I think 2 trips should be arranged one for the end of may ish and sept -aug which seems like the general time most people want to go, i dont really want to wait till august.

I may not have an 8L, but I would love to join you guys in my B7 :)

August would be perfect for me. Just a thought, but maybe we could all meet up at Audis In The Park (6th August) and go from there.

If we can organise a trip in August/September, put my name down :D

Full dates are up for the year now westle!

Having looked at the dates, and the time I'm able to get off work, the weekend 6-8th may is making sense to me!

Easter weekend is too busy, royal wedding weekend isn't open on Saturday (apart from 1 hour 6-7)

Weekend after the track opens at 2 on Saturday, and all day Sunday.

Going to get the 12pm ferry out Friday (Dunkirk) and
Blast back for the 10pm ferry Sunday night :)

Anyone fancy it that weekend?

Folks,

If anyone is interested, Myself, Plunky, 16Klappe, and Bigman (you'll find him in the B7 A4 forum) are all heading out to the ring on May 6th, and returning on May 8th.

We are getting the 12pm norfolkline ferry from Dover to Dunkirk, arriving in France at 3pm, to be at Nurburg by 8pm.

Staying in the Burgstube (Burgstube Nürburg - Hotel at the Nürburgring - +49 170 8080256) Friday and saturday night.

Nice easy morning saturday after a few pints Friday night, the track opens at 14:00, and is open until 19:00.

Dinner in PistenKlause that night for the famous Steak on a stone, before heading back to the 'tube for a few more pints.

Sunday morning the track opens at 8am, so we're going to get down there nice and early before it gets too busy.

Spend the day lapping TF, then leave Nurburg at 5pm to head back for the 10pm Ferry.

10PM ferry will get into Dover at 11pm, so most of us can be home and in bed by the wee small hours :)

Anyone interested?

I am interested mate and will probably do 2 trips this year. It all depends on whether I can get my car ready in time. Want to get suspension done once i've sorted my current power loss issues.

Well, we decided on those dates due to the track opening really. Easter weekend is far too busy, Royal wedding weekend it's not open Saturday at all, then there arn't too many decent weekends again for a few months. not ones that I can go to anyway, and I need to get my fix as soon as possible!

I'll be just taking the one car this year, with me and my old man going in the track A3. Plunky obviously in his stage 2 ko3S A3, and Bigman in his TFSI S-line A4. Oh, and lets not forget 16Klappe in his 1.6 306 :p

If anyone fancies it, just book yourself into the ferry and e-mail martin about accomodation. If he gets fully booked, RingHaus is 300 yards away and has loads of space over that weekend too.

Hopefully, it should be a fairly quiet one at the track, and it's late enough in the year that the weather will be nice :)

-8 in early april last year was not funny!

Sounds like fun.
It's the 10 hours to Dover and the 10 hours back I don't fancy! That's what has always put me off making the pilgrimage.
I could get the ferry from Newcastle to Amsterdam I suppose, but that's not much better.

I'll have to make do with the roads of the Highlands!

Hmmmm..... very tempted. Just need to see if I can get my car ready for it first (A4 2.0TFSI). That would mean some coilovers, remap, and a service. If I can get that done, then count me in.

What is a rough estimate of the cost of doing the trip? (fuel, accomidation, ferry, and track fees)

Haha!

You're the soft ones... tiny wee barriers and no medical teams on the roads i'll be using!

DSC04698.jpg

Only joking of course, i'd love a trip to the 'Ring.