Lowered help!

Tom1991

Reaction score
Hi peeps just want some advice really. I have just lowered my a3 on fk coilovers and seem to have a problem were the coily adjusters and springs when wound down low rub on the inner tyre wall I have 225/45/17s on there at the min but and wanting to upgrade to maybe audi tt 18inch wheels is there a way to over come this problem and will I get this problem with 18 inch wheels I am thnking of stretching the tyres abit but will the wheel foul the adjusters rather than the tyre.

Help appreciated thanks.

yep get some spacers.

15mm at the back and 10mm tends to suit most

When you get the 18" wheels, go for ET35 and you will be fine.

The reason why your tyres are rubbing on the inside is because the offset is a little high (wheels are tucked inside) The lower the offset, the more the wheels stick out. As Steve said if you get spacers (10mm hubcentric) your rubbing issues will go because you would be be -10mm off your current offset eg ET45 + 10mm spacers = ET35

I had the same problem when i fitted my 19's

I had 235/35/19's and the coilover was rubbing badly so raised it up.

Ive since fitted some 215's on and managed to bring the coilover down another inch or so.

Now my problem is the tyres catching the arch and bending it. Grrrrr.

My 'persuasion stick' will come out to play soon.

Oh and my offset was ET35 after i fitted the 15mm adaptors. Couldnt afford to go any lower or itd rub on the arches worse.

My 'persuasion stick' will come out to play soon.

we used to adjust the distance between tyre and arch to about 2 inch, then we used to jack the car up and put an 8 inch length of scaffold between the wheel and arch. lower car and roll back and forth gently to flare the arch slightly.

would not recommend it though as it went wrong more often than right!! but good cheap way to roll inner lips on older cars

Ive used a grinder before to remove the lip from the arch.

Worked well! My arch liners are in a pretty bad shape now anyway so may consider 'adapting' them too.

Thanks for the advice I have got 5mm spacers but the wheel won't sit on the hub properly with them on and I need longer wheel bolts I would assume because the bolts only turn a few times before they go tight is this right?

Thanks for the advice I have got 5mm spacers but the wheel won't sit on the hub properly with them on and I need longer wheel bolts I would assume because the bolts only turn a few times before they go tight is this right?

You need hubcentric spacers bud