Thermostat gone? any way to tell?

Y83OLK

Hulk Smash!
Reaction score
Hi all.
Recently after reading all the threads on here about faulty thermostats, im now suspecting mine to be faulty.
Is there any way to tell for certain?

I have also read about 49* on the climate control, does anyone have any info on how to access this?
to get a true temperature reading.

My temp' gauge takes a long time to move, then sits around 70*c (not sure weather this is a fault or purely because of the colder weather)
I also get a lot of white smoke/ steam from the exhaust for the first 15-20 mins of driving (overfueling??)

Any help appreciated.

Callum

Sounds very much like your 'stat bud, pretty simple fix for yourself if you have some patience or just let a garage do it for you.

I had the exact same symptons as you and changed the 'stat and everything was running perfectly again, also got a pretty good MPG increase.

I wouldn't change the temp sender unless you've got money to waste, do it as and when. :blackrs4:

Last edited:
If your temp doesnt sit solid at 90c then its gone.

Change the temp sender at the same time.

Fair enough, Was hoping its just the cold weather.
Mind you it does take a while to defrost my screen currently.
Hopefully that'll improve along with my mpg :D

Yeah, mines a b*tch at the moment for misting etc, hopeing the thermostat will cure it.

did mine the other day, pain in the **** to get at the bottom bolt!

haven't seen much rise in mpg (if any)
i may need to replace the CTS aswell

Ive heard they can be a bit of a pain to change, there are quite a few decent guides on the net though, the part itself it pretty cheap.

Luckily i just got mine done when i had the cambelt done, so all in one go...sits bang on 90 now, as it used to before it went.

I got a local garage to do my wifes 1.8T just before Xmas, i didnt fancy freezing my fingers off, had to take it back to them twice because it was leaking coolent from the stat cover. total cost was £79, but kept my fingers. Temp now sits bang on 90.

DC

Yeah, i'd be pretty careful to do both bolts up pretty squarely, abit of gasket wouldn't go amiss but isn't required.

replace the CTS fiirst as it is a 1 minute job. i did my thermostat and it was actually the CTS that was dead!

Just fitted my stat.
Less than 10 mins of running the car up it hit bang on 90*c... Guess that was the fault then.

Not too bad of a job, i found it easier to undo the 'wiring clamp' on the alternator to get onto the bottom bolt square.
Also broke the dipstick guide (luckily i ordered one along with the stat from gsf)
Also stuck a small smear of silicone round the housing, as i dont want it leaking lol.

Unfortunatly our supplies of g12 are spent so i had to refill with Ford spec pink stuff (Eugh) may drain and refill when i get a spare 10 minutes.

Nice one, glad you got it sorted...quick and easy in your case.