Chris NottSky Insurance
    Reverse Gear

Status

My audi died a horrible death help appriciated

Right i've been scanning on this forum for a while now and found alot of usefull tips ect.

Now my S3 was working perfectly fine over the weekend, i last used it on monday morning....i moved it from one parking space to the other because the rear bumper was getting sprayed and im ill so i cant drive or do much, went to start it today, Turn ignition on, all the usuall checks it goes through it does, the lights and everything comes up, fuel pump runs ...except the dashboard display doesnt come up aka clocks and fuel trip meter ect... cranks over fine and actually starts for a second and then just cuts out, im baffled! i've checked the fuel pump Fuse and a few others that are on the drivers end of the dashboard
    Not too sure what it could be?

Has anyone had any simular expiriences? or know of common problems that relate?
    Cheers
    Jake

2. # ADS
    ADS

"Stick a V8 in it!"

Status
    The starting and cutting out is normal. The key is the fact the dashboard is off.

The dashboard contains the engine immobiliser, so if its not working the engine wont start.

I'd be looking for a fuse for the instrument cluster itself!

2000 A4 1.8T Sport Quattro Avant, Berry Pearl
    2000 A4 1.8T Sport Quattro Saloon, Black-ish
    1997 S4 - PPC £999 Challenge Track Car Build
    TD5 Land Rover Defender build

Reverse Gear

Status
    Cheers for your help, i dont get how you mean starting and cuttin out is normal? lol
    I've done a check of nearly all the fuses that could relate to dashboard ect, they seem to be all working fine, is it possible it would actually be located behind the instrument panel?

1st Gear

Status
    It starts fine because everything engine related is probably working fine, however the immobiliser then cuts the engine out. The dead dash is the smoking gun here.

3rd Gear

Status
    if i remember rightly there ARE one or two fuses behind the dials, worth a check!

Reverse Gear

Status
    So looking for fuses and to try get it plugged in to find any faults basically, with it unable to be driven thats gonna be hard

wouldnt the whole dash not work if fuses/immob died?
    Last edited by jakeeee; 9th February 2011 at 17:27. Reason: added info

Photographic Moderator

Status

My Social Networking

Follow Broken Byzan On Twitter Add Broken Byzan on Facebook Add Broken Byzan on Google+ Visit Broken Byzan's Youtube Channel
    Fuses ontop of the battery?

And what do you mean by nearly all the fuses?

1st Gear

Status
    What's not working on the dash? Just the DIS and digital bits? Do the dials still work and the warning lights? If they do does the key symbol go out or is it flashing? Fuses 11 and 15 are for the dash, both 5amp.

Reverse Gear

Status
    The dials do not move on the dash/work, and the Fuel/trip/milage/clock do not work, all the symbols come up and then go out, minus the battery and engine untill you would turn it on

Ive checked all of the fuses now and there all in tact! im baffled

Reverse Gear

Status
    Another strange thing is the dashboard doesnt light up when i put the lights on...

5th Gear

Status
    Id check the fuses first. Pop off the cover on the right end plate of the dash. open the drivers door and pop off the end of the dash. Check all the fuses are ok, then check the ones on the battery. If all are ok then id take out the clocks and pull off the 3 connectors at the back of the display and make sure there fitted back correctly. If that doesnt fix your problem then it could be your clocks are faulty and like otheres have said, its making your immobilizer kick in.
    Audi A3 1.8 Turbo, Wietec Ultra GT 40mm kit, 3" Full Custom Stainless Steel Exhaust, Custom Code stage 1 remap, 17" RS4 Alloys, Whiteline ARB

Reverse Gear

Status
    I checked the fuses with a tester, managed to get a diagnostics on it tonight, but the battery is flat, gonna have to wait for the weekend now