S3 Nearside inner CV joint.. all 6 bolts coming loose?!

coyle

From Show... to GO
Reaction score
for the second time in 3weeks my car has ground to a halt for the same reason..
the inner CV joint coming away from the gearbox.. all 6pins are working there way loose, meaning the cv joint and driveshaft aren't being given any drive.

most recently i got 6new bolts from audi, and covered them in locktight, and torqued them up.

2weeks later, all 6bolts are out again?!

anyone heard of this before? or know what could be causing it?

my diagnostic is adodgy inner cv joint, causing unwanted vibration, which is working the bolts loose?
is that possible?

ive gone ahead and ordered a replacement driveshaft hoping it will cure the problem.

this one will fit wont it?
AUDI TT QUATTRO 52 CONVERTIBLE N/S FRONT DRIVESHAFT on eBay (end time 01-Feb-11 12:43:58 GMT)

cheers
Jon

Did you set the torque correctly, or just set them to "tight"?

just "tight"
when i went to audi to pick up the bolts and 3washers i asked about the torque and they said they didn't know,
i asked in the tech/ sevice area too and didnt get an answer

It would pretty hard to get a torque wrench into them I would have thought?
I recently tightened mine using a 3/8 ratchet with the wheel nut wrench from the car's toolkit slipped over the end for leverage and tightening them diagonally. Also used loctite on the thread. A dod of bright paint on each nut/washer lets you look down from above with a torch to check for movement.

with a long bar on the torque wrench it would be ok i think, i did mine very tight, with loctite and it didn't work.
good idea on the paint to check for movement, but im realy trying to stop the movement, not keep track of it :(

Just checked and the Haynes manual says 40Nm if it's an M8 bolt or 70Nm if it's an M10 bolt.

thanks a lot mate, i'll check in the morning if its m8 or m10..

but 40Nm doesnt seen all that tight!

Perhaps not, but overtighten it and you'll stretch the bolt and it'll probably come loose again...

fair point!
i'll see what tomorrow brings (hopefully the driveshaft in the post)
fingers crossed it will fit too!

I had this problem with n/s driveshaft, only happened the once, refitted the shaft with a airgun and loctite and nod had any problems since, talking over 30k since it happened.