JMB RetrofitsEM Tuning
Results 1 to 25 of 25

Thread: PSI Tuning

  1. #1
    Sandip's Avatar
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Greater Manchester
    Posts
    2,379

    PSI Tuning

    I thought i'd post my experience of a VAG tuner based in Stoke on Trent

    As some of you will know, my turbo had a slight issues late last year after my cylinder head was replaced, possibly due to 5ltrs of oil being used when it was serviced. Anyway mistakes happen and i don't have any hard feeling towards the person who did it.

    After looking at all the options i could have gone for i decided to go for a new Borg Warner KKK K04, after Kev achieving 293bhp out of his K04 i would be more than happy with anything near that!

    I didn't want to remove the head again until i want to do the rods so i contacted a few places to ask how they would replace the turbo and i chose PSI Tuning, Pete at PSI Tuning assured me that the turbo will be replaced without removing the head and to my surprise at the price of 140+vat.

    The car was booked in for today and i was greeted by Andy on arrival (09:30). I also bought a Neuspeed 180f thermostat from Awesome GTI for them to fit. I was offered many hot drinks as i sat in he waiting room! The car was completed at 17:00 and it was thoroughly checked before the keys were handed over to me.

    People have good and bad experiences, my experience of PSI Tuning from start to finish has been positive, both Pete and Andy were extremely helpful with any question i had for them and i would recommend them to anyone.

    PSI Tuning


    Just incase your wondering my turbo wasn't in good shape, there were cracks in a few places on the hotside and there was slight back/forward play. The car now feels 'lighter' and eager to move! So i'm happy

    Pics of the turbo, the white stuff is where it's been leaking from the cracks



    You can just see the crack in the middle


    Baby and OAP
    3.2 V6 with Custom Code VVT Attack Software


  2. # ADS
    ADS
    Join Date
    Always
    Location
    Global
    Posts
    Many
     
  3. #2
    From Show... to GO

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Stafford
    Posts
    436
    How much was your turbo?

    I didnt have such a good experience with them, bit mistakes happen, and i've heard good feedback like yours

  4. #3
    Sandip's Avatar
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Greater Manchester
    Posts
    2,379
    Quote Originally Posted by coyle View Post
    How much was your turbo?

    I didnt have such a good experience with them, bit mistakes happen, and i've heard good feedback like yours
    598+VAT, i think they are good at what they do but they struggle to get round to everyone. They can be a lot better if they became more organised and structured.
    3.2 V6 with Custom Code VVT Attack Software


  5. #4
    From Show... to GO

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Stafford
    Posts
    436
    Quote Originally Posted by sandip View Post
    598+VAT, i think they are good at what they do but they struggle to get round to everyone. They can be a lot better if they became more organised and structured.
    they had my car for an hour, i got it back with 4 big scrapes on the rear bumper, which i knew weren't there as i had literally washed it 20mins before i went to them, they denied all knowledge, but offered me a cheap remap (which to me admits blame or they wouldnt have offered me anything)

  6. #5
    Sandip's Avatar
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Greater Manchester
    Posts
    2,379
    Quote Originally Posted by coyle View Post
    they had my car for an hour, i got it back with 4 big scrapes on the rear bumper, which i knew weren't there as i had literally washed it 20mins before i went to them, they denied all knowledge, but offered me a cheap remap (which to me admits blame or they wouldnt have offered me anything)
    Sorry to hear that bud, i'll be checking my car in the daylight tomorrow lol
    3.2 V6 with Custom Code VVT Attack Software


  7. #6
    From Show... to GO

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Stafford
    Posts
    436
    Quote Originally Posted by sandip View Post
    Sorry to hear that bud, i'll be checking my car in the daylight tomorrow lol
    i went to them coz it was an emergency, i broke down 0.3miles from there unit, so called them and told them i was in the RAC so id get my car brought round.

    They were like "dont be silly we will come and pick you up within 2mins" sure enough they came round, picked me up and sorted my problem.
    but charged me 50 to pick me up lol, i kicked off and told them the RAC were coming to get me, but they said "we didnt say we were doing it for free"

    cheers lads haha

  8. #7
    Sandip's Avatar
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Greater Manchester
    Posts
    2,379
    Quote Originally Posted by coyle View Post
    i went to them coz it was an emergency, i broke down 0.3miles from there unit, so called them and told them i was in the RAC so id get my car brought round.

    They were like "dont be silly we will come and pick you up within 2mins" sure enough they came round, picked me up and sorted my problem.
    but charged me 50 to pick me up lol, i kicked off and told them the RAC were coming to get me, but they said "we didnt say we were doing it for free"

    cheers lads haha
    Nice lol I was in contact with them for a few weeks before i booked mine in and went and saw them a couple of times before just to get an idea of what they are like. Made everything concrete through email so we both knew what was happening and what i was expecting

    I tend to do that with everything these days lol
    3.2 V6 with Custom Code VVT Attack Software


  9. #8
    superkarl's Avatar
    MAN OF STEEL

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Liverpool/Southport. N west
    Posts
    7,533
    Quote Originally Posted by sandip View Post
    Nice lol I was in contact with them for a few weeks before i booked mine in and went and saw them a couple of times before just to get an idea of what they are like. Made everything concrete through email so we both knew what was happening and what i was expecting

    I tend to do that with everything these days lol
    best way to do things when we love our cars so much.
    is that who makes the ko4, borg warner?
    seems very cheap labour to say the least, getting the turbo off and on is no easy or rather quick task. they must be good at it.

  10. #9
    Sandip's Avatar
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Greater Manchester
    Posts
    2,379
    Quote Originally Posted by superkarl View Post
    best way to do things when we love our cars so much.
    is that who makes the ko4, borg warner?
    seems very cheap labour to say the least, getting the turbo off and on is no easy or rather quick task. they must be good at it.
    I think it's Borg Warner lol

    To be fair it took them most of the day Karl and they did say 'it's a bit of a pain' lol But they've done it and my cars feels a lot better now. I'll be doing some logs at some point
    3.2 V6 with Custom Code VVT Attack Software


  11. #10
    superkarl's Avatar
    MAN OF STEEL

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Liverpool/Southport. N west
    Posts
    7,533
    i think a guy on here last week did one in 6 hours. you got a very cheap hourly rate lol.
    excellent its running well anyway, how tired was the old one, what symptoms? (so i know what to expect haha)

  12. #11
    Sandip's Avatar
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Greater Manchester
    Posts
    2,379
    It was the cracks that were bothering me, i saw them when the head was done lol

    One thing i've noticed is my car sounds more steady and with the old turbo it felt like i had heat soak all the time. Less induction noise and more go now
    3.2 V6 with Custom Code VVT Attack Software


  13. #12
    S3 Nattie's Avatar
    Quattro ist für sissies

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Cardiff
    Posts
    1,600
    Nice turbo dude, think Borg Warner are the largest turbo manufacturers in the world right now, do massive turbos too lol.

    Do you know the spec of your turbo or is it the same as the OEM one, anything different.
    For sale

    3" Downpipe and de cat (will be going on ebay soon)
    Autogauge boost gauge
    Chrome Audi Number plate surrounds

    PM for info.

  14. #13
    s3_kev's Avatar
    Stage2'd!!!!!!

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    1,984
    glad its all sorted for you now buddy

  15. #14
    s3dave's Avatar
    TFSI Hybrid

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    west yorks
    Posts
    10,121
    Well done sandip all the best with it....

  16. #15
    Sandip's Avatar
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Greater Manchester
    Posts
    2,379
    Quote Originally Posted by S3 Nattie View Post
    Nice turbo dude, think Borg Warner are the largest turbo manufacturers in the world right now, do massive turbos too lol.

    Do you know the spec of your turbo or is it the same as the OEM one, anything different.
    Not sure, it did look slightly different to the one that came off. Whether it is better or not, who knows lol

    I'll be doing logs and getting it dyno'd once i get the 3"tip. I'll try getting a before and after

    Will a cracked head make a big difference to g/s readings?
    3.2 V6 with Custom Code VVT Attack Software


  17. #16
    finesse's Avatar
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    London / Anglia
    Posts
    2,814
    well done sandip,
    was the Turbo on exchange or beyond repair?

  18. #17
    Sandip's Avatar
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Greater Manchester
    Posts
    2,379
    Quote Originally Posted by finesse View Post
    well done sandip,
    was the Turbo on exchange or beyond repair?
    Exchange John, very little up and down movement in the old turbo but there was a little in and out movement. The thermostat is a good idea though, when i'm stood in traffic now my temp stay at around 82-84oC
    3.2 V6 with Custom Code VVT Attack Software


  19. #18
    RIP S3dave

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    nr Glos
    Posts
    7,166
    bet they wont do another for that price
    bargain there sandip
    **http://www.facebook.com/Badger5Ltd**

    NEW NEW NEW eShop now LIVE>
    www.badger5.biz

    Badger 5 Ltd, Queen Annes Gate, Oldends Lane, Stonehouse, Glos, GL10 2DG


    http://www.badger5.co.uk, Tel:01453822880
    bill@badger5.co.uk
    **NEW** Badger5 Section CLICK here>> http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/213-badger-5/

  20. #19
    Sandip's Avatar
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Greater Manchester
    Posts
    2,379
    Quote Originally Posted by badger5 View Post
    bet they wont do another for that price
    bargain there sandip
    I think they will Bill Bill, is the Borg Warner K04 basically a standard turbo or are there any differences?

    Next thing on my shopping list is your 3"TIP, got a week off end of Feb so i'll probably be making a trip down to purchase and fit it I'll bring a small selection of tools lol
    3.2 V6 with Custom Code VVT Attack Software


  21. #20
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    South Cheshire
    Posts
    157
    That is a poor poor show! Sorry to hear that, not the best service really

  22. #21
    Sandip's Avatar
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Greater Manchester
    Posts
    2,379
    Quote Originally Posted by Poke13 View Post
    That is a poor poor show! Sorry to hear that, not the best service really
    Eh?

    I had good service lol Have you had poor service off them Poke
    3.2 V6 with Custom Code VVT Attack Software


  23. #22
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    South Cheshire
    Posts
    157
    Quote Originally Posted by coyle View Post
    i went to them coz it was an emergency, i broke down 0.3miles from there unit, so called them and told them i was in the RAC so id get my car brought round.

    They were like "dont be silly we will come and pick you up within 2mins" sure enough they came round, picked me up and sorted my problem.
    but charged me 50 to pick me up lol, i kicked off and told them the RAC were coming to get me, but they said "we didnt say we were doing it for free"

    cheers lads haha
    No sorry that was supposed to be a post with quote not sure why it didn't work! The quote is attached to this message in reference to coyle's experience.

    The experience you had sounds good, just gets to me when you hear of stuff like coyle's experience!
    Last edited by Poke13; 8th February 2011 at 17:12.

  24. #23
    shanejess
    Guest
    pleased for you sandip.

  25. #24
    From Show... to GO

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Stafford
    Posts
    436
    Quote Originally Posted by Poke13 View Post
    No sorry that was supposed to be a post with quote not sure why it didn't work! The quote is attached to this message in reference to coyle's experience.

    The experience you had sounds good, just gets to me when you hear of stuff like coyle's experience!

    i know mate, ive heard a couple of other bad reviews since then aswell.
    they offered me a remap for 250, but i said no, i dont trust them with the car now

  26. #25
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    South Cheshire
    Posts
    157
    Quote Originally Posted by coyle View Post
    i know mate, ive heard a couple of other bad reviews since then aswell.
    they offered me a remap for 250, but i said no, i dont trust them with the car now
    Completely fair enough! I'm not sure I could ever trust any place with my car in that way but definately not after that! Did you get any work done there in the end? To get it on the road again.

 

 

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO

Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO