help. advise on 1.8t

hopper

Reaction score
been looking on this forum for a while now, im currently looking at either a 1.8t or 1.8tq. i have done searchs but can any1 tell me the main problems or faults to look for on both cars. i have already gathered that most pepole prefer the tq. any help is apreciated.

If you look at the S3 buying guide it should give you a good insight into the 1.8TQ.

S3 Buying Guide

I was gonna get a 1.8TQ before i got impatient and got an S3. And its a damn fine car too.

Hi hopper,

Welcome to the site /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Ok, well I'd say the A3 is a pretty reliable motor. Reports of the most popular thing to go wrong is the water pump. Not so expensive for the parts to replace but the labour is a lot. In general I'd say do the 'usual' checks as you would with any car, FSH - check it out, when's the next one due etc?

The cambelt needs to be done around 80k (which is a costly afair, if done ask if the water pump was replaced at the same time...any reputable servicing company and level headed owner would have the water pump replaced when the cam was being done).

i'm sure I'm blatently missing something quite obvious, but if so someone will pop along and put me right! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif I would have liked a TQ, there should be more running costs involved with a TQ, brakes/tyres etc.

Try and go for a facelift example 06/2000+ (IIRC) if you can afford it.

Hope some of this helps.

I ain't hit a major problem yet like my old car was giving me - hope it stays this way!

Rob