Steering Ratio - Anybody Modded?

IanL-RS3

Reaction score
Does anybody else find the steering on the s3 not as sharp/lowly geared as would be nice?
What i mean is that i find i have to turn the wheel way past 180degrees for most of the corners i take on the way to work. I also find it a little vague in a straight line, so would be nice to have it geared so that lock to lock was fewer turns.
I havent driven many other cars of this ilk and definitely not with the same scutiny of my S3, so am i'm expecting too much/being too picky/being a div? (all 3) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Ta Ian

I too noticed this on my A3 TQs.

You have to turn the wheel more than you would expect, compared to other cars of this caliber Ive driven.

Glad its not just me!!
So there are two of us /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
And i notice i wrote 180degrees when i meant more like 100degrees - but the feeling is still the same.
Maybe its my hyper-sensitivity from playing GT2 for years with the joypad /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Ian Logendra said:
I also find it a little vague in a straight line,

[/ QUOTE ]
doesn't that depend on tyre-type-sizes and suspension set-up.

Agreed upon the ratio, should be less.

[ QUOTE ]
S3-Leon said:
doesn't that depend on tyre-type-sizes and suspension set-up.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup, absolutely...

You can add 'feel' by adding a bit of toe out at the front...this will make the steering livlier...I perfer the turn in with toe out.

Tyres too wide will kill turn in...they numb it.

A big of negative camber will also aid turn in as well as outright grip...the car will respond better, more quickly and have better loaded grip.

I agree that the steering is pretty numb as standard...but you can improve it immensely by playing around...and with the geometry set up aggressively I never felt that the steering rack ratio required changing.