Rear pads and discs/ sticky caliper/ handbrake cable.

Y83OLK

Hulk Smash!
Reaction score
Hi all.
Just finished changing the rear pads and discs on my 2001 s3.
As one disc was birght red and the pads were on the metal (only one side)

I stripped the calipers down/ cleaned out the pistons and applied some red "brake" grease... but the caliper one side is still sticking slightly one the handbrake is applied.
By slightly i mean a gentle nudge and it returns to the stop.

I thought about knocking up a little helper spring and bracket, but just came across this:
mk4 golf rear caliper - modification to help unstick handbrake - Club GTI

Sharan handbrake springs!!

Has anyone here done this mod?? does it work on an s3 caliper (as its still mk4 platform) .

Cheers.

Interesting, i think mine stick sometimes, never looked at my rear calipers properly, my car never seems to free wheel much...thanks i will look into this, i think a quick look under will confirm.

Its annoying me as i spent the last hour looking at them, but didnt take note weather the holes were the same.
Im going to order the springs tomorrow anyway, ill report back weather they work.

Ordered the springs today, The wern't a stock item so they will be with me Monday.

£1.30 each!! (trade)

Ok, I was slightly off the mark on the price.
Total for the Pair was: £3.18 (Trade)

Heres the NSR caliper before fitting the spring:
IMG_0119.jpg

Heres The OSR caliper after fitting the spring:
IMG_0118.jpg

Please Excuse The PTFE grease, it was there to help free off the sticky cable and prevent moisture ingress.

Really Easy mod, Handbrake is ****** lovely now :D

Sorry to bump an old thread, has anyone else done this mod and has it made a difference, Ive noticed my handbrake sticking quite a bit, especially when its cold and wet.

I have a day off this week, so wanted to give it a go if it was worth it.

Also, does anyone have the part numbers?

Another thing, how does this mod work and what does it do to make the handbrake stop sticking, i just dont get how the springs will have an effect?

Thanks
Nilz

Sorry to bump an old thread, has anyone else done this mod and has it made a difference, Ive noticed my handbrake sticking quite a bit, especially when its cold and wet.

I have a day off this week, so wanted to give it a go if it was worth it.

Also, does anyone have the part numbers?

Another thing, how does this mod work and what does it do to make the handbrake stop sticking, i just dont get how the springs will have an effect?

Thanks
Nilz

+1, i think we're in the same boat Nilz

It Helps move the linkage on the calliper, you can feel more resistance when applying the handbrake, its worth a go for the price of them but ultimately i bought 2 new re conned callipers....:icon_thumright:

1k0 615 295 left spring
1k0 615 296 right spring

Fitted these on a few cupra's which stopped the handbrake sticking, well worth doing for 3 or 4 quid!!

Hey thanks for the quick response Dave, I will give it a go this week and see if it makes a difference.

Quickly, do I just need to keep the handbrake off, get some pliers to squeeze the section, put one bit of the spring in the bottom hole, then the other in the top and thats it job done?

Thanks for those part numbers, what are they off?

The numbers I have just found off another site are:

7H0 615 295 and 296 (think they are the VW Sharan springs)

Hey thanks for the quick response Dave, I will give it a go this week and see if it makes a difference.

Quickly, do I just need to keep the handbrake off, get some pliers to squeeze the section, put one bit of the spring in the bottom hole, then the other in the top and thats it job done?
Yes you can do it with the handbrake on or off, just watch out as i think the springs are handed...

Got them off briskoda forum where they say they are from an a3

The springs are also under a lot of tension when trying to fit, so make sure they don't ping in ur face!!!

OK quick update, just ordered from VW, the part numbers are: 7H0 615 295A for the Nearside and 7H0 615 296 for the Offside - £4.27 all in.

Should be in tomorrow, so will see if I can fit them in the next couple of days and feedback then.

If anyone is going to order make sure you do add the A, as when I was doing it without this, VW were saying that its a back order part, where they have no idea of when it will be in and also costs £12.53 and actually looked different to the one that we need.

Hope that helps.

Had this happening to my handbrake and the caliper was permenately binding. Decided to just get another caliper for £90 on advice of my mechanic. He reckons you can keep freeing them up but they dont last too long.

Either that or he can make more money selling you a caliper and charging to fit it :)

Just to update.. I made this thread over 12 months ago and have had no issues since.

Always an option, but my caliper was proper binding, so much so that we could barely turn the back wheel when on the ramps, so I trusted his judgement. Surely cheaper to replace the calipers than to have them remove the old one, free up and replace seals. Then refit. As I think the caliper was around £80

Always an option, but my caliper was proper binding, so much so that we could barely turn the back wheel when on the ramps, so I trusted his judgement. Surely cheaper to replace the calipers than to have them remove the old one, free up and replace seals. Then refit. As I think the caliper was around £80
yeah same here, the springs helped but further down the line they got worse, i got 2 recon callipers for £170 then £70 back for the old ones...:)

Got the springs today, so hoping to get them fitted tomorrow, will report back and let you know how it goes....whilst on the subject, the car does feel 'heavy' as if its got extra weight when putting the power down, do you think this is linked to the brakes sticking and the springs hopefully sorting this?

Fitted the springs yesterday and the handbrake didnt stick this morning, although it wasnt that cold, so will monitor and update accordingly.

yeah same here, the springs helped but further down the line they got worse, i got 2 recon callipers for £170 then £70 back for the old ones...:)

got my one for £90 plus vat fitted, cant complain. Feels like a different car now

Not meaning to revive an old thread but it could be useful with the weather being cold and that being the start for most sticky rear brakes.

7H0 615 295A for the Nearside and 7H0 615 296 for the Offside - the part numbers Nilz posted are still the right ones as I've just ordered mine today for £5.02 all in

I'm hoping it will get rid of the constant Squeel I have aquired a few days ago. Had 2 new calipers fitted about a year ago so hopefully the springs will sort it. Makes driving the car unbearable

This is brilliant, looks like the spring are meant to be there. I too have struggled with rear caliper problems on my Mk4, unfortunately I have now sold it, kicking myself I never thought of something like this though.

Excellent post, just did the mod in about 5 minutes handbrake works perfectly thanks !!!!!:thumbsup:

I know its an old thread but I'm giving this a go this weekend as my calipers are sticking a bit