TomTom Go Mount

mramage

Reaction score

Got a TomTom Go for Christmas. It's great, except that I can't get it mounted anywhere that it'll stick.

The supplied sucker mount won't entertain the bottom right of the windscreen. The center kinda works for about 40 mins at most before it falls off.

I read that a few folk had it mounted at the bottom right ok, but mine just won't. Faulty mount?

Also interested in any other mounting positions (keep it clean folks!) they've used, such as the Brodit vent mount etc.

Ultimately I want it to be mostly left in the car, only removing the odd time. For now it's a real pain.

Thoughts?

[ QUOTE ]
Mark R said:

Got a TomTom Go for Christmas. It's great, except that I can't get it mounted anywhere that it'll stick.

The supplied sucker mount won't entertain the bottom right of the windscreen. The center kinda works for about 40 mins at most before it falls off.

I read that a few folk had it mounted at the bottom right ok, but mine just won't. Faulty mount?

Also interested in any other mounting positions (keep it clean folks!) they've used, such as the Brodit vent mount etc.

Ultimately I want it to be mostly left in the car, only removing the odd time. For now it's a real pain.

Thoughts?

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought the std mounts were ok...is the screen clean? Clean that area with some alcohol cleaner then try again - if it still wont stick then maybe it is faulty.

HTH
Adam

To answer what I can:

M6 Toll, yep, it's there. You can also download all the types of entry and exit points as Points of Interest from here : http://www.pocketgps.co.uk/tomtompoi.php Shed load of other things there as well including full post-code coverage.

400 notes: Well, it was a pressie from my Wife. I'm happy /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Clamp: Yep, clamp on, but it won't stick at all. Trying Anand's idea and have it stuck to a window at home just now! I think the A3/S3 windscreen is quite curved at the ends where the A4 is quite flat.

khufu: Never tried, but could be interesting!

The speed camera database is pretty good, since you can categorise them and see easily if they are on the same road or not (should you go based purely on proximity and not being on the same road).

Anand, I hope it's not to early to declare it a full success, but this morning it did stick to the right hand side of the windscreen and made it all the way to work. It wouldn't stick at all before. The real test is whether it's still stuck there when I leave tonight. Before I stuck it on a smooth surface, I did put the sucker in very hot water for a minute to soften it up.

Re Ipaq: Yes, I thought about that, but I'd heard of problems with having to reset etc. They may have been a bit over-exagerated though.

Thanks for the tip!

p.s. Monty, I gave the mount area a clean before, it didn't seem to be the main problem, but I gave it another clean to make sure /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I have the Go and never had any problems fitting it to any part of the windscreen. The trouble comes when trying to get the damn thing off!!

"Thanks for the tip!"

Glad its working!... fingers crossed.

I only stummbled apon the soloution by accident. I recieved the mount one morning and was messing about in my house and sticking it everywhere and testing the sucking force, took it out to my car and great it stuck first time.

Few days later, when i was putting the wires in the car i took the mount off and left it off for a few hours. I came to put it back on and the damn thing wouldn't stick. I was doing my nut!!
So i stuck it to the center of the windscreen (where it would stick) and thought i'd leave the ipaw there from now on. The following morning i thought i'd have another go and took it off and it stuck first time to the right side of the screen. Took me a while to figure out why.

"I have the Go and never had any problems fitting it to any part of the windscreen. The trouble comes when trying to get the damn thing off!!"

I think it becomes easier when the cup becomes more plyable over time and use. Like mentioned earlier the A3 has a slightly curved windscreen. I've tried a few third paty mounts and have had no luck with them at all. The tomtom one is the only one that eventually stuck

Hi have got a Tom Tom Go too, never any probs with the mount but is an a4 i have, i have mounted it to the right of the rearview mirror, good signal and does not obstruct view, plus i am left handed, ideal position.

Watch out as some versions sold have the M6 toll and some don't, depending on the mapping version in place at the time of manufacture. Have a look in the TomTom Go forum at pocketgps.co.uk for more details, which is generally something like "maps v315 vs v390". On some units the later maps actually come on the CD and you can update the version yourself. I was very luck to get one with the latest maps already on the SD card. Having said that, apart from the M6 toll the level of changes between these versions is unconfirmed.

I had problems sticking it on the screen and stuck it on behind the steering wheel and then kind of "slid" it over to the bottom right hand side and then pushed the plunger down. Been there for a few weeks now OK.

Toby.

Help me, I have a new roadangel but wouldn't mind these cameras installing on my tom tom go. How do you do it? I got all the necessary files and dragged them into the tomtom but it doesn't seem to work. can anyone write me/find me an idiot's guide?

cheers, yes mine doesn't have that; I bought the "Go" when it first came out, I'll get it sorted.