Had a play with a Volvo 850 T5.

Stanley

Reaction score
Last night i noticed an S plated Volvo 850 Estate come flying up behind me and follow me, goading me for a play.

I of course obliged (once i had worked out it wasnt the boys in blue)....

Im pleased to say he couldnt get past me! He only started to gain on me at 120ish and it was very gradual!

Anyone else had a play with these?

You mean you were on a motorway and were doing no more than 70mph? lol

It's nice when you meet another car willing to go fast on the same private road as you isn't it?

Sounds about right to me, power to weight would be fairly similar, 190bhp A3 at 1250kgs is around 150bhp/ton, volvo at 225bhp and maybe 1600kgs would be 140bhp/ton

Theres alot of private roads around my way ;-)

The owner was impressed at the pace of my A3!

Glad to see its going as it should too!

It did however go into limp mode after it which was a bit of a pest. Does this after a good thrashing.

Any ideas why that might be?

Theres alot of private roads around my way ;-)

The owner was impressed at the pace of my A3!

Glad to see its going as it should too!

It did however go into limp mode after it which was a bit of a pest. Does this after a good thrashing.

Any ideas why that might be?

Does it go into limp mode during being beaned, or after? If during, most likely to be an overboost issue. Hard to say if after... VAG COM for the win - scan it for codes and it will point you in the right direction.

Last edited:
When I had my 1.8T golf and it played up like that it was the throttle body needed a clean out, not saying this is your issue but it would be a good place to start. Doesnt sound like an overboost issue as that would do it whilst being thrashed. Check to see if you have any air leaks in the system also.

It does it after a hammering which is odd.

Slowly coasted down from many leptons per hour, then when i turned off into a junction, i had next to no boost. Removing actuator to N75 valve pipe creates lots of boost so somethings amiss....

T5's are 250hp aren't they. Ford de tuned the engine for the focus.
The t5 R have 300.
Those engines are awesome, even in my mrs st, god knows what it's like in an R Volvo. They're so torquey and sound great

My father had a V70 T5 for a while, superb car, really pushed on when the loud pedal was pressed!

It does it after a hammering which is odd.

Slowly coasted down from many leptons per hour, then when i turned off into a junction, i had next to no boost. Removing actuator to N75 valve pipe creates lots of boost so somethings amiss....

i get the exact same as u when ya frash it lad then let off the gas or come to a stop and put foot back down its limp mad switch engine back off its fine

no mine ok once i turn engine off im running 20psi on a standered ko4 that might be why not got best of maps either

yesterday i was doing 20mph and then turned to go a hill put foot down and nothing there its like i 1.6 petrol lol does head in

trying to findout how toclean frottle body doin to do it this weekend see what happens the