quicker than a type r???

mel_man

Reaction score
just wondering about everyone's experieces racing type r's. my mates have got all 3 shapes of civic type r between them and the only one i think is quicker than my standard 225 s3 is the ek9!
opinions?

I got an ek9 and i think it is by far the best, it is the quickest and personally i think it looks the best. I like the interior of the new shape type r but still prefer mine

yea mate i agree! i had a ek vti and it was amazing fun!!
the ek's surely the quickest civic type r but do you reckon its quicker than the s3?

Nah, i would assume the S3 is quicker, it surely states that on paper, and i would prefer an s3 over the ek9 but i have never had the S3 or drove one yet, i just recently bourght a 2.0 tdi a3. Just couldn't run the EK9 no more, costs too much on juice so that stays parked up in garage now and the a3 is my everyday car

you need a stage 1 map to make your S3 beat any of those 'in gear' IMO.....

Ek9 is quicker to about 70mph than an Ep3 but from then onwards the Ek9 has no hope (asuming were talking stock motors)

I had an Ek3 with a JDM B16a swap running Spoon management & cams etc etc with about 220hp and after about 80mph my mates Ep3 running similar power just left me.

But off the lights you can get S3's off like a shot with no wheel slip and you'll get a good edge over pretty much most stock fwd motors.

The same mate has a supercharged Dc5 now running a smidge over 300hp and for the first 50 yards i'll be infront.

Depends how you're racing and the spec of the cars tbh, if it was a BAM engined S3 against a K20a2 CTR from a stand still i'd put my money on the S3, however a rolling start i'm almost certain the CTR would see it off..

you need a stage 1 map to make your S3 beat any of those 'in gear' IMO.....

Not really, ingear, the S3 is quicker with it's superior torque, TypeR's only come alive on cam when the VTEC kicks in, and they have short gearing to make use of the VTEC again for the next ratio when you change up at max revs. You need to know what you are doing to drive VTEC's quick, where as the S3 can be driven quickly as soon as you sit in it! :racer:

EK9 is a true TypeR, EP3 and FN2's are just TypeR in name, the GTI of Honda's!

Reactions: blackwiddow
Ive had a blast with a EP3 and FN2 Type R. I had the EP3 everywhere but was level with a FN2 from 20mph to xxx mph in a standard mapS3 .

Catch a vtec out of its zone and you will leave one for dead but they go very well with the right driver who nows how to drive a vtec properly.

Not really, ingear, the S3 is quicker with it's superior torque, TypeR's only come alive on cam when the VTEC kicks in, and they have short gearing to make use of the VTEC again for the next ratio when you change up at max revs. You need to know what you are doing to drive VTEC's quick, where as the S3 can be driven quickly as soon as you sit in it! :racer:

Totaly agree there....

When my s3 was stock i beat an fn2 from the line, he passed me in 6th gear due to plenty of boost leaks lol. I feel the ep3 and ek9 are genuine type r's though, i owned an EG lsvtec and ran a 14.2 with it

I had a Stock EP3 Type R that when I took to the 1/4 mile beat 3 differant EK9s with intake and exhaust mods, I then got my stock 8l S3 210 which did the 1/4 0.3 seconds faster than the EP3. It would be a differant storry on a track or B road but the S3 has a good enough launch to deal with pesky Hondas on the 1/4 mile.

Ewan.

never raced a civic in my 1.8t quattro used to race alot of them when had my 106 gti with cams and stripped out found them easier to beat than 182 clio's of the mark against the gti there was no contest and by the time the vtec kicked in was already 4-5 cars lengths ahead.

before i got my quattro i had a dabble at racing my m8 who has a 1.8t with stage 1 map and few other bolt on's running about 210bhp and got my *** wooped by him so from this i would say a s3 should kill a civic all day long

i often beat my mates type r in my a3. So s3 should beat it also. standard being about the same power (power to weight ratio)

he has not the latest one but the one before on a 04 plate. not clued up on civic model numbers

lmao give it till there is over 2 pages worth then he got a lot to rant on about

I had a pre-facelift breadvan Type-R and it was the most disappointing car i have owned.

Rag the t1ts off of it and its ok, still not fast. Trouble is to have that fun you have to be on the limit the whole time.

99% of the time you are not on the limit......so its a torque-less 2.0 with no luxury.

Agree 100%

Been saying that for years.

The EK9 was never good in a straight line/on the strip. Even with the basic bolt on mods on EK9.net people are getting low 15s. Which i was getting in my EK4 and an EK9 with more mods should be getting quicker times than that being lighter, having LSD and probably better tyres (ones i was using were hugely gash!)

So in theory an S3/tuned A3 should beat them all day long. Its when it gets to the twisty stuff then you`ll probably see the 9 gain a decent ground over S3/A3's

Cant comment about a standard S3 but i've had run ins with the new FN2's and a couple of EP3's in my mapped S3 and have never had an issue, been pretty easy actually...

as said in a previous thread, i had a play with the latest incarnation on two strips of road and he equalled me in my stage 1 and his had the 19" upgraded alloys!! i just assumed that he must have been one of the 1% who knew how to drive the damned things...every other one ive beaten (not massively) but nevertheless

Although the latest FN2 was in the wet so not really a fair fight, we slowed and pratically stopped for a car to turn off when be both went for it, I wasnt far from rear ending him in second as he was probably struggling for traction, even in 3rd I was having to hold of the throttle a tad.

I thought the FN2 was the slowest of the bunch, slower than the EP3 anyway, heavy and with 1bhp extra.

My A3 TQS on a stage 2 remap used to beat my mates 04 plate type R no problem!
off the lights and rolling start

It is the slowest of the lot. Having driven one round MK it was boring. No thrill or excitement compared to my EK4 at the time.

Most of the time because EP3`s are so cheap these days most people that buy one dont know how to drive them properly they just buy one because its a "Type R", its quick for not a huge amount of money also like telling people they have a Civic Type R when asked what they drive. They dont know how to keep it in the power..changing gear too slow so it drops out of tec, exiting from corners/roundabouts out of tec. They just know you have to rev it hard to go fast which makes beating them usually fairly simple....unless you`re in a blatently slower car to start with lol

IMO i'd say an S3 should be fine on the straights, a mapped one i would reckon would be convincingly quicker.
In the corners though the type R's are quick!
However an S3 with sorted handling would put up a good fight i reckon, especially with 4wd traction out of the corners and wider powerband!

I raced a ep3 type r a few weeks back and hammered it, form 40mph upto over a ton when i backed off. The torque of the S3 just killed the civic.

suppose a lot to consider, torque. gradients, outside temps etc etc.... i know i was giving mine some when i couldnt beat that new one

I was interested in getting a ep3 not so long back, put mine on pistonheads to swap and had a quiet a bit of interest. Went to look at a ep3 anniversary edition looked very nice, took it for a test drive and did not like it. When the mrs's and me got back in ours she said it felt "slow" compared to the S3 (say no more the mrs's even thought it was slow)

Oh and my brother owns a fn2 and mine wipes its a**e everytime. My mate owns a Accord Type R that does shift mine beats it top end but in the twistes he would wipe my a**e

Had an EP3 Civic Type R before my amk s3, it had aftermarket intake system and blueflame exhaust. But i must admit it takes a while to learn how to use the power properly and if you get it right its no slouch, in my opinion i would say the type r has a slight edge on a tottaly standard s3 if driven corectly.

If you can change quicker then my nan, you can surely beat all Civic's.

My old JRSC EP3 Type R was quicker than my stage 2+ S3 above 70-80 but trying to put the power down in 1st 2nd 3rd in anything but perfect conditions was a nightmare. Real world the S3 is way better, this is the first 4wd car i have owned, and it would be hard to go back to RWD or FWD now.

I read the other day that the Audi A1 1.4 TFSI Petrol has a supercharger and a turbo charger and gets from 0-60 in 6.9s with a combined book mpg of 38 mpg, i was quite impressed

That is correct.

There is going to be an RS1 in the future with predicted 230-250bhp.

Bet that wont do 38mpg.

I read the other day that the Audi A1 1.4 TFSI Petrol has a supercharger and a turbo charger and gets from 0-60 in 6.9s with a combined book mpg of 38 mpg, i was quite impressed

and it can be mapped to 200bhp!!

I'll go one better and tell you that a mapped k04 1.8t will have an S2000 also.

Ek9 is quicker to about 70mph than an Ep3 but from then onwards the Ek9 has no hope (asuming were talking stock motors)

I had an Ek3 with a JDM B16a swap running Spoon management & cams etc etc with about 220hp and after about 80mph my mates Ep3 running similar power just left me.

But off the lights you can get S3's off like a shot with no wheel slip and you'll get a good edge over pretty much most stock fwd motors.

The same mate has a supercharged Dc5 now running a smidge over 300hp and for the first 50 yards i'll be infront.

Depends how you're racing and the spec of the cars tbh, if it was a BAM engined S3 against a K20a2 CTR from a stand still i'd put my money on the S3, however a rolling start i'm almost certain the CTR would see it off..

Yeah think you are right there! CTR's with K20 from rolling would pull away a little but then S3 would start to gain. Think thats the way it goes lower speeds high revs and hp gets it and at higher speed torque gets it (althought nearly all the time the S3 has an edge with 4wd :s3addict: :racer: :rock:)

The Vw golf has been using that set up for a while now...

Some figures:

Mk1 EK9 182hp 1050kg 173bhp/ton
Mk2 EP3 197hp 1203kg 164bhp/ton
Mk3 FN1 198hp 1267kg 156bhp/ton

S3 8L 225hp 1496kg 150bhp/ton

So both driven properly the Civic is the faster car, but obviously the S3 will have the traction off the line, and "in-gear" lazy-style accelleration will probably see the S3 come out ahead due to its much wider power band.