Standard Avus Wheels

absolutes3

Reaction score
Was wanting to know a bit more about these, Are these rare? When i bought my S3 i thought i would easily pick up a set of standard wheels pritty cheap. This seems to not be the case.

So whats the story with these? Why are they so hard to come by for standard wheels?

Ive been checking here, ebay, ukmkivs and gumtree and cant seem to get a decent set for a good price, Anyone have any pointer on where else to look?

Hmm, that seems strange, there always used to be sets for sale? Unless everyone with an S3 has taken them off, and everyone with an A3 has them already so doesn't want to sell them on. Could be due to the recession - people not upgrading wheels and sticking with what they have? You've tried the obvious places I would have looked at.

Can pick up a good set for 180 with ok tyres. Like most, will need a Refurb. Wouldn't say they are mega money? Perhaps bad timing, when I was looking for a set, there was loads

PM superkarl on here, he has a set for sale....

Thanks for the replies, There have been a couple on ebay recently. One set in bad condition went for £240 plus postage with tyres about 3mm. I thought that was a bit expensive. I remember a year or 2 ago they were going about cheap. The only 2 sets ive seen recently have been a set for £300 in shocking condition and a set for £400. Just thought that was a bit much for standard wheels.

Oh also if you have no luck with Karl, just have a look in your local alloy/tyre places, alot of them take them in as P/X for bigger alloys.

In Brum, at the local tyre outfits, you can pick up some bargains on some decent rims.

Oh also if you have no luck with Karl, just have a look in your local alloy/tyre places, alot of them take them in as P/X for bigger alloys.

In Brum, at the local tyre outfits, you can pick up some bargains on some decent rims.

Thanks mate, I dont have anywhere local but i will source some numbers tomorrow and phone around

I bought a set as spares recently in need of a refurb with no tyres for £60 but it did cost £28 to get them delivered...

<tuffty/>

I bought a set as spares recently in need of a refurb with no tyres for £60 but it did cost £28 to get them delivered...

<tuffty/>

Thats not a bad deal really, Suppose by the time there refurbed and tyres the price will soon add up.

Not if he gets them done at City Powder Coaters in Brum, £80 all in, cant be bad, had mine done there a while ago and they did a cracking job....

So dont be put off as refurbing wheels can be pretty cheap nowadays.

Nice one, I will keep City Power Coaters in mind as if the wheels are not local i could get them dropped off there before delivered to me so they arrive to me like new.

Thats not a bad deal really, Suppose by the time there refurbed and tyres the price will soon add up.

I plan to use them as winter wheels so I can get my RSTT's done properly for the summer/show season...

I bought a load of Simoniz wheel paint from ebay for less than £30 (6 X 500ML SIMONIZ SPRAY PAINT PRIMER + SILVER +LACQUER on eBay (end time 13-Feb-11 19:38:30 GMT)) and with a bit of chemical metal and some spare time that will be more than good enough for the planned use... have sprayed wheels in the past so fairly confident I can get these looking good..

<tuffty/>

Will keep that in mind aswell if the wheels i buy arnt in too bad condition.

On this subject, I went to my local tyre garage today for a pair to be fitted, and sitting in the corner were 4 17'' S3 alloys with decent tyres. Garage owner wanted £110 to get them out the way offered him £95, and I now have 4 S3 wheels on my car. In better nick then my TT reps and I got them for cheaper then 2 tyres would have cost me!! Result

Hey all,

Just to say I have put some rs4 wheels on mine and have a set of the avus 17"s for grabs. Needs 2 tryes on the rear. Fronts are p6000s with about 4mm of tred. No major damage on these. Odd scuff, But if your interested I will email you a pic of each wheel. I am in Horsham, Sussex.

Cheers

James

Yep iv kept my avus wheels with the intention of fitting winter tyres, just to stop summer ones being ruined and to aid traction. I started refurbing mine, but took ages to do one! So I think I might just get them powdercoated for durability.

I am really sceptical about the prices fetched on ebay - Did they REALLY sell ? But I suppose all it takes are two people who want to fight over them and the price to become ridiculous. If they are selling for that much I might just advertise mine was starting price £600 - after all they do have brand new goodyears asym tyres. So by ebay standards I am still selling cheap !

On this subject, I went to my local tyre garage today for a pair to be fitted, and sitting in the corner were 4 17'' S3 alloys with decent tyres. Garage owner wanted £110 to get them out the way offered him £95, and I now have 4 S3 wheels on my car. In better nick then my TT reps and I got them for cheaper then 2 tyres would have cost me!! Result

Now that is a good deal, I have made a couple of phone calls and only have one guy getting back to me.

Hey all,

Just to say I have put some rs4 wheels on mine and have a set of the avus 17"s for grabs. Needs 2 tryes on the rear. Fronts are p6000s with about 4mm of tred. No major damage on these. Odd scuff, But if your interested I will email you a pic of each wheel. I am in Horsham, Sussex.

Cheers

James

PM'd

Yep iv kept my avus wheels with the intention of fitting winter tyres, just to stop summer ones being ruined and to aid traction. I started refurbing mine, but took ages to do one! So I think I might just get them powdercoated for durability.

Thats a good idea, I think with the weather alot of people must be thinking the same.

I am really sceptical about the prices fetched on ebay - Did they REALLY sell ? But I suppose all it takes are two people who want to fight over them and the price to become ridiculous. If they are selling for that much I might just advertise mine was starting price £600 - after all they do have brand new goodyears asym tyres. So by ebay standards I am still selling cheap !

You do have a point, Not seen any relisted yet though.

I plan to use them as winter wheels so I can get my RSTT's done properly for the summer/show season...

I bought a load of Simoniz wheel paint from ebay for less than £30 (6 X 500ML SIMONIZ SPRAY PAINT PRIMER + SILVER +LACQUER on eBay (end time 13-Feb-11 19:38:30 GMT)) and with a bit of chemical metal and some spare time that will be more than good enough for the planned use... have sprayed wheels in the past so fairly confident I can get these looking good..

<tuffty/>

Managed to find a set with tyres (2 with only 2mm) for £100. Woohoo!!! Could you give me more details on this please tuffty? Is there a guide on here? Had a look but couldnt find anything.

i have a set in the garage referbed and with 7mm michelin sport contact 2 tyres. their in their cos ive just bought a set of referbed TT COMPETITION ALLOYS, they have always been one of my favs.

i have a set in the garage referbed and with 7mm michelin sport contact 2 tyres. their in their cos ive just bought a set of referbed TT COMPETITION ALLOYS, they have always been one of my favs.

I like tt comps, look great on a golf but not so good on an s3 IMO