Sooooo confused. (stereo question...)

Drysdale

Reaction score
Right.

I've read probably every post on here relating to audi stereos etc, but still can't find what I'm looking for!!

Basically, I've got a 1997 A3 1.6 (base, no SE or sport). Could anyone tell me what kind of stereo this has? It is just a radio/cassette. I'm looking to replace it with an AFTERMARKET or Audi cd unit. Could anyone please, (for the love of god...lol), tell me A) What the standard radio/cassette stereo is in the 1997 A3 1.6 (whether its single or double din etc) and B) How can I replace it with a single aftermarket cd unit or audi unit? I only sees advice for the symphony/concert systems.

Please!!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

basicly it doesnt matter what stereo it is..

to know if its single or double din

if its the height of your little finger.. then its a single if its more then its a double..

if you want to replace with an aftermarket.. you need a facia which will make an aftermarket fit in your car. also you will need a lead that then plus into your standard ISO blocks and then into the back of your new head unit..

of if you are still struggling then go down to halfords... they will help you... but dont buy anything from there withouht checking on the net at other suppliers.. as you will find that halfords is alot more expensive than most..

it will be a standard concert - lots of square buttons and a round rotory knob in the middle. It will be (like all prefacelift A3/S3) be a single din stereo. Replacing it is a simple affair. You will need some Audi 'keys' to remove the existing one, an adaptor loom to go between the new stereo and the cars loom as the rear speakers run off of an amp. You will also need two blanking plates to go either side of the stereo as they are all more narrower than the factor fit.

Thanks! Makes sense now. Already bought the din adaptor plates and looking into a headunit. Anywhere I can buy adaptor loom?

[ QUOTE ]
Drysdale said:
Thanks! Makes sense now. Already bought the din adaptor plates and looking into a headunit. Anywhere I can buy adaptor loom?

[/ QUOTE ]

They come with an aftermarket Headunit! Or if you need a special model specific one you can get/order the autoleads ones through halfords etc £10-£20

Hi,

I have a 2001 and changed the head unit over. I brought the bits I needed from Ebay luckily so was a lot cheaper, however a company called Edworthys are really helpful.

Try this link, although they do seem to be expensive, it will at least give you an idea of what you need.

http://www.edworthys.co.uk/prodlist.asp?catID=133&product_category=Audi

I cheated with mine and went to a Car Audio shop and got them to pull the stereo out as I was in danger of ripping the dash off as it is a pain to do without the keys. It only took them a minute to pull it out and the rest is easy as it all plugs in. There are 2 rca plugs for the sub and rear speakers that need to go into your new HU and the rest is straightforward. Blue is the remote if you want to put another amp in.
I have another amp and it was a bit of a pig to feed the other RCA leads in so do it all at once and you will only have one stressfull afternoon!

Good luck, it will be worth it.

Rob

Hmm, does seem a bit expensive at £59.99. Bought one anyway with a Sony MP3 headunit, audi keys and fascia adaptor plates. Should be sorted /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif. If the headunit comes with loom I'll just return the 59.99 one. Never really changed a headunit before...will see how it goes next week. (Thought I'd pass on Edworthy's nationwide fitting service and have a go myself).

[ QUOTE ]
rob.a3.quattro.sport said:
I managed to get a frame that is all one piece, not just 2 little connectors. I paid £1.99p on Ebay!!! It did cost £3 to ship it though.

[/ QUOTE ]

The frame is the correct fitment for the facelift A3, the two little pieces are for pre-facelift. Autoleads themselves have (maybe corrected now) it listed incorrectly which is why I suspect so many people find that the 2 piece kit doesn't fit facelift cars well.

...no excuse as to why their speaker adapters dont ****** fit though /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cry.gif

Adam

The 2 piece kit doesn't fit any car, get them from Audi dealer if you want to skip the chiselling and sculpting part of the Autoleads fitment.
They're the same price from Audi.