Am I being stung?? Is this a good deal for 2001 S3

Maz

Reaction score
Hi to all,
Happy New Year...

I've seen a lovely 2001 S3 225 for sale at £17,000 at an Audi dealership. So far (on the phone) I managed to get a two year warranty, 6 months tax, full tank and a discount of £500. Its a standard car with black leather recaros. symphony cd (no bose spks)and standard Avus rims, 1 owner 45k. Should I push for more or am I paying over the odds anyway?? I did also ask for a set of 18" RS4 alloys in exchange for the Avus + cash but he didnt seem interested - will try again in person.

I've booked a test drive this week and will know for sure whether I want it or not when I see it although I need to be armed with further tips or tactics to get a better deal.

Any help to become an s3 owner would be much appreciated.

Thanks

From an Audi dealership that a pretty good price if you work it out this way....
starting at 17000
The warranty if as good as the 1 year extension that you could get after the 3 years were up is worth about 500 a year. so thats a grands worth to you.
minus 500 quid
down to 15500 so far.
take away 50 for fuel
can't remember what road tax is but say 100
Not too shabby at all - especially if its had its 2nd major service, which at 45k i'd imagine it had.
Check the tyres. See if they need replacing.
I got mine- a 210bhp -privately for a nice wee bit less, but i had to factor in the cost of tyres and the service - so i'm taking the risk of the next service, hence the price i paid.
But i'd say if you like the car, you're not gonna do much better from a stealer.
just my $0.02 - wait till someone who knows what they are talking about agrees/disagres /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I paid £16k at start of Dec for my 2002 S3 with 26k on the clock - with what looks like exact same spec as the one you are looking at. This was after a lengthy national search (3 months) for the right price and condition.

It was not from a main 'stealer' (love that!), but did still have a few months manu warranty left and as Ian says this can be extended for just under £500.

If the main service has been done that's a big plus point also - in the region of £350 + £90 for the Haldex oil change.

If the car is the right spec/colour the 2 year warranty should give all the re-assurance you need. For me the wait was torture (although worth it), so if this one is right for you go for it, before someone else does!

Woo hoo i got two "right" in the same day!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Go for it Mazarus. If i was in the market right now - i'd be v.interested at that price! Depending on colour /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif and of course condition of car. but with warranty you really can't go wrong. As i say just check the wear and tear componenets, clutch, brakes, tyres as they may be an expense.

Hi C (another black s3 in glasgow!!)
Nice car and you got a good price too.
I have the 2nd major (its gonna be 39.5k)service coming up and prices are 280 for service 40 for haldex and 40 for brake fluid (never been done apparently!) from Audi.
Plus i need new tyres - well i don't NEED but they don't match across axles!
I got my car within 4 days of looking!! Hope that doesn't come back to bite me in ****!

i think there's gonna be a meet in Scotland sometime soon. Hope to see ya there!

Nice one - keep me posted on the meet!

Where did you get the service/oil prices from, Glasgow Audi? The prices I quoted where from Lancaster Audi who supplied my car originally. I sure won't be travelling that far for a service!!!

Only diff in our cars is 210 - 225 bhp - surely the stealer can't be charging more for the work because of this (why would I be surprised!)?

As for meets check out the meets section 28v6 i think is organisiing. But will do.

Steer clear of Glasgow Audi (not that i've used them) but see some of my other posts on Audi Garages near Glasgow and read the replies.

The prices come from Ayr Audi who the previous owner was using after getting p'ssed off with Glasgow Audi. They were good because they gave me a service history of the car on the phone before i bought it. eg. it had a new gearbox 3k ago. the owner had no record of this because it was done under warranty.

I am thinking of using Camerons of Perth and then take it Starperformance afterwards for chipping (depending on what Norwich Union say). Cameron's come highly recommended by quite a few mods here. The other option i am going to explore is take a trip down to Clydeside where there is an independent. on the recommendation of fallmonk as my car is out of warranty.

Hi Mazarus,
I've sent you a private message as my '02 S3 is for sale for £17500.00.
2002 '02 Audi S3, 28500 miles, FASH, Silver, Sunroof, Armrest, Rear parking sensors, Bose, Symphony 6 CD, Xenon's, Silver/Black Alcantera Leather/Suede, Heated Seats, 18" Mille Miglia Alloys, Alluminium mirrors, One owner from new, very well looked after, Stunning car.

Cheers peeps for your assistance, i'll let you know if all goes well this wkd.

[ QUOTE ]
Ian Logendra said:
As for meets check out the meets section 28v6 i think is organisiing. But will do.

[/ QUOTE ]

Excellent, I will keep a wee eye out too. Last year was a dissapointment. Hopefully will get more meets in this year. Esp now there are a few of us from the Glagow area. Airdrie meself!

Stevie

Hello peeps,
I've signed the dotted line and will pick up my dolphin S3 (2001/Y) facelift next week. (1 previous owner)

Turned up at the Audi stealership on Saturday fuming having found out that the car was a facelift 210 rather than a 225 as previosuly stated by the freshfaced salesman. ultimatley this didnt put me off, it gave me more negotiating rights after making a fuss so im not complaining.

The decision was easy after a stonking test drive. What a ride... The leather recaros are superb, avus rims unmarked with brand new tyres. The car is mint apart from a tiny dent in the drivers door that I demanded be sorted. As well as the two years warranty I eventually got a years tax and mot not forgetting the full tank. unfortunatley optimax was not an option!!!

Pushed hard for £16k but ended up paying £16,495 down from £17,000. Still think it should have went for less but didnt want to risk waiting months for another flipper, haven't seen any advertised recently around the £16k mark so decided to take it. ...anyway roll on next week.

congrats mate, and as i stated earlier: i think you got yourself a nice car for a nice price. The warranty on a 2001 car is a very nice for piece of mind /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Enjoy!!

So long as you got the facelift I would not worry about the BHP.
For me the S3 is the best mix of quality, performance and practicality available. Nice one - I'm sure you'll enjoy it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif