gearbox oil

S3featesV9

Reaction score
just about to go and buy gearbox oil for the s3, anybody know how much it takes to fill from bone dry, inlcuding transfer box? id imagine about 3ltr?

and im right in thinking 75w90?

Cheers

2.6 litres mate and yes its 75w90, i replaced mine with Motul Gear 300 and would defo recomend it made a good improvement to gearbox feel.

I thought it was just over 3litres if you drained the transfer box also.

I drained both and still have oil left in my third 1 litre bottle after filling it back up mate, so defo not over 3 litres.

Thanks for that. So you just drained both and filled both through the one hole on the side of the gearbox. Audi do say it holds 2.6ltrs but dont know if that includes the transfer box

I heard you needed to drain them both them fill till the fluid starts coming back out of the filler hole. Drive a bit, then fill even more because the fluid doesnt circulate to the transfer box without the wheels moving, not sure if its correct but got it from someone on here. Would be much easier if I can just drain both and fill and thats that.

i would not mind doing mine where can i get all part from and how much rufly for the lot to do the job

Thanks for that. So you just drained both and filled both through the one hole on the side of the gearbox. Audi do say it holds 2.6ltrs but dont know if that includes the transfer box

I heard you needed to drain them both them fill till the fluid starts coming back out of the filler hole. Drive a bit, then fill even more because the fluid doesnt circulate to the transfer box without the wheels moving, not sure if its correct but got it from someone on here. Would be much easier if I can just drain both and fill and thats that.

Yes mate drain both, one drain plug on gearbox and one on transfer box, then fill up till fluid starts to come back out of filler hole(make sure car is level). Make sure you undo the fill plug first before draining(that way if its seized in your not stuck with a car with no gearbox oil). The gearbox itself takes 2.3l and the transfer box takes 0.3l. The gears inside the box transfer the oil to the transfer box, You need to refil the gearbox then the gear needs rotating to fill the transfer box, i did mine with clutch change so had car up on four axle stands so was able to put it in gear and drive it with wheels off the floor for a few minutes then top it up to ensure transfer box was full.

good help steve, may do mine this week, ive only had the car a few months, but am slowly changing everything i can :)

Searched for this thread. I changed my gearbox oil a while ago. I was advised that Part-Synthetic was fine.

Halfords | Castrol Driveline Syntrax Universal 1L

I have seen the above profuct and after seeing how much better the car felt with Castrol 5w30 in the engine, is this Castrol Driveline any good?

And just to be sure, the FWD obviously don;t havea transfer box (well I would assume lol); what amount of oil does the FWD need?

Cheers!