Volks AutosEM Tuning
Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    3rd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    bristol
    Posts
    647

    Power steering pump failure?

    Hey guys

    Just pulled into my road and as i turned into my space my steering went mega heavy and smoke came through the blower vents with a buning smell! Had a quick look and the aux belt is still intact so im guessing its the pump, is it a driveway job or am i best off putting it in a garage?

    Cheers in advance

  2. # ADS
    ADS
    Join Date
    Always
    Location
    Global
    Posts
    Many
     
  3. #2
    s3dave's Avatar
    TFSI Hybrid

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    west yorks
    Posts
    10,055
    Its possibly the metal pipe that has gone, very open to the elements esp the bad winter we have had

  4. #3
    3rd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    bristol
    Posts
    647
    Which pipe is that mate? Down behind the passanger wheel?

    Cheers

  5. #4
    s3dave's Avatar
    TFSI Hybrid

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    west yorks
    Posts
    10,055
    yes it goes down there then across the engine by the rad and back again, the other one is on the rack itself,
    if it is leaking by the passenger wheel it connects there to some rubber pipes

  6. #5
    fran-s3's Avatar
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    1,090
    could be worse mine did this without the smoke... booked into a VAG specialist and it turns out it's my steering rack that's leaking power steering fluid... 4 hours labour plus a new rack! Gutted. Hoping my pump will be ok despite screeching like heck when it ran dry.

  7. #6
    woody.dub's Avatar
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Essex
    Posts
    98
    Ive just fitted a new pump on mine, but this was due to fun in the snow lol

  8. #7
    Welly's Avatar
    Testing dodgy Chinese gear...

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Gloucestershire
    Posts
    10,680
    Not normally a pipe if there is smoke being produced. I know, I've cracked numerous PAS High pressure lines.

    Check the PAS reservoir for the fluid level to see if it's empty. If it is, fill with fluid and check for leaks.

    If no leaks, pump is likely.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Marriage is like a coffin and each kid is another nail."
    Homer Simpson

    Quote Originally Posted by Prawn View Post
    Wellyboots, you are quite literally my most favourite pikey in the entire world




  9. #8
    Welly's Avatar
    Testing dodgy Chinese gear...

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Gloucestershire
    Posts
    10,680
    Quote Originally Posted by fran-s3 View Post
    could be worse mine did this without the smoke... booked into a VAG specialist and it turns out it's my steering rack that's leaking power steering fluid... 4 hours labour plus a new rack! Gutted. Hoping my pump will be ok despite screeching like heck when it ran dry.
    Should be OK - mine has seen this a few times. It's not at it's best I admit now, but it has run dry 3 times...

    A bit noisy, but still works.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Marriage is like a coffin and each kid is another nail."
    Homer Simpson

    Quote Originally Posted by Prawn View Post
    Wellyboots, you are quite literally my most favourite pikey in the entire world




  10. #9
    s3dave's Avatar
    TFSI Hybrid

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    west yorks
    Posts
    10,055
    Quote Originally Posted by Welly View Post
    Not normally a pipe if there is smoke being produced. I know, I've cracked numerous PAS High pressure lines.

    Check the PAS reservoir for the fluid level to see if it's empty. If it is, fill with fluid and check for leaks.

    If no leaks, pump is likely.
    Yeah i was thinking it could have pissed all over the exhaust if it happened while he was driving

  11. #10
    3rd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    bristol
    Posts
    647
    exactly the pipe you said it was dave, what a ***** that is to get off! 40 for a new one and im back up and running but i think my pump has seen better days, its making a little squeeky noise on idle now, guessing from being run dry for a minute or two stupid pipe, cheers for the help again mate

  12. #11
    s3dave's Avatar
    TFSI Hybrid

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    west yorks
    Posts
    10,055
    No worries glad your sorted, they are a bit fiddly to get on and off 40, wasnt too bad....

  13. #12
    Chugger

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    North Devon
    Posts
    2,716
    The pumps are quite hardy. Mine ran for a while with low fluid because my cooler pipe also broke. Just make sure you keep checking the level as it will drop while air escapes. Also make sure you use correct fluid, apparently standard stuff is no good.
    57 A3 2.0 TDI Sportback (140)

  14. #13
    S3PEG's Avatar
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Bristol
    Posts
    99
    Quote Originally Posted by sportstractor View Post
    The pumps are quite hardy. Mine ran for a while with low fluid because my cooler pipe also broke. Just make sure you keep checking the level as it will drop while air escapes. Also make sure you use correct fluid, apparently standard stuff is no good.
    What's the best fluid to use?
    S3Peg
    Black S3, APR Chip, EBC Brakes, 18" RSTT's.

  15. #14
    s3dave's Avatar
    TFSI Hybrid

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    west yorks
    Posts
    10,055
    Audi VW hydraulic CHF 202 ,

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO

Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO